Spring Practice thread: Report: OT Noah Banks has been cleared to play

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Inside what? He has been a 3-4 outside LB, period.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Yes, Chatfield is ready to play. My only issue w/ Chatfield is his size - he was listed at 6'2 225 or so coming out of HS....now he's listed at 6' even. I personally think a 6 foot DE has limited upside in the SEC. I hope it was a drunken intern making a typical roster error (like two years ago when they listed 6'6 TJ Moore at 6' even for half the season). There's plenty of bodies to fill that role where Diabate (and Summerall) won't be needed this year. Those kids can play (up to) their 4 games, but I don't see them not redshirting. There's also bigger, more experienced guys like Zach Carter, A. Clayton, and Luke Ancrum - sure, none of them are stars, but they're bigger, stronger, older, and more experienced than a 208lb Diabate or 199lb Summerall.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Yeah, Moon and/or Diabate was a bad example/analogy/guess.

That's who is mentioned in the article. He is assuming someone has to take Zuniga's spot in that package. So, he mentioned Moon and Diabate. Truth is, it could be anyone, like Carter or Clayton. My guess is Grantham will rotate a number of guys in that spot to see who plays best.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That's who is mentioned in the article. He is assuming someone has to take Zuniga's spot in that package. So, he mentioned Moon and Diabate. Truth is, it could be anyone, like Carter or Clayton. My guess is Grantham will rotate a number of guys in that spot to see who plays best.

I expect Moon to play a lot - he did last year. But he needs more size to be more effective. And I expect Carter to have a much bigger role this year, along w/ Clayton and Ancrum. Diabate's time will come, but he's too light and inexperienced. He'll be a stud before he's done here though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd really like to see him play some defensive tackles at the defensive tackle position, and some defensive ends at the defensive end position, instead of playing defensive ends at the defensive tackle position and linebackers at the defensive end position.

Perhaps if we did that, our run defense wouldnt be #40.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'd really like to see him play some defensive tackles at the defensive tackle position.

I was thinking the same thing. Why not recruit DTs who can rush the passer or at least push the pocket? A crazy concept I know, but worth a try. Who knows, it just might work.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I do not understand the hatred for Driskel. You give Brantley a pass over bad coaching but not Driskel? I don't get it
I think it is bc Brantley was capable of passing for 100 yards a game and didnt cause 4-6 turnovers anytime he had to do something other than handoff.

He also wasnt a windowlicking retard who bragged about being lazy bc he had so much talent.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I do not understand the hatred for Driskel. You give Brantley a pass over bad coaching but not Driskel? I don't get it.

Given what Mullen had done with Franks, I would love to see what Mullen could do with Driskel!

Driskel was a turnover machine. He hardly ever made the right read. He loved to throw underneath and he probably averaged like 4 yards per attempt. I don’t think Mullen could have done anything with him. I don’t think he had it upstairs.

Franks has it upstairs. He was just incredibly raw when he came in and had no idea how to read defenses. And then he got into this “woe is me” mentality that MacElstain infected the entire team with. In his last interview that I saw this spring practice he seemed to admit that he had maturity issues and that he’s had to learn how to lead. So there seems to be some growth.

Franks’ biggest issue is anticipation. And I think Mullen does a very good job of hiding this deficiency by giving him quick reads. But that often leads to busted plays.

I think it also helps to have a good stable of receivers like we do now. He’s learning to trust them to make those tight throws. He was so afraid of turning the ball over with MacElstain that he never learned to trust his receivers or his arm.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You blame who for that?

Who do you blame for South Alabama?

I think Mullen went with the young QB after that loss and he gave Prescott the starter's role after Russell got a concussion against Oklahoma State in the opener - a game they lost also.

Mullen just doesn't want true freshman starting. I would be hoping my play is decent if I was Franks now that Jones has picked things up.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
You had to have a tough psyche to play behind some of those lines. Some took the pummeling and others didn’t.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Driskel was a turnover machine. He hardly ever made the right read. He loved to throw underneath and he probably averaged like 4 yards per attempt. I don’t think Mullen could have done anything with him. I don’t think he had it upstairs.

Franks has it upstairs. He was just incredibly raw when he came in and had no idea how to read defenses. And then he got into this “woe is me” mentality that MacElstain infected the entire team with. In his last interview that I saw this spring practice he seemed to admit that he had maturity issues and that he’s had to learn how to lead. So there seems to be some growth.

Franks’ biggest issue is anticipation. And I think Mullen does a very good job of hiding this deficiency by giving him quick reads. But that often leads to busted plays.

I think it also helps to have a good stable of receivers like we do now. He’s learning to trust them to make those tight throws. He was so afraid of turning the ball over with MacElstain that he never learned to trust his receivers or his arm.
Franks will never start as many NFL games as Driskel has already. SMH.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mullen went with the young QB after that loss and he gave Prescott the starter's role after Russell got a concussion against Oklahoma State in the opener - a game they lost also.

Mullen just doesn't want true freshman starting. I would be hoping my play is decent if I was Franks now that Jones has picked things up.
it was 2017, and Prescott was long gone. Prescott was actually the only competent QB he had in 8 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.