The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Utah

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Could you do this any earlier? I always enjoy "coffee with Cover" on the mornings after the game and, well, I've already had my coffee and I think we can all see what time you posted this. :facepalm:
That is a good one! I still can not get away from "Breakfast with the Gators" but "Coffee with Cover" is the best one this forum has come up with. I am wondering when the websites will start appearing like www.Firesunbeltbilly.com

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
My major overarching concern is that if you combine the bowl game, the spring game and the opener, we’ve been in the end zone three times collectively. In three games. And one was an intrasquad scrimmage. In fact, if you add up all of the points from the opener, the orange and blue game, and lumped them all into the bowl game, we still would have lost to Oregon state by double digits. There’s so much to like about Billy but I’m concerned about his offensive philosophy.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
That is a good one! I still can not get away from "Breakfast with the Gators" but "Coffee with Cover" is the best one this forum has come up with. I am wondering when the websites will start appearing like www.Firesunbeltbilly.com
Thanks. But that isn't a gift, it's a curse. I always come up with sayings that other people take credit for.
I have but one life to live.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Here's how you turn this around.

1.) Napier names himself Full time Special Teams Co.
2.) New OC calls the plays.
GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
There’s so much to like about Billy but I’m concerned about his offensive philosophy.
You don’t think the philosophy of “call a random play, execute it poorly, and whatever happens is okay” is a good philosophy? Maybe this warrants further discussion.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Donkey chimes in:

Where do we go from here? Well, we've been down the most likely path several times during the Lost Decades. If he gets fired, and I'm still of the opinion that no matter what he won't be fired until Halloween 2024, it would be absolutely futile to do it and allow the Incompetent Twins serving as AD and coAD to make the next hire.

The need to absolutely clean house in the Athletic Department and replace a good bit of them with people who understand one and only profitable product, football. Absolutely clean house. All of them. No trace of Foley Minions in that place. Just changing coaches hasn't changed the stench at all for good reason.

How can we avoid that? obviously it is first making a wholesale change on offense as soon as we can. I'm not really sure what that looks like because I think we don't have much of a bench on the offensive coaching side. (We don't really have much of a bench on the defensive side either.) The beginning should be Sale getting fired by the end of October. He isn't really the playcaller or the problem but he isn't getting it done in either role. No reason to continue playing him. There is no obvious playcaller on staff, and that is a huge lack of staff building, remember Saban always had one or two spare OCs sitting on the sideline. We need at least one spare available at all times. However, I didn't think much of Brian Johnson, then he was obviously the best play caller we had since the early 2000s. Maybe there is someone we aren't aware of.

Speaking of the playcalling, I don't even know what to think of it. Da Yutes did absolutely load up the middle to stop the run. OK, everyone since Kentucky has. In the past, what coach Slingblade did was toss the ball deep on very low percentage plays, so why the switch to sideways passing? I have no clue. Im looking at Billy Gonzalez with a suspicious side-eye. This seems a lot like a hybrid Mullen-ball minus the option ball and QB keepers. It makes me ask why. Did we fear the pass rush that much knowing our OTs are garbage (which was proven true) or does Mertz just not have the arm? Or did BG somehow sell himself as a guru. I think he actually did serve as a legit pass game coordinator for LSU for six months after Urban fired him.

Speaking of Mertz, he didn't lose the game though his int lead to 7 for the bad guys. Some commented on him bearing some responsibility for a sack or two, and ball placement on the INT. It is Graham Mertz, Im not sure who was expecting perfection.

There's going to be some pain between now and November. Brian Kelly at LSU last year started like six or seven freshman on both sides of the line. They got their asses kicked early in the season and then turned it around. IMO the best case scenario is we turn to our more talented kids, experience be damned, take our lumps, and maybe turn it around a little bit in November enough to hold the recruiting class together, plug the holes of any recruits that we lose. Next, somehow hit a home run hires at OC and OL coaches. That is so hard to do any time and even harder with a coach on a nuclear seat.

Ohhhh... and a special teams coach.

