The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Utah

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I turned it off after the 70 yard scoring pass on their 1st play. If that wasn't an omen of impending destruction, nothing is.
The only reason I don't turn games off after starts like that is the 2006 NC game when Ted Ginn returned the opening kickoff for a TD. However, we don't have a team like that anymore so maybe I will start turning it off too.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I don't understand what all the angst surrounding special teams is about. Coach Napier referred to them as "The Gamechangers" upon his arrival in Gainesville and they certainly were that against Utah! :dunno:

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
..................................ing
.................ack...................est................itch.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
It’s interesting to note that of our previous five failed head coaches(I’m including Napier for the time being), Zook was probably the least qualified to be the head coach of Florida. Others had at least been HC’s elsewhere or were in line to become one. Ron was a STs coordinator who woke up one day to a phone call, and was instantly not only a head coach, but the head coach of a powerhouse program. Yet if we look back, he probably delivered more high moments than just about any of the others and also never bottomed out. Let’s remember, he entered 2004 on a hot seat because back to back 8 win seasons weren’t going to cut it at a place like UF. Even his worst year he won 7. You could maybe argue that perhaps we weren’t heading demonstrably higher, but we also weren’t staring at 4-6 wins if he’d stayed. The question is why? How did the seemingly least equipped guy deliver at least modest success and not completely implode, while each of Muschamp, McElwain, Mullen and now Napier either have or appear to be headed that direct. To me at least, the answer lies in the very fact that he was so unqualified, and was therefore humble enough to just do the basics right. He brought in OCs that were known(even if I wasn’t an EZ fan), he grabbed Strong and brought him back, retained longtime WRs coach Dwayne Dixon, and immediately made his priority keeping Rex and/or Berlin. In short, he didn’t have any areas where he bucked the system and arrogantly felt his plan was better. Even in failure, it at least looked normal.

Compare that with the others. WM comes in and immediately wants to upend the UF culture, make us something we’re not and try to win every game by scoring 14-21 points and having no margin for error. McElwain convinced himself he doesn’t need talent because he’s just going to coach up 2-3*’s and win with no conditioning. Mullen wastes no time bringing in wildly unpopular assistants, refuses to hold them accountable and has similar views to JM about the need for recruiting. Now Napier enters the picture and has his own “I know better” approach with the OC/QB roles, the double OL coach thing and having STs handled by committee. Some of those quirks were visible even in his first class as he took more of a scorched earth approach than was probably necessary.

It’s infuriating that we’ve had to stand by and watch as UF football is used as an experiment of theory, being drug through hell in the process, all on our dime. It’s simply not that hard to just do normal things in a logical way and let the chips fall where they may. As much as I get coaches wanting to have their own stamp that distinguishes their approach from others, it doesn’t mean being a total outlier on the basics. Guys like Saban, Smart, Day, Riley don’t do outlandish things to separate themselves. They do the same thing as everyone else—they just do them better. That’s what we need. I don’t care who it is. I’m just sick of the same stale “I know best” routine while we have to watch a dumpster fire unfold in front of our eyes. If Napier gets it and truly is a winner he makes wholesale changes to almost everything tomorrow. If not, there will be a 4th name added to the “previous coaches hate” thread very soon.

Zook won those 8 games his first season, and I wanted him gone. LOL. I was spoiled with Spurrier, never seeing him win less than 9 on a 11 game schedule too. Can't remember if Zook was playing 11 or 12 games when he was coach. I'd kill for an 8 win season now. LOL

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I’m at the point of not caring anymore. Turned it off and went to bed after the false start on 4th and 1 followed by the penalty for two players wearing 3. It’s just not any fun watching Gator football these days.
I turned it off after the 70 yard scoring pass on their 1st play. If that wasn't an omen of impending destruction, nothing is.

Oh ya, well I turned it off after the first 3rd down we didn’t convert

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zook won those 8 games his first season, and I wanted him gone. LOL. I was spoiled with Spurrier, never seeing him win less than 9 on a 11 game schedule too. Can't remember if Zook was playing 11 or 12 games when he was coach. I'd kill for an 8 win season now. LOL

The first two years were 12’s, but also featured the SEC winner in ‘02 and ‘03, plus the defending champ canes in 2002 and a road game in their toilet to start 2003. To be clear, I’m not defending or romanticizing about his tenure here. Just pointing out that at least he had the brains to just follow the effing course of normalcy and not try and reinvent the wheel.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Oh ya, well I turned it off after the first 3rd down we didn’t convert
As I've mentioned in another thread, Valdosta is still without pwr.
Our pwr was restored mere hours before the game and I was so happy to have it back.
However, at exactly 2 minutes before the game started, our pwr went out again. I had no idea if this was going to be a blip or another long-time interruption. Sadly, the pwr came back on within a few minutes and we missed none of the debacle.
:grin:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Joe Brady, one of the most important pieces of LSUs natty in 2019, is the Bill's qb coach now after leaving the Panthers. Lets scoop him up and make him OC.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Joe Brady, one of the most important pieces of LSUs natty in 2019, is the Bill's qb coach now after leaving the Panthers. Lets scoop him up and make him OC.

