Replacing Grantham

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Serious question. Is he really a great recruiter? Or, is he great because he was at bama? I ask because I've read a few articles saying he wasn't just struggling as DC. He was completely overwhelmed when it came to play-calling.
He has been a great recruiter going back to when he was at Cal and later U Wash. If it were up to me I'd hire a DC who could also coach safeties (and dump you know who) and add Lupoi as a second D-line coach. At Bama he was the primary recruiter for Najee Harris, Tua and Dylan Moses. Not too shabby.
Just for fun, I looked at one of the classes when he was at Cal (2010). In that class, Cal finished 11th and had 9 blue chippers. Lupoi was the primary on six of those, including both the 5*s they signed and was the secondary recruiter on another. Significantly, two of the BC's were from North Carolina, demonstrating an ability to recruit outside his back yard.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So we’d want Lupoi. Would Lupoi want us?

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
We’re not getting a Lupoi or Venables. What can we offer?
- more money? No. Too cheap.
- better job security? No.
- make a name for himself by improving a crappy defense and pushing us over the edge toward a championship? No. The D has been a team strength, not in the same situation when Spurrier hired Stoops.
- stepping-stone to head coaching gig better than current employer? No.

Be careful what you ask for. If Grantham leaves, we will get an up and coming non-Power 5 coordinator or one from a smaller program looking to test themselves in the SEC (eg Bryan Brown at Louisville); or someone out of work (eg Marquand Manuel); or a power 5 position coach looking for a promotion; or promote from within.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen’s going into year #3 of a rebuild with the wind at his back. That’s not exactly a circumstance that lends itself to taking a flyer on a new DC. To the contrary, I’m pretty sure he’s going to go with a proven name.

If that means Strong, who knows Mullen, knows Florida, knows the SEC, knows recruiting in Florida, then so be it.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I’ve read numerous articles on Lupoi at bama. As long as he isn’t calling plays as DC, I’m good with the hire. But holy hell, I’ll crap bricks if he is allowed to call plays after the unmitigated disaster at bama.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Mullen’s going into year #3 of a rebuild with the wind at his back. That’s not exactly a circumstance that lends itself to taking a flyer on a new DC. To the contrary, I’m pretty sure he’s going to go with a proven name.

If that means Strong, who knows Mullen, knows Florida, knows the SEC, knows recruiting in Florida, then so be it.

The same Strong that hasnt had a top 20 defense in over five years?

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
Phil Parker from Iowa State is a long shot to be coaxed into making a lateral move, considering that there might be programs eyeing him as a HC candidate. His LB coach Seth Wallace has been talked about as an up-and-coming DC prospect, but he will probably have to audition in that role at a smaller school first before being worthy of SEC-level consideration.

Who says it'd be a Lateral Move?

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
Jim Leavitt, Mike MacIntyre, Don Brown, T Rob would be where I start. Mike MacIntyre would be my top choice.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The same Strong that hasnt had a top 20 defense in over five years?

I’m speculating Mullen’s thinking. He could do better, he could do worse. The main thought is his not wanting to rock the boat. Foley tried to get cute and look where that got him.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Zack Arnett from San Diego State would be a good candidate, but it's doubtful he will leave his mentor, HC Rocky Long, for anything other than a head coaching position. Arnett played LB for Long when he was coaching at New Mexico, so they go way back.

Then again, maybe he's ready to spread his wings and fly on his own. And earn a big paycheck that he doesn't have to pay California state income tax on.
Played his HS ball at my sons' school. Watched him play a lot. Good kid; has a good reputation here in the Land of Enchantment.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
The only defenses that allowed fewer PPG than his were Clemson, UGA and Ohio State.

While the stats look good, I am always cautious with numbers from non p5 schools.

Hell Rocky Long was offering himself as a P5 DC. Why not him

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Whoever we get, he needs to recruit like his hair is on fire (or Aaron Hernandez has a gun to this head).

Honestly, DC shouldnt really have to worry about recruiting too much. Positional coaches are for that and that's where we fall flat with English and Knox. However, Grantham has brought in some players as a lead recruiter.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
anyone know anything about Clark Lea at ND?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.