Spurrier admits Machen wanted Creyer

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nice pissing contest @Swamp Donkey, nice work!!
I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm pretty proud of the results.

Zambo had kind of an off day but everybody else was doing work.

he's a professional though so we're going to have to assume that after a few days off he'll be back in the rotation and mowing them down.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Spurrier: Well, after the Washington thing folded up after two years, the Florida job was open, but the thing about it, we had a president who came from Utah, Mr. [Bernie] Machen, and obviously Urban was at Utah and they went 12-0. So, it was logical for him to come here. The president wanted him, so I can understand it. So, that's what happened.

One-on-One with Steve Spurrier

"GOAT" Fooley is down to one good hire.

Question and answer period is over.

Foley: “Coach Spurrier, we’ll need you to submit your resume.”

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Weve had two different kind of numbnuts opinions floating around, first is that it was the Mighty Fooley, GOAT of all GOATs, who made the hire and Mauchen had nothing to do with it.

The second was that SOS.didnt want to.come back bc racism or something utterly stupid that never nade the slightests sense (KC and a few others).
What I remember was the second one. That's what I heard over and over again, SOS didn't want to come back and that's why he wasn't hired. As I said then I will say now, Foley didn't really want him back and Machen wanted Meyer so that was the perfect storm to leave SOS out of the equation.

All is left now is for Steve to just go ahead and tell us that part of the reason he decided to go to the NFL was because Foley didn't have his back on the FSU player twisting Grahams knee in the pile.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I never really believed the story about Spurrier being told that UF wanted a copy of his resume, so he told them to go look in the trophy case. That's a little too cute.

I remember digging into it one time, for the vitally important purpose of arguing about it online of course :rolleyes:, and it turned out that although there were a number of articles repeating that story, there was only one single original source for it, and I recall it being questionable.

I believe what happened was, there were preliminary talks about Spurrier becoming a candidate for the job, and some dumb underling in the compliance department or wherever called Spurrier's agent to ask for some standard documentation that anyone has to provide when being considered for a university hire, on account of the Sunshine Laws and whatnot. Given that it was SOS, it shouldn't have been necessary, but the moron just asked for the stuff like he or she did from every other prospective hire, as a matter of course.

By the time this was told and retold, it got misconstrued into them asking for his resume, like as if there would've been anything on the resume of a high-profile football coach that wasn't public information. And the, "tell them to look in the trophy case" reply was made up by someone who figured it sounded like something SOS would've said.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hate Urban Meyer!

I hate him for the way he left UF, not what he did when he was here.
With that said, does anyone really think SOS would have done what Meyer did from 2005 - retirement?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I hate Urban Meyer!

With that said, does anyone really think SOS would have done what Meyer did from 2005 - retirement?

Tough to say, but likely not. Different landscape within the SEC but no fsu threat or ‘95 Nebraska type team to contend with. The better, and very realistic, question is would we still revere Tim in the same manner after he beat us a few times and won those titles for Alabama? Because Spurrier would’ve never pursued him the same way we did with his awkward and unpolished passing and it was already neck and neck down to signing day according to TT. He wasn’t a fit. So part did the reason I say no to your question is that we probably wouldn’t have had Tebow, and Saban would have for 3 years.

As I said initially, it was a near perfect marriage all around the way it worked out, even if it was almost predestined due to Machen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Much better than Cryer
Im not sure SOS would have recruited as well.

The SEC was probably the worst in modern history with Alabama being a 3 or 4 loss team under Shula, Fat Fill (and Blobby) fading into .500. Only LSU under Saban was in the way in 2005.

SOS would have wonnthe SEC probably immediately in 05 and Leak may habe been a Heisman. What Leak would look like under SOS i stead of a moron is one of the things I wish I had seen.

I am not sure what Tebow would have done as a TE in Alabama's pro style offense, but I know SOS wouldnt have had vaginitis and overdose the first time he lost an SECG.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like a good decision.

I wasn’t thinking that after 2005. As a matter of fact, I still wasn’t thinking it midway through the 2006 season. The offense was all disjointed with Mullen forcing the issue with the wrong quarterback. Fortunately, special teams and the defense landed us in Glendale where Leak & Co. had their breakout game. Harvin was unstoppable by the end of the season.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I hate Urban Meyer!

Definitely wouldn't have left us as a dumpster fire. Winning some nattys is a good argument though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The offense was all disjointed with Mullen forcing the issue with the wrong OFFENSE .
Fify.
bUt DaN MuLlEn aDaPTs tO hIs tALeNT

by runnig the option w Chris Leak and Kyle Trash.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely wouldn't have left us as a dumpster fire. Winning some nattys is a good argument though.
you wonder if Alabama would have gone all nuclear with Nick Saban and their incredible spendathon if they didn't have to try to keep up with the super talent machine Urban built. They werent going to let Creyer build another decade of dominance.

it took a bit for them to swallow their pride and hire a former LSU coach. and while they sunk $$$ into their program it was nothing like 2008 on. They basically gave Saban the biggest blank check in history to pull him Miami.

Im going to guess we created Saban by hiring Creyer.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
you wonder if Alabama would have gone all nuclear with Nick Saban and their incredible spendathon if they didn't have to try to keep up with the super talent machine Urban built. They werent going to let Creyer build another decade of dominance.

it took a bit for them to swallow their pride and hire a former LSU coach. and while they sunk $$$ into their program it was nothing like 2008 on. They basically gave Saban the biggest blank check in history to pull him Miami.

Im going to guess we created Saban by hiring Creyer.

I really dont think anything at Alabama would have changed and dont think we are the cause of their present. I do think things would be a lot different with UGA though. In my opinion they benefited the most from the vacuum of our downward spiral. Would Smart still be their coach right now if we'd been competitive during the last 10 years?

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Now that’s the first logical take I’ve heard all day.

Besides the obvious age difference in Meyer and Saban, maybe he forgot the post he made just 3 or 4 post before this gem. The one where he mentioned Saban winning a national championship at LSU. You know a couple years before UF even hired Meyer.

There's no possible way swamp donkey is just one person. I'm guessing it's public computer in a detox facility and the residents just post random shyt all day and night just to fuch with us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All that is left now is for Steve to just go ahead and tell us that part of the reason he decided to go to the NFL was because Foley didn't have his back on the FSU player twisting Grahams knee in the pile.

Well, since it was just a handful of days after Horesteeth Fooley did it, the timing was obvious.

there were obviously probably many factors, and not to overlook the fact that Spurrier said he wanted to go back to the pros and try to see if he could win there too.

But the timing regarding that Jackass Fooley was obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.