Thoughts on Mullen hire

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
you mean without the 3 OL out, also?
Two OL and Id like to see Delance off the field permanently and Braun starting at guard.

Plus the offense stalled completely before.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
How would you describe our offense w Pitts off the field last game?

Well, we scored a TD that series with the backup TE (Gamble) after Pitts went down; then another TD right before half (4 plays, 48 yds) to Grimes; and on the first possession of the 2nd half, took 3 minutes off the clock and scored a FG to go up by 20 points. Our next 2 drives were a punt (5 plays, 2+ minutes off the clock) and a missed FG (9 plays, 49 yards and 4:45 minutes off the clock).

Seems to me, the offense could move the ball when we wanted to. Given that UGAy couldn't and our defense was stopping them repeatedly (they were 2 for 13 on 3rd down), why sling the ball around when you have a comfortable lead?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
If you step back and look at the aggregate of the program since Mullen's hire it is an upward trending line. Some setbacks and downward ticks but on the whole it is going up.

But if you look into the actual numbers there are things that can't be ignored which will eventually flatten the line out. Mullen has been able to kick the can down the road through the portal but I am not sure that can will get kicked too many more times until we take a downward trending line for a few seasons.

I don't want to go through another coaching fire/hire because I think stability is a program characteristic that can be ignored (especially around here) over the 'tear it down and try again because this will never work' way of thinking. Sometimes, the only way to get to where you want to go is rip the bandaid off and go back to stop the bleeding step. Personally, I am not there yet. I see enough in Mullen that still warrants some hope. Its made fun of but I do think he gets more out of his players than most. I believe and think this is obvious. I believe he does this through a good eye on talent as well as a good plan to coach them up. I'm talking offense here.

Defense, I am just not seeing it. The trend is downward here even though the aggregate for the team is upward. We aren't getting the most out of our players. I don't know enough to state why but it sure does seem like a coaching AND recruiting thing. So many blown assignments and so many lack of skilled players at certain positions. I don't even think you can blame scheme until you account for the other two first: blown assignments and lack of talent at certain positions.

So, in my opinion, while I don't want to tear it all down I do feel like we are ever so close to the point where the defense needs to be torn down and redone. Its not working.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Man this is a tough crowd. Just for context I went over to the non-paid Warchant site and the discussion about their train wreck. They are more positive than this group. I've decided that if I'm offered a head coaching job anywhere, and if there have been two legendary national championship coaches preceding me in the last few decades, I'm raising my asking price two million, .

Anther stoned badge of honor from donkey. :proud:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
why sling the ball around when you have a comfortable lead?
To slit their throats and finish it.

If they are still trying to score, we should too.

I agree that Dan going Mullen (conservative) was a big part of us not scoring in second half though but the rest of the receivers dont scare defenses.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Feels like I've said this a dozen time, but I'll say again that Mullen wasn't my first pick, or second or third even. I always viewed him as someone that wasn't coming here, so I didn't give him much attention. And there are certain things I don't agree with such as the DC. I also wish he'd speak less at times. As witnessed on Saturday, I've divorced the guy about 10 times, though generally there's alcohol involved. But I will also repeat my opinion that he was absolutely the right guy for UF at that time. I look at some of these performances and realize how close we were to getting several guys who still haven't shown they can win at this level, and certainly haven't given the impression that they'd know how to win in the SEC. Games like Lsu in 2018 were so critical to keeping the wheels from falling off, and I still don't think any of the names floated back in late 2017 have shown they would've won a contest like that. Forget Kelly, look at a guy like Norvell who is not only getting crushed by good teams, but is also being boat raced by mid-level ACC programs. That says so much about whether or not he's currently cut out for this level. Doesn't mean he can't or won't get there. But we didn't have the luxury of time to get back to respectability and/or get it wrong again.

His recruiting is not lights out, but is trending the right direction. Don't like all of the decisions with regards to size and style of defense, but do see some signs that we're adjusting that as well with Dexter and the new DT's coning in.

As for Trask, there are examples all over the place of kids who look average in practice and lights out when the lights come on. Practice reports over the years were always some good, some bad with regards KT. Also, in many respects, Franks was exactly the type of player Mullen likes at QB to run his offense. You see glimpses of him at times that make you think he could be decent, which is why he's probably on some NFL roster at this point next season.

If there's one thing I hope he takes away from Saturday going forward, it would be this. In 2017, his MSU team faced a similar 14-0 deficit very quickly against uga. It was a disastrous start that rivals ours this weekend. Now, I get that this UF team is better than 2017 Msu, and this year's uga team isn't as good as that season. But the biggest reason that Fitzgerald and Msu caved and lost 31-3, while we stayed calm and stormed our way back is that our team knew that we could strike at any moment through the air. That Msu team knew they had to play just about perfect on both sides of the ball going forward to have a shot, which was basically impossible. Our ability through the air, in addition to what we can on the ground gave the entire team the boost of confidence that this wasn't even close to being over. An hour later, we're up 38-21. Even Meyer's great UF teams here never came from down 14 because the style of play was so ball control oriented. We're seeing a transformation across cfb where explosive offenses are leading the way. We can still do a lot of ground stuff with Jones, AR and whoever. But our efficiency through the air has absolutely demoralized teams on several occasions this year. Even if not to quite the same degree, that has to be a staple going forward.

Last edited:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
To slit their throats and finish it.

