The definitive Jeremy Foley life story

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So we're back to a familiar topic, our esteemed athletic director emeritus, formerly the athletic director, prior to which time he was senior associate athletic director, interim athletic director and associate athletic director. Yada yada yada. Ya think they created enough pseudo titles for a guy who ran around with wearing a clear plastic pocket protector full of pencils with worn-out erasers?

Jeremy was born with a silver spoon in his mouth beginning with Holdnerdness School, a haughty taughty college prep school near Plymouth, NH, easily 800-1,000 miles away from the nearest decent college football campus. Here's a pic. You sort of expect to see people wearing grey stretch pants riding around on jumping horses. I definitely don't see any defensive tackles in this pic, do you?

1920px-HoldernessSchool3.JPG

From there Jeremy moved on to yet another private institution, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, which according to the Princeton Review is noted for having the "most popular study abroad program" in higher education as well as being ranked 18th by some nothing publication for having the happiest students and the best student-rated professors. You kind of get the picture of how Jeremy was indoctrinated to marginality early on. BTW, this place isn't exactly the University of Miami either. Look at those grassy checkered areas that look like the 17th at Augusta. How much of the tuition did that shyt eat?

1200px-Hobart_and_William_Smith_Colleges_campus_and_Seneca_Lake.jpg

Jeremy completed his masters in sports management at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, which probably tells you all you need to know about the four-hour meeting in Austin with Muschamp. Foley already had a soft spot in his heart for college campuses in Athens.

This is a pic of Jeremy when he had a lot of hair.

Here is a pic of Jeremy after he had hired Will Muschamp and Jim McElwain in succession. I'm not sure what caused that receding hairline, but clearly something had gone by the wayside.

jeremy-foley-speaking-650x300.jpg

Jeremy made a name for himself under Bill Carr in the early 1980s as the ticket manager. As it turns out, he was pretty good at selling tickets to UF football games at a time when everyone wanted a ticket to a UF football game. So he got promoted to associate athletic director for business affairs because he could sell tickets. When Carr left in '86, Foley became interim AD. Well, guess what? UF hired Bill Arnsparger for the permanent post after Foley failed a basic football IQ test by one question: True or false, the team with the most points wins the game. That answer haunted him for years.

Well, you obviously know about the Billy Donovan thing, which happened after he rolled dice on his metal desk, and then the Ron Zook thing, which happened after the UF jet ran low on fuel on its way back to Florida from Denver. Foley demanded the pilot land the plane in New Orleans.

There's one other thing you need to know about Jeremy Foley. He played football and lacrosse, though not necessarily in that order, which is why it was always impossible for him to have been the one who hired Spurrier. Spurrier would never have played for an AD who ran around with a stick with in his hand.

This bio wouldn't be complete without a list of the distinguished awards won by Jeremy over the years. I'm copying and pasting from Wiki here.

In 1995, Foley was the recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Sports Administration and Facility Management Department at Ohio University.

The UF Alumni Association Board of Directors named Foley an Honorary Alumnus in October 2000.

From 1997–2002, Foley served on the NCAA Division I Management Council, the most powerful group (below the Board of Directors) within the NCAA.

In June 2006, Street and Smith named Foley as its SportsBusiness Journal National Athletics Director of the Year.

The National Football Foundation awarded Foley the John L. Toner Award in 2007, recognizing him as its national athletic director of the year.

Foley's alma mater, the Holdnerdness School a small private, college preparatory school presented him with its 2007 Distinguished Alumni Award on November 28, 2007.

On April 25, 2008, the Hobart College Alumni Association presented Foley with its Medal of Excellence, its highest honor, for outstanding achievements as the University of Florida athletic director, which has brought honor and distinction to his alma mater.

In 2009 the United States Sports Academy awarded Foley its Carl Maddox Sport Management Award in recognition of his contributions to the growth and development of sport enterprise through effective management practices.
[/I]

So now that I've made you suffer through this five-page OP, what do you think about Jeremy Foley?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Yes but he did a great job in making UF compliant with title nine and keeping us out of trouble. Both massive accomplishments in my view. And then kept us in compliance with the new rules about academics, and keeping us solvent in an era when some idiots think that Dem financial leadership is the way to go.

Now of course he did not make good decisions about football coaches, but it is not like he could hire whoever he might want, or could see into the future either.

