The Emory Jones Thread

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dude, we are top 10 or near it in GPA and it's just the first signing period. It's also the best transition class we've ever had, but Jimbo leaving certainly helped.

Chillax. Believe me, if there is something to beyotch about, I'll lead the way.

And if we could factor Jefferson into the mix, our class would look even better. He was a 95+ guy and has been reasonably productive. He’s an able replacement for Callaway and will complement Cleveland.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Golf claps to all for the videos on EJ. Thanks...
What a morning of us or clowns. Phone blowing up, lifetime Gators ready to grab a short rope and the nearest oak tree.

Had my boys all ready for a liquid lunch meltdown, we decided to turn it into a party. EJ looks the part. I like the Vick comparisons for throwing motions, & as others have said game looks slow to him, zero panic. Man wouldn’t that be a sight for us? No one back there with DropEye!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I couple of those flip of the wrist passes were 45 yards or more.

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad we got Jones and props to Mullen for going after and flipping him. It looks like he's very talented with a really good arm. If he can also be a strong runner between the tackles, then he should do well under Mullen. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of our embarrassing QB play of the last 8 years.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
:waiting: He's smooth and fluid which makes it look slow and effortless. Don't worry, this kid is the real deal.
I also thought the clips I had seen were less impressive than I was expecting. Not that it wasn't good, but I expected more.

Then, I found this more comprehensive video of his junior year and see where the original 5* rating came from:

It says he missed 5 games. Anyone know the injury history?

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I also thought the clips I had seen were less impressive than I was expecting. Not that it wasn't good, but I expected more.

Then, I found this more comprehensive video of his junior year and see where the original 5* rating came from:

It says he missed 5 games. Anyone know the injury history?
. He had a separated shoulder at one point. I don't think I read anything else serious.
I am really excited about this QB. I hope he starts game 1 next year.

ccsdk

True Gator
Nov 12, 2017
Nice throws down field, however no smart out of bounds throws or 3rd option swing passes. I hope he's smart and experienced to know when to fold them. The Georgia defence will test his patience.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I figure Jones needs to have his own thread. This is the first major offensive skill player in YEARS to spurn other huge programs for Florida. He may need a statue erected just for that.

Discuss.

spinal_tap_stonehenge_descend.jpg

veroG8tr

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2014
I do have to hand it to DM. He went all out to find a QB knowing that it was the most critical thing he needed to do to run his offense. He wasn’t so arrogant to think that he could make anyone fit (even Clarabell). I know we were all concerned about losing Corral, but Dan had a plan. A very bold and risky plan which seems to have paid off. Balls... ladies and gentlemen... balls. We haven’t had those around here in a while. Now....let’s see how he finishes out with this class getting the pieces around him.

This is a very positive step in the right direction.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
As a QB he reminds me a little of Jameis Winston being tall with a strong arm, quick release and pretty accurate. Good get, Dan now lets start rebuilding a defense that plays like Gators.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Nice throws down field, however no smart out of bounds throws or 3rd option swing passes. I hope he's smart and experienced to know when to fold them. The Georgia defence will test his patience.

I mean these have all been highlight videos so although throwing the ball out of bounds when in trouble may be a highlight in the course of a game, it doesn't usually make it into a highlight video.

I like how quick and compact his throwing motion is, he's also able to quickly contort his body into a throwing motion when rolling left and get the ball out of there with velocity and accuracy. He doesn't look very fast until you see him galloping away from guys, he has those long strides that look slower but cover so much ground.

He looks like a damn good prospect and I feel like we finally have a coach that can develop and utilize that talent.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It can be very difficult to translate a high school quarterback to college, esp when it's the SEC and the kind of defenses you're gonna face. How much time he's given by the offensive line and how disciplined his receivers are in running their routes makes such a huge difference.

You'll note Jones is running and off balance on a lot of his throws. He has great confidence in his arm strength, almost too much. It's great to have a quarterback who can do that, but it also creates a greater margin of error. There's a reason why coaches want your feet set and your body moving forward when you throw the ball.

Unless he's a real baller, you'd have to think he's setting himself up for a fair number of picks. I'm sure that's one of the first things the coaching staff will work with him on, to differentiate better between commitment to the run or pass.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It's obviously good to have a quarterback who's that athletic, who is dangerous either way on the run. That's the essence of a dual-threat quarterback, to constantly keep the defense off balance. Just the same, you want to be able to teach him good decisionmaking skills, otherwise you're risking a lot of turnovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.