If they are still trying to score, we should too.

I agree that Dan going Mullen (conservative) was a big part of us not scoring in second half though but the rest of the receivers dont scare defenses.

We scored 17 points in the first half after Kyle went out and moved the ball almost at will against them. 6 points in the 2nd half (could've been more had we gone for a chip shot FG instead of going for it on 4th down). That's more points without Pitts than with.

I would have loved 50+ pts on UGAy as much as anyone; but also understand why Mullen went conservative and didn't keep being aggressive. The more amusing part for me was bangs taking a page from Muschump's book and using up damn near half a quarter to score points. Yes, they scored the TD in the end, but took nearly 7 minutes off the clock and the remainder of the 3rd quarter to do it.

We said it in the pre-game threads, if we force UGAy into a track meet and get ahead, we win the game. They aren't built to come from behind and it showed. Now, there was some element of good fortune there (at least a few downfield passes were missed by their QBs throughout the game); but that just isn't their strength and it showed.

Also, while Pitts is a matchup nightmare and the most talented offensive weapon we have, Toney threatens defenses and our other guys are more than capable of getting open and getting downfield YAC. Gamble and Zipperer had several good catch and runs; Whittemore made a key first down and got out of bounds as we were trying to score before half; and Grimes had a few impressive catches at the end of the 1st half and beginning of the 2nd to get us scores (his slant catch in the drive to start the 2nd half got us into FG range). Really think you're underestimating the talent we have across the board on offense. Here's hoping we light up the Fightin Giraffes this weekend to further prove that point. :)

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of course everyone is real happy about where we are right now.

But Mullen has had a good offenae twice since 2009. Let's hope a lightbulb came on for him re the forward pass.

EJ still seems to be running mostly QB keepers though.
What you don't get is that Dan is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. He keeps bringing in EJ to run the ball but down the road in a critical moment, maybe against Bama, he's gonna put EJ in and the dude is going to throw a big TD pass to win the game. You heard it here first!

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
What you don't get is that Dan is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. He keeps bringing in EJ to run the ball but down the road in a critical moment, maybe against Bama, he's gonna put EJ in and the dude is going to throw a big TD pass to win the game. You heard it here first!

You're assuming the OL doesn't have a false start penalty first, right?

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Oh the irony of lighting it up with a QB style you don’t want. The horror of coaching adjustments:)

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Mullen is more or less who and what I expected. I had mixed feelings on the hire, but was generally positive. He was kind of a safe hire with a high floor. I expected him to be a consistent 9-11 win coach, but was doubtful he'd ever be a consistent title contender.

He's done a little better than I anticipated (I definitely didn't expect to go 10-3 in year 1), but overall my feelings haven't budged. Despite my reservations, I'm glad we made the hire. I see him as a program saving hire. Imagine following Chump and Shark with UCLA era Chip Kelly.

I'm just concerned that we will have a Richt like situation: a coach who is too good to fire but never good enough to win national championships. That was my concern when he was hired, and my feelings haven't really changed.

But I'm not letting that take away from enjoying the wins while we have them. We're a top 10 team, our offense is rocking, and we just beat the crap out of our biggest conference rival. I'm happy.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen was indeed a safe hire. I wasn’t happy about it and still on the fence but yesterday was glorious. I think yesterday’s win was more on Brian Johnson & Trask than Mullen. Mullen continues to insist EJ get in and run up the middle even though we are clicking. I agree he’s also a “earned it” guy and will play upper class men than talent. He’s a sucker for his buddies.

Win a fuchsing championship this year and make me eat crow.

Get to the SECCG first. :lol:

Mullin isn't "it". I don't think he has the CEOs eye needed for the UF Program.

He's graded C at recruiting. He hasn't fixed it. If he left at the end of this year, the new HC would have to rebuild for at least 2-3 years. (assuming they bring A+ recruiters).

He did stop the bleeding. He has done well in the transfer portal. He did just beat UGa. He will win more than he loses.

But he's not the coach we are looking for... we will never be elite under him. We will never be consistently elite under him.

But, he did just beat that butt-sniffing, hobnail faced, f*ck Lindsay a$$holes.

So, I'm like

giphy.gif

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You act like we're struggling to crack the top 50. I'll give you an example of where I'm coming from. Auburn usually recruits somewhere in the top 10 never top 5 but they always big uglys on both sides and 4 and 5 star guys at the right positions. They manage their roster. Their coach hasn't left his highschool offense so they don't thrive. If you gave Mullen auburns roster every year, we'd compete every year.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@gatordad3 Thanks for digging up that "I am offically done" thread from FF. Funny stuff there. FF never happy no matter if we win. Complain about not beating UGA for 3 years and then complain when we actually destroy them. Can never win either way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You act like we're struggling to crack the top 50.
We were. And will be again soon.

If you gave Mullen auburns roster every year, we'd compete every year.
Look Aubarn doesn't recruit THAT well, but do you think there is some rule that he can't recruit as well as Barn?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We were. And will be again soon.

Look Aubarn doesn't recruit THAT well, but do you think there is some rule that he can't recruit as well as Barn?
I'm saying if he starts managing his roster like barn then we can compete every year. Like stop going 2 classes without a dt and shcit. Auburns talent level is similar to ours except they balance out their roster better. They don't sign 10 rush backers a year to go with 11 offensive guards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator