Randy Shannon hired to be Co-DC, Associate HC, LB coach, recruiting coordinator - will help us more

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fact is that Shannon is the Muschamp of UM. Horrible HC, but undeniably good on the defensive side of the ball. We're getting him as a LB coach.....can't wait to see the young fellas develop

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n140208]I'm all over this hire, esp from the perception of what it does for South Florida recruiting. Shannon's a terrific defensive coach and I anticipate the rapport with the players to be every bit of what it was with Robinson. McElwain's putting together one helluva staff if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

:exactly:Exactly!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n140219 said:
Erin Andrews seal of approval.

@ErinAndrews: Love this!! RT @BruceFeldmanCFB: #Arkansas LB coach Randy Shannon will join Jim McElwain's defensive staff at #UF, source tells @FoxSports.

Oh, hell yes!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I always thought Randy was an excellent assistant coach and a terrible head coach. With that said he is walking into a complete bare cupboard at the LB position at UF. Even if Morrison comes back, he is a terrible out of the box LB and everyone else on the roster has shown absolutely zero. I don;t know which returning unit is worse LB or O-line.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n140219 said:
@ErinAndrews: Love this!! RT @BruceFeldmanCFB: #Arkansas LB coach Randy Shannon will join Jim McElwain's defensive staff at #UF, source tells @FoxSports.

Well, that does it. I'm all aboard now.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Maybe he should have said this will help me become a Gator more than you'll ever know. :dunno:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n140418 said:
Great hire! All the COACHES in south fla know this playa is who they want their boys recruited by!!!
FIFY. In the words of Doc Holliday, we don't recruit the players, we recruit the coaches.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
We tend to forget that Miami played the eventual National Champions pretty tough the year Shannon made his famous post-game comment. That great Gator team gained only 89 yards rushing and about 250 passing....that's with Tim, Harvin and company. I think Shannon has a pretty solid reputation as a defensive coach and would expect that he will be a big help in south Florida recruiting. It's not like UF has had a busy pipeline to that part of the state in recent years.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n140492 said:
We tend to forget that Miami played the eventual National Champions pretty tough the year Shannon made his famous post-game comment. That great Gator team gained only 89 yards rushing and about 250 passing....that's with Tim, Harvin and company. I think Shannon has a pretty solid reputation as a defensive coach and would expect that he will be a big help in south Florida recruiting. It's not like UF has had a busy pipeline to that part of the state in recent years.

You are bringing logic into a purely emotional argument. The guy I work for threatens to staple our lips shut when we do this. How dare you?

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
jereed16;n140497 said:
You are bringing logic into a purely emotional argument. The guy I work for threatens to staple our lips shut when we do this. How dare you?

Interesting but I would not work very long for your boss and perhaps his boss needs to address this sort of issue. Unless boss is wife then divorce would be mandatory.

Or perhaps this is humor that I have difficulty recognizing??? If so ignore my comments.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
jereed16;n140497 said:

Sorry, I momentarily forgot I was on a sports message board where vitriol and baseless opinions abound and logic is a rare and under-appreciated value.

BTW, I like your avatar very much. We just had to put down our 13 year old golden retriever last week. Still in mourning.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I know he's a great LB coach, DC and recruiter, but I still think his character is mildly suspect, maybe because of my O&B glasses. Anyway, I think our recruiting class will get a major boost at LB. Even this late in the process, he should still be able to pull in 5-6 LBs. Next year, he'll reel in 12-15 of 'em.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
FireFoley;n140467 said:
into a complete bare cupboard at the LB position at UF. Even if Morrison comes back, he is a terrible out of the box LB
Terrible out of the box !!!!! Didn't you see how many assisted tackles he had 20 yards down the field this year.....Hell at one point I thought they had moved him to safety:lmao:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n140347 said:
Anyone who ever made the quote "it will help us more than you'll ever know" because you're butthurt a late FG was kicked in a game you were already down 3 TD's, is a flake.

I'm glad he's here for recruiting. I have my doubts he can coach a lick.

Looking back I loved the fact that the FG made the score appear better than it really was.....Now I think we should have just chucked it into the endzone.....I bet Randy would have respected that more than a piss ant FG.

"I'm glad he's here for recruiting. I have my doubts he can coach a lick." [/QUOTE]
Ox, have you ever tried to count how many defensive players from UM played in the NFL during Shannon's time at there. I'll bet it's probably a lot more than from UF. I'll bet it's more than any other school for that matter.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Why is it that people complained that Champ didn't recruit thugs and that is part of the reason why we were mediocre, yet when we hire a position coach who was formerly associated to a huge scandal involving several of his thug players at UM, everyone flips out? Can't have it both ways. If Shannon attracts a certain questionable element out of S FL and we, in turn, start playing for titles, I bet all the nay-sayers will forget ever protesting this hire.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=63809

Shannon could shake things up

It didn’t take long for news of Randy Shannon’s impending hire as the linebackers coach at Florida to make the rounds with the prospects Wednesday. Shannon had become one of Arkansas’ top recruiters and was doing a very nice job in South Florida for the Razorbacks.

He’ll now be doing the same thing for the Gators, and that could help Florida in its efforts to reel in top uncommitted talent such as ESPN 300 outside linebacker Jeffery Holland.

“That’s my boy,” Holland said. “We have a great relationship. That’ll help Florida out a lot with me.”

Holland, however, still has Auburn as his leader but will likely take a visit to Florida after the dead period ends. Another linebacker, Richard McBryde, is committed to Auburn but said Sunday that he is planning to visit Florida in January. McBryde, however, said he hasn’t spoken with Shannon before and doesn’t know much about him

Notre Dame four-star linebacker commit Te'Von Coney, who mentioned at the beginning of the week that he would take an official visit to Florida after the dead period ends, said that he likes Shannon, but has decided not to take an official visit to Florida.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Out of curiosity, if Shannon is such a great defensive mind, why is he a position coach instead of a DC somewhere?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hey if he's good enough to coach for Bielema then he must be pretty damned good. Their defense was made up of a bunch of recruits who wouldn't make a Pop Warner team, except for Flowers, and look how good they ended up being......

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n140555 said:
Out of curiosity, if Shannon is such a great defensive mind, why is he a position coach instead of a DC somewhere?

That's a good question because during Shannon's six years as UM's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked as follows in total defense nationally:
Source: Wiki

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.