SOURCES: While not yet public, Will Muschamp has been fired *UPDATED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You hear all the time that winning will change things. I never thought one win could erase 3 years of being inept. He will not be here next year.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree we could be better without Champ but I don't see a replacement that would be worth the issues that they would have to work through. If he wins out in the SEC and shows improvement another year would be justified. No more extensions ever. Next year a real receiver coach and perhaps some other improvements. Time will tell.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n97237 said:
Well, I have talked to a lot of Gator fans today and I can tell you more than 90% think he should keep his job if he wins out. Probably 50% believe he should be retained if we beat Vandy, USCe and that scrub team convincingly. They are ok with a loss to FSU, as ling as it's a game. I agree with the first group - if he wins out, he should keep his job. I look at things in a little different way than most. I refuse to consider last year's record and 2011, because of how bad the mess was thst Urban left behind. So, if you take 2012 & 2014 records, considering he wins out, we would be 20 & 5. That's not a bad record, especially, when you consider the giant holes Meyer left in our roster and the number of young players that we have in key positions. I have seen things click with teams, after facing adversity. It could be that this team has made that leap, now that Harris is the starting QB. Once again, let the season play out. We may be pleasantly surprised.

Most fans I talk to want him gone but do think he probably will be retained if we win the next 3 games because of Foley. Things will get interesting if we do beat Vandy and SC.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n97237 said:
Well, I have talked to a lot of Gator fans today and I can tell you more than 90% think he should keep his job if he wins out. Probably 50% believe he should be retained if we beat Vandy, USCe and that scrub team convincingly. They are ok with a loss to FSU, as ling as it's a game. I agree with the first group - if he wins out, he should keep his job. I look at things in a little different way than most. I refuse to consider last year's record and 2011, because of how bad the mess was thst Urban left behind. So, if you take 2012 & 2014 records, considering he wins out, we would be 20 & 5. That's not a bad record, especially, when you consider the giant holes Meyer left in our roster and the number of young players that we have in key positions. I have seen things click with teams, after facing adversity. It could be that this team has made that leap, now that Harris is the starting QB. Once again, let the season play out. We may be pleasantly surprised.

:suicide:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/colle...schamp/2202998

For those who thought Florida's abysmal performance in Saturday night's 42-13 loss to Missouri would lead to Will Muschamp's firing this week, that's not the case after all.
On Monday afternoon, Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley publicly ended that speculation, saying Muschamp is going nowhere — at least right now.

Foley reiterated what he's said the past several months and heading into fall camp: Muschamp will be evaluated on his body of work this season. And since the season isn't over, neither is the evaluation process.
At least not yet.
Foley said in a statement he will continue to monitor and evaluate the program throughout the remainder of the season.
"At the beginning of the season we said we would evaluate the season as it plays out," Foley said. "We will continue to do so."
For now, his focus is on the Gators as they prepare to play No. 9 Georgia in Jacksonville on Nov. 1. Florida has a bye this week.
"Our sole focus right now is supporting our coaching staff and players as they prepare for Georgia," Foley said.
On Monday, Muschamp was out on the recruiting trail and a photo of him broadly smiling at a high school was posted on Twitter. Saturday night he said he was concerned about his team, not his job status.
"You look in the mirror and figure what we need to do to improve," Muschamp said.

This sure makes it seem Foley was waiting on one more loss reading it and you would think the leaks would be in the paper already if he was 100% fired already. A lot of the talking heads on TV etc. said sources were telling them he would be fired after a Georgia loss but I haven't seen any of them claiming he was already fired and was just finishing out the season - not that I remember anyway.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Wow. Its so sad to see how fans are willing to readily accept failure. The swamp is no longer feared. Its the "pond". Ga southern drained the place. NOBODY fears us and rightfully so. Worst teams we have seen in 30 years. Recruits are dropping us like flies and we rank lower than Ga southern in stats. The absolute most negative records ever set in a short time period. We used to be a top tier program. We have fallen and fallen hard. It will absolutely take a good coach to turn this around.....Champ will not be on our sidelines next year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The blind loyalty to a guy who is 16-14 in the SEC is reprehensible.

That flat out sucks at UF and should not be tolerated. Winning ONE UGA game and a couple cupcakes should not let him keep his job. Nothing but excuse after excuse after excuse. It is disgusting and any fan wanting to keep this garbage should be examined for a head injury. This is the worst the East has been in a long long time.