Surely we hit bottom with this coach and have nowhere to go but up. Right? This coach HAS to be the bottom. It has to be.

Go Gators

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s interesting to note that of our previous five failed head coaches(I’m including Napier for the time being), Zook was probably the least qualified to be the head coach of Florida. Others had at least been HC’s elsewhere or were in line to become one. Ron was a STs coordinator who woke up one day to a phone call, and was instantly not only a head coach, but the head coach of a powerhouse program. Yet if we look back, he probably delivered more high moments than just about any of the others and also never bottomed out. Let’s remember, he entered 2004 on a hot seat because back to back 8 win seasons weren’t going to cut it at a place like UF. Even his worst year he won 7. You could maybe argue that perhaps we weren’t heading demonstrably higher, but we also weren’t staring at 4-6 wins if he’d stayed. The question is why? How did the seemingly least equipped guy deliver at least modest success and not completely implode, while each of Muschamp, McElwain, Mullen and now Napier either have or appear to be headed that direct. To me at least, the answer lies in the very fact that he was so unqualified, and was therefore humble enough to just do the basics right. He brought in OCs that were known(even if I wasn’t an EZ fan), he grabbed Strong and brought him back, retained longtime WRs coach Dwayne Dixon, and immediately made his priority keeping Rex and/or Berlin. In short, he didn’t have any areas where he bucked the system and arrogantly felt his plan was better. Even in failure, it at least looked normal.

Compare that with the others. WM comes in and immediately wants to upend the UF culture, make us something we’re not and try to win every game by scoring 14-21 points and having no margin for error. McElwain convinced himself he doesn’t need talent because he’s just going to coach up 2-3*’s and win with no conditioning. Mullen wastes no time bringing in wildly unpopular assistants, refuses to hold them accountable and has similar views to JM about the need for recruiting. Now Napier enters the picture and has his own “I know better” approach with the OC/QB roles, the double OL coach thing and having STs handled by committee. Some of those quirks were visible even in his first class as he took more of a scorched earth approach than was probably necessary.

It’s infuriating that we’ve had to stand by and watch as UF football is used as an experiment of theory, being drug through hell in the process, all on our dime. It’s simply not that hard to just do normal things in a logical way and let the chips fall where they may. As much as I get coaches wanting to have their own stamp that distinguishes their approach from others, it doesn’t mean being a total outlier on the basics. Guys like Saban, Smart, Day, Riley don’t do outlandish things to separate themselves. They do the same thing as everyone else—they just do them better. That’s what we need. I don’t care who it is. I’m just sick of the same stale “I know best” routine while we have to watch a dumpster fire unfold in front of our eyes. If Napier gets it and truly is a winner he makes wholesale changes to almost everything tomorrow. If not, there will be a 4th name added to the “previous coaches hate” thread very soon.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surely we hit bottom with this coach and have nowhere to go but up. Right? This coach HAS to be the bottom. It has to be.

Donk.
So positive. So sober. Donk knows you have to hit rock bottom first. Perhaps a dead cat bounce will propel us towards new hope near the end of the season. God save the queen.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
It’s infuriating that we’ve had to stand by and watch as UF football is used as an experiment of theory, being drug through hell in the process, all on our dime. It’s simply not that hard to just do normal things in a logical way and let the chips fall where they may.
Ogre at LSU comes to mind. He was no genius. He was just a dude who knew how get out of his own way and let the chips fall where they may. Landed a ship by just hiring the right guys and spending his time recruiting and motivating. Hat tip to the Ogre.

1693606286989.jpeg

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m at the point of not caring anymore. Turned it off and went to bed after the false start on 4th and 1 followed by the penalty for two players wearing 3. It’s just not any fun watching Gator football these days.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m at the point of not caring anymore. Turned it off and went to bed after the false start on 4th and 1 followed by the penalty for two players wearing 3. It’s just not any fun watching Gator football these days.
I turned it off after the 70 yard scoring pass on their 1st play. If that wasn't an omen of impending destruction, nothing is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.