RUMOR: Mullen is out

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Some good points but nothing you said screams that taking over at Florida is a top notch job, other than the compensation $$$$$$.

Terrible facilities, very little support from the Administration, no current tradition of Great success, lousy AD, no budget for expanded support staff, no depth because of poor recruiting, apathetic fan support, etc, etc.....

The fact that we have been getting 2nd and 3rd string coaches shouldn't be a surprise... It's what this Administration wants and accepts...... At this point, I'll echo what someone else already said... I have no confidence that this Administration can\will pick the Winner that UF needs and deserves.

Let’s be clear. McElwain is one step from being a produce manager at WinnDixie and even he managed to get the ball rolling on facilities upgrades. He made it part of his initial pitch. So as much as we’re behind, the right coach could absolutely kick that into a higher gear if he wanted to. Given his attitude with everything else, I doubt Mullen even cared.

As for selling points, Meyer himself laid them out. Few jobs afford you the ability to be recruiting all day and home by dinner time. There’s a NC winning legend down the hall that is more than happy to give advice and support. There are passionate fans who show up and support you even if it’s Samford and you’re 4-5 with a lame duck staff. There is easy tradition to sell to recruits and staff, the East is not exactly a daunting path, and Gainesville is a great place to live.

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Serious question........ Why would anyone want to Coach at Florida?

Even Spurdog left because of the unreasonable expectations of the Fan's.

Unreasonable? Compared to where? Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, etc etc. You realize we’ve won more championships in the last 30 years than most of those schools?

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yeah. Florida is a tough job. Expectations are high and unrealistic at times. But to gloss that over as if it is something that would keep a great coach from coming here is stupid. We didn't get to this toxic point in the Mullen era by unrealistic fan expectations. We got here because Mullen ignored a bunch of important things required to be done to be successful at UF and fans/journalists/media started point that out. It is year 4 in his tenure and the program is sinking fast with no blame at all on fan expectations.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Serious question........ Why would anyone want to Coach at Florida?

Even Spurdog left because of the unreasonable expectations of the Fan's.

We can pay top dollar but we have very little other to offer.
Spurrier left a $2M per year gig for a $5M a year gig with a challenge he’d always dreamed of.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Spurrier left a $2M per year gig for a $5M a year gig with a challenge he’d always dreamed of.

After a 10+ year stop at UF and coincidentally after Foley ignored his request for some help. As if SOS even cared what a fan said.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
After a 10+ year stop at UF and coincidentally after Foley ignored his request for some help. As if SOS even cared what a fan said.
Fans at every Top 25 program are unrealistic. On the Bama boards, they’ve said that Saban should be fired or retired every time Bama loses a game! :lol:
We’re no different than any top program with our expectations.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. Florida is a tough job. Expectations are high and unrealistic at times.
That could be the description for every damn FBS college football program. You could use that to describe the New Mexico State job. I detest this fantasy that Gator fans are different than all the others. We aren't.

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Fans at every Top 25 program are unrealistic. On the Bama boards, they’ve said that Saban should be fired or retired every time Bama loses a game! :lol:

If anything our expectations have slipped. A large chunk of the fanbase now thinks our expectations should be in line with those of Arky or NC State.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You moron. SoS left because Foley didn't support him and he wanted to try the NFL.
I never put much into this except once you start putting all the other pieces and facts together that is exactly what happened. I also think Urban’s statement about the program being broken was less about him and the back office support or lack of it. I’d never think we’d be wanting for that but it appears so.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If anything our expectations have slipped. A large chunk of the fanbase now thinks our expectations should be in line with those of Arky or NC State.
Good point. If nothing else, NOW is the time to come to UF, when expectations are in the toilet. No one is expecting to compete for NC's (or even SEC's) any time soon.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Florida is one of a handful of schools that can quickly win, and win big with the right coach.

Agreed. All the talk about us not having the talent to compete, etc./etc./etc. is BS. Our problem, plain & simple, is we’ve got a shytti head coach and staff and the two HCs before this current bum were shytti head coaches with shytti staffs.

Recruiting issues will be a problem in upcoming years because of Mullen but make no mistake about it…prior to now, a good HC could have killed it on the field at Florida.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Good point. If nothing else, NOW is the time to come to UF, when expectations are in the toilet. No one is expecting to compete for NC's (or even SEC's) any time soon.
My expectations (since Spurrier arrived) have always been, every year: 1) compete for the SEC championship 2) beat the leghumpers.

Any football coach, hired in at UF, should have those two expectations in their contract.

I don't rate beating FSU as contractual. 1) they are a girls school ... so who cares 2) They are not in our conference

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with the Bamma fans 100%.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No coach ever seems to want our job. It seems like thats how we got corch don millens in the first place.

Big name candidates can quickly see the lack of admin support for athletics, and what a tool we have as an AD.

That's why Clausen and Chadwell should both at least get a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.