It's a damn cripple fight. No one wants to play for him and if we keep him it will take years to recover from a half decade of Will Muschamp. He's shown me nothing that says he's a winner...nothing.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n97285 said:
You know Mason didn't look like he had a problem throwing in those winds. What happens if we don't execute the fake successfully and they score? We probably end up getting trounced.

Fortunately, we did. And it was us that did the trouncing...for once. I enjoyed every second of it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n97276 said:
This. I agree with Pat and Robbie in their post-game video. If you rooted for the Gators to lose to the Dogs, you are not a Florida fan. Period.
I'm certainly not aware of any Gator fans that were actually pulling for UGA. And neither are you.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97329 said:
I'm certainly not aware of any Gator fans that were actually pulling for UGA. And neither are you.

Seriously, I've never seen anyone root against the Gators no matter how much they hate the Chump. That's some weird narrative played out by the pumpers. Absolutely false.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97329 said:

But I've seen plenty that were obviously upset we won.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97329 said:

How many people on here have stated that they'd gladly take a loss if it meant Muschamp would be gone? They've been saying it on here since the Bama game. So yes people have been rooting against the Gators because of their hate for Muschamp.

As for the Zook comparisons, Zook would've likely had another year if not for the convergence of both Meyer's availability and the frat house incident.

If we win the SEC East with solid play (like the UGA game), the recruits will come. If we "back" into the game with lack luster play, some will come and some will pass. But we've heard all season that kids are waiting to see who the coaches will be and how the offense performs. Well we've seen half of an offense. Hopefully they'll open it up some against Vandy. We've all seen that Treon can pass the ball. How consistently has yet to be seen.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n97353 said:
I've never seen anyone root against the Gators no matter how much they hate the Chump. That's some weird narrative played out by the pumpers.

Another weird narrative playing out is that the Foley/Muschamp haters refer to anyone openly rooting for the Gators to win each week as "pumpers."

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n97367 said:
Nobody is upset that we defeated our hated rival; heck, we are not even upset how we defeated them. I didn't hear one person at our Gator watch party say 'stop running the ball.'
We are upset because we fear that Muschamp will stick to an offensive philosophy with a high likelihood of predictability and mediocrity.
If we would have won this game by the same result, but Treon passed for 200 yards, then I guarantee many people, myself included, would say "coach has changed his philosophy, let's hope it works for the rest of the season." Nobody is expecting Treon to become a superstar overnight, but I don't think 25 pass attempts and 150-200 yards is much to ask for in our quarterback (not only for the sake of fans' enjoyment, but for beating the opponent)
In conclusion, our criticism about Muschamp is not only about his past failures, but the future of a boring predictable offensive philosophy which will result in a mediocre record.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n97392 said:
We are not upset that we won, but disappointed how we won. This type of playcalling was fine for UGA b/c they couldn't stop us, and the coaches were right to continue running, but this philosophy is unsustainable. If we would have won this game by the same result, but Treon passed for 220 yards, then I guarantee many people, myself included, would say "coach has changed his philosophy, let's hope it works for the rest of the season."
Our criticism about Muschamp is not only about his past failures, but the future of a boring predictable offensive philosophy which will result in a mediocre record.

I'd say whatever method that resulted in what was for all intents and purposes a 38-13 win over the #11 team in the country worked just fine. If we had squeaked out a 13-12 victory doing what we did, I could understand the trepidation, but we killed them.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
We are not upset that we won, but disappointed how we won. This type of playcalling was fine for UGA b/c they couldn't stop us, and the coaches were right to continue running, but this philosophy is unsustainable. If we would have won this game by the same result, but Treon passed for 220 yards, then I guarantee many people, myself included, would say "coach has changed his philosophy, let's hope it works for the rest of the season."
Our criticism about Muschamp is not only about his past failures, but the future of a boring predictable offensive philosophy which will result in a mediocre record.

How he won??? Really??? The wind was blowing 30+ miles an hour. The O-line and running backs have never learned pass protection and the last game was fumbled away. So he ran and it worked. The objective of good coaching is to win and to call plays that work and to eliminate turnovers. Are you and all your other whiney compadres that pathetic?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n97367 said:

I don't know who's unhappy about winning but I think people are worried about this becoming a Mark richt situation

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I have yet to see where he has said we're going to run it 60 times every game now. The game plan for UGA wasn't to run it 60 times, but it was working, the wind was strong and there really wasn't a reason to start slinging the ball all over the field. I highly doubt they will run the ball THAT much in future games so getting worked up about it is a bit silly right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.