The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Utah

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It’s interesting to note that of our previous five failed head coaches(I’m including Napier for the time being), Zook was probably the least qualified to be the head coach of Florida. Others had at least been HC’s elsewhere or were in line to become one. Ron was a STs coordinator who woke up one day to a phone call, and was instantly not only a head coach, but the head coach of a powerhouse program. Yet if we look back, he probably delivered more high moments than just about any of the others and also never bottomed out. Let’s remember, he entered 2004 on a hot seat because back to back 8 win seasons weren’t going to cut it at a place like UF. Even his worst year he won 7. You could maybe argue that perhaps we weren’t heading demonstrably higher, but we also weren’t staring at 4-6 wins if he’d stayed. The question is why? How did the seemingly least equipped guy deliver at least modest success and not completely implode, while each of Muschamp, McElwain, Mullen and now Napier either have or appear to be headed that direct. To me at least, the answer lies in the very fact that he was so unqualified, and was therefore humble enough to just do the basics right. He brought in OCs that were known(even if I wasn’t an EZ fan), he grabbed Strong and brought him back, retained longtime WRs coach Dwayne Dixon, and immediately made his priority keeping Rex and/or Berlin. In short, he didn’t have any areas where he bucked the system and arrogantly felt his plan was better. Even in failure, it at least looked normal.

Compare that with the others. WM comes in and immediately wants to upend the UF culture, make us something we’re not and try to win every game by scoring 14-21 points and having no margin for error. McElwain convinced himself he doesn’t need talent because he’s just going to coach up 2-3*’s and win with no conditioning. Mullen wastes no time bringing in wildly unpopular assistants, refuses to hold them accountable and has similar views to JM about the need for recruiting. Now Napier enters the picture and has his own “I know better” approach with the OC/QB roles, the double OL coach thing and having STs handled by committee. Some of those quirks were visible even in his first class as he took more of a scorched earth approach than was probably necessary.

It’s infuriating that we’ve had to stand by and watch as UF football is used as an experiment of theory, being drug through hell in the process, all on our dime. It’s simply not that hard to just do normal things in a logical way and let the chips fall where they may. As much as I get coaches wanting to have their own stamp that distinguishes their approach from others, it doesn’t mean being a total outlier on the basics. Guys like Saban, Smart, Day, Riley don’t do outlandish things to separate themselves. They do the same thing as everyone else—they just do them better. That’s what we need. I don’t care who it is. I’m just sick of the same stale “I know best” routine while we have to watch a dumpster fire unfold in front of our eyes. If Napier gets it and truly is a winner he makes wholesale changes to almost everything tomorrow. If not, there will be a 4th name added to the “previous coaches hate” thread very soon.
Brilliant post, I agree 100%

Sep 1, 2023
Newbie here, but was hoping for at least a little optimism. Billy and the players are really trying. Let's get behind them. I just watch the 2 Miami's play and thr so fla one showed how you can be crappy one year and turn it around. Go gatoes!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Newbie here, but was hoping for at least a little optimism. Billy and the players are really trying. Let's get behind them. I just watch the 2 Miami's play and thr so fla one showed how you can be crappy one year and turn it around. Go gatoes!
Go gatoes!!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
This is not the place to be after a loss.

Come back next week. It will be better.

After that ... maybe next years O&B game.

:lol:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Brilliant post, I agree 100%
Brilliant?

Chris Janson Reaction GIF by Music Choice

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good to hear from you @cover2 after the game, back to normal somewhat even after Thursday night's game.

We knew we were potentially looking a possibly a worse season than last year. We are closer to that assertion than anything else. But optimism seemed to be more where we "hoped" to be. I do think that we had some flashes of what I had hoped for. Better tackling, getting off the field on 3rd down, and a few flashes. But this Staff and Team cannot live with the Bafoonic decisions or lack thereof. The margin of error is just too small. Sure we can do things better but you MUST eliminate to stupid stuff.

I'm at the point to where be damned the consequences, play the youngsters, take our lumps, and let the chips fall where they may. Probably one of the smartest things Brian Kelly did. And I hate having to say that as much as I dislike the dude. UF has a lot to fix and honestly from my POV it starts with the staff. Stop making stupid mistakes and put these guys in position to improve. We'll see from game to game if there is improvement in these areas. But really at this point it feels if there is more unknown where we will be than what we do know.

I'm not ready to pull the plug on them yet, but let's just say I had the same look on my face as the Spurrier has the other night.

1693655844834.gif

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
I was upset as most, but I did see alot of positives as mentioned by some. This is why Game1 used to be cupcakes. I’ll start panicking if we are not 2-2 by game 4. I was actually pleasantly surprised with QB play, defense played well overall, UTAH will be in playoffs and that was a tough environment. To me this whole season is about holding onto ‘24 class.

Yes alot of mistakes, coaching, blah blah.
We have another game in 6 days, and I’ll be routing for the GATORS next saturday as well

Go Gators

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.