All in all he was at least a B+ grade in my view.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You left out the part of him treating Law like the gimp in Pulp Fiction.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps you mean Vince??

Either way who gives a shyt? As for my thoughts, my almost 20 year old screen name says it all!!!!!!
Why were you wanting to fire Foley in 1999?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
He looks like the Zooker's older brother in one photo. I always thought that football quizz was a bad joke. Arnsparger was our best AD, SOS and Stormin' Norman.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I said almost 20 year!. came up with name on G'ville slime board 5 minutes after I found out that dumbA$$ was hiring ZoooooooooKKKKK
Stoops
Shanahan
Zook

It was stunning the fall. Probably felt that way after the Mac firing.

Kelly
Frost
Mullen

How good it feels to know history hasn't repeated.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Very very few people could have followed SOS. Did you notice how many strike outs Bama had after the bear or UCLA had after Wooden. Zook was the transition hire and recruited damned well no matter what any fckn genius here says otherwise. The Urban hire was a home run out of the park. He won, won big and did what we expected out of a hired gun. If not for his health/mental/character problems and he stays like Billy did for an extended period we are probably blding a shrine to him right now, He was an outstanding head coach and organizer. He was just wound way too tight.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Very very few people could have followed SOS. Did you notice how many strike outs Bama had after the bear or UCLA had after Wooden. Zook was the transition hire and recruited damned well no matter what any fckn genius here says otherwise. The Urban hire was a home run out of the park. He won, won big and did what we expected out of a hired gun. If not for his health/mental/character problems and he stays like Billy did for an extended period we are probably blding a shrine to him right now, He was an outstanding head coach and organizer. He was just wound way too tight.
He got a mulligan from me after Zook. I even gave him some leash after Muschamp. Mac was a total disaster.

I will go to my grave believing Bernie provided the impetus behind the Meyer hire.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He got a mulligan from me after Zook. I even gave him some leash after Muschamp. Mac was a total disaster.
agreed but I think He had more power than Bernie but it was the right hire no matter how you viewed it.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016

I will go to my grave believing Bernie provided the impetus behind the Meyer hire.
I am in total agreement about the Meyer hire.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
agreed but I think He had more power than Bernie but it was the right hire no matter how you viewed it.
That answer reaches into technicalities. Who thunk Meyer first? Who pushed hardest? Who had the ultimate authority over the hire and who had administrative responsibility?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I offer no mulligan for Zook. I had to take a day off to recover from nausea after the announcement that he was hired. I had to take two days off after I watched Zook manage to nearly throw away a significant lead in the swamp with one dumb ass decision after another.I screamed bloody murder for the entire last quarter of that game, but he wasn't listening. I had to get counseling after listening to the man's pressers where he spewed out more meaningless words per second than in the history of mankind ("get it corrected"). The only thing that Mac did was dull the pain of his memory. The train wreck that was Mac has made the train wreck that was Zook seem mild

And who's decision was it to hire Meyer? Foley's? I think not.

So as far as major coach hires go, He's one lucky hire out of five. And after he lucked into Billy, damned if he didn't try to retread his one lucky hire method every damned time; And damned if he didn't fail every single time.

Build a small statue to Foley and put it in a basement somewhere. Have our Current AD's visit occasionally, so they can be reminded what not to do.

OK I feel better now.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Still can't believe this man met with Butters for hours and came away thinking he's the guy. That shows his stupidity right there.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I offer no mulligan for Zook. I had to take a day off to recover from nausea after the announcement that he was hired. I had to take two days off after I watched Zook manage to nearly throw away a significant lead in the swamp with one dumb ass decision after another.I screamed bloody murder for the entire last quarter of that game, but he wasn't listening. I had to get counseling after listening to the man's pressers where he spewed out more meaningless words per second than in the history of mankind ("get it corrected"). The only thing that Mac did was dull the pain of his memory. The train wreck that was Mac has made the train wreck that was Zook seem mild

And who's decision was it to hire Meyer? Foley's? I think not.

So as far as major coach hires go, He's one lucky hire out of five. And after he lucked into Billy, damned if he didn't try to retread his one lucky hire method every damned time; And damned if he didn't fail every single time.

Build a small statue to Foley and put it in a basement somewhere. Have our Current AD's visit occasionally, so they can be reminded what not to do.

OK I feel better now.
HOF Post. Absolutely nailed it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.