No one is staying as an OC. You have to have a philosophy of your own that doesn’t involve coloring books and juice boxes.

Just out of curiosity, though, since you brought it up. If we rolled the dice with an OC who’s never been a HC before, how much worse could a game like last night look?

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
The only reason I don't turn games off after starts like that is the 2006 NC game when Ted Ginn returned the opening kickoff for a TD. However, we don't have a team like that anymore so maybe I will start turning it off too.

bad-news-bears-little-league.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
As I've mentioned in another thread, Valdosta is still without pwr.
Our pwr was restored mere hours before the game and I was so happy to have it back.
However, at exactly 2 minutes before the game started, our pwr went out again. I had no idea if this was going to be a blip or another long-time interruption. Sadly, the pwr came back on within a few minutes and we missed none of the debacle.
:grin:
So which is worse? Having the power come back on and watching that POS performance or actually living in Valdosta?:thug:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No one is staying as an OC. You have to have a philosophy of your own that doesn’t involve coloring books and juice boxes.

Just out of curiosity, though, since you brought it up. If we rolled the dice with an OC who’s never been a HC before, how much worse could a game like last night look?
Here's the thing. Let's say they let Napier keep his job despite going 3-9 . No decent OC is gonna leave a decent job to try to save a sinking ship. See Kurt roper.

And to your question, even though it wasn't directed at me but should have been but I'll let that slide. I know muschamp failed but elite coordinators from power 5 programs translate better than group 5 head coaches.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll focus on the positive.

Defense actually tackled better for the most part.

Mertz wasn’t a steaming pile of doggie doo, but has work to do.

Burke and Douglas had flashes.

Trey Wilson is going to be legit.

The guys didn’t give up.

Thought our blocking TE’s caught well.

If not for some undisciplined mistakes, we are probably running out the clock for the win in the last drive.

I don’t think we have quality out of the portal except Jackson. We might as well just play our younger talented guys and hope to stay top 5 in recruiting.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ll focus on the positive.

Defense actually tackled better for the most part.

Mertz wasn’t a steaming pile of doggie doo, but has work to do.

Burke and Douglas had flashes.

Trey Wilson is going to be legit.

The guys didn’t give up.

Thought our blocking TE’s caught well.

If not for some undisciplined mistakes, we are probably running out the clock for the win in the last drive.

I don’t think we have quality out of the portal except Jackson. We might as well just play our younger talented guys and hope to stay top 5 in recruiting.

I said this to some friends earlier. This was never going to be a championship season, but I get not starting all Fr in that atmosphere week 1. From here? All Fr and Sophs. Zero reason to not try to give yourself a chance in ‘24. Of course all that is based on logic so I full expect to see walkons and future non contributors against McNeese State.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I said this to some friends earlier. This was never going to be a championship season, but I get not starting all Fr in that atmosphere week 1. From here? All Fr and Sops. Zero reason to not try to give yourself a chance in ‘24. Of course all that is based on logic so I full expect to see walkons and future non contributors against McNeese State.
Moten was garbage in the first play. Never should’ve happened with his game experience. Start Castell.

Mitchell is third string talent. Put him there. Let Robinson take some snaps.

Do we really think Harris and Kearney couldn’t do better on the line?

Did anyone else see Princely not get a sack on a true freshman. Say bye bye to 1st thru 3rd round

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Moten was garbage in the first play. Never should’ve happened with his game experience. Start Castell.

Mitchell is third string talent. Put him there. Let Robinson take some snaps.

Do we really think Harris and Kearney couldn’t do better on the line?

Did anyone else see Princely not get a sack on a true freshman. Say bye bye to 1st thru 3rd round

Moten was always garbage. We went to the Dollar General of the portal and found an absolute nothing. In addition to not being very good, we actually have bodies at that position, including 2 in last year’s class and 3 more in this year’s. Very Zook/Mullen like in that we’re taking players at positions we don’t really need.

Agree on Mitchell.

There are heavy set female contestants on the Price Is Right that couldn’t be worse on the OL. Start FR there as well.

Didn’t see the Princeley play and still hold out hope on him, but FR should be all over the DL also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.