Thoughts on the game

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n77367 said:
Blame for me is spread around to a lot of people.

No. There is only one man to blame.

55234477.jpg

Blame Westbrook? Why is he in that position in the first place? The TE position is a train wreck. The depth top two guys are converted DEs. We've also got a converted LB, a converted FB, and a couple of true freshmen. Sure, it was terrible luck losing McGee for the season, but at the same time we were really lucky to have him on the team in the first place. It's not every day that an all-conference guy graduates with a year of eligibility remaining and wants to transfer. What about those great recruiting classes we've had? We had two highly rated TEs transfer out of the program. How does that happen with our lack of depth?

Blame Driskel? He is who he is at this point. Why is the next best option a choice between two true freshmen? We signed two blue chip recruits in one season. Then we played them both so their eligibility was set to completely overlap. Couldn't build more depth because it's tough to recruit when the position appeared full on the surface. Then we stuck with the guy who was the weaker passer and better runner because our offensive line didn't exist, and thus forced the other guy to transfer leaving a huge hole that we end up filling by yet again signing to blue chip guys in the same season. Hopefully Grier is able to red shirt and we can keep their eligibility offset.

The inability to run the ball between the tackles at the goal line? The offensive line is much improved and for the most part has done well in pass protection. As far as running the ball downhill is concerned, we were excellent against EMU, good against UK and UT, and not so good against Bama and LSU. The interior of our offensive line is still pretty unspectacular. We completely neglected the offensive line in recruiting for several years. That put us in a position where one year we didn't have enough linemen for separate teams in the O&B game and then the following year we didn't have enough to even have a game. We tried to address that problem by loading up on JUCO transfers and 3-star bodies to increase the numbers. The last class finally added some more quality, but the guys starting on the interior of the line aren't guys that we should have ever expected to excel and they really aren't excelling.

I could go on and on about every position group. There is one guy responsible to make sure that everything works, and that's the head coach. He has to make sure that we recruit well. He has to make sure that our coordinators have good schemes that fit our personnel. He has to make sure that the position coaches are developing the players.

It's on him.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In spite of Muschamp, if the players felt that Driskel would or could lead them...if they had any faith in him...they would play for him. But you can tell that they don't. When a good play happens, the overriding feeling on the team is pleasant shock...because the feeling that something bad is going to happen never goes away.

In the little time that Harris has been on the field, the attitude of the team has totally changed. The offense played for him to make good things happen. The defense even picked up their intensity. He makes a difference to everyone on the team.

If Driskel remains the starting quarterback I don't see how we can expect to win any of our remaining games.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Driskel showed more energy than I have ever seen out of him in that game. I even felt like the team rallied around him after he completed that bomb to D Rob despite all of the mistakes he had made up to that point. The student section even had a 'let's go Driskel' chant going on that last drive. Right up until the pick.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n77405 said:
I wouldn't entirely give up on Taylor. He doesn't completely lack skill. He is, however, not his father. Giving him 10 more carries likely isn't going to show much more production. Mack Brown isn't producing either, but I think most would agree, he just isn't very good, not that he isn't getting the ball enough.
Do I think we should run JD up the middle that much? Absolutely not. However, game after game after game, Taylor does nothing with the ball. Either you make the best of your opportunities and earn more of them, or you fail. Taylor is failing right now.

I wouldn't say the staff can't recruit, however I agree entirely they have been terrible at developing talent. Our talent has only excelled where it has been there from the get go, see VH3 and D. Fowler Jr.

I often wonder the same thing about practice.

If KT was running behind the left tackle of LSU he'd of had 100+ easy. Fournier is big but slow. KT would've scored

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n77698 said:
I thought Driskel showed more energy than I have ever seen out of him in that game. I even felt like the team rallied around him after he completed that bomb to D Rob despite all of the mistakes he had made up to that point. The student section even had a 'let's go Driskel' chant going on that last drive. Right up until the pick.

I agree. I have never seen Driskel play that well late in a game with outcome of the game still in the balance. I really expected him to fold on that last drive when we tied it up. Of course in the end it still wasn't enough.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n77445]

This board is an interesting (and I think accurate) litmus test. Look at the comments from even the most ardent of supporters. Fans are checking out in numbers. Now there's even a hint that the team is, too. Players don't like to lose, and when it happens bad things come out of their mouths. Pretty soon, things start getting out of control. I think we're now beginning to navigate that slide, and it's going to become a steep one over the next few weeks.[/QUOTE]

This is true. I coached. I took over a group of losers that have up the previous 2 years. We changed that attitude and won it all only losing one game all year. I am telling you he is either done or we are investing in a 3-4 more year rebuild w same coach but that is VERY hard to do

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
GatorStud;n77389 said:
I ask you Pumpers to please quit going liberal on us with your snapshot mentality. The Championship minded Zealots are focused on the 4 years body of work measuring tool. We are not growing and improving as a ball club. The team doesn't believe in itself, there is no leadership group on the field which is often found when the head coach is dictatorial and doesn't groom or empower others. Just try to STFU about the excuses, you're looking pretty silly. It's a pretty undisciplined bunch of multiple stars talent out there with an executive living out his philosophy instead of homogenizing one for the group he has at hand. That team ain't playing for coach or each other right now.

You STFU

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
GatorJB;n77400 said:
The problem with putting the loss on Westbrook's drop or any play before is that the game was not lost when it happend. The game was lost when Driskel threw the dumbest int of his career with less than a minute to go.

That INT would never have had to be thrown in a tough spot had Westbrook caught the easy pass in the end zone... we could have been running the clock out at that point

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator2002;n77778 said:
That INT would never have had to be thrown in a tough spot had Westbrook caught the easy pass in the end zone... we could have been running the clock out at that point

Come on man...JD stinks. His 3 turnovers were bigger than one drop.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;77369 said:
Well, obviously the QB is going to account for 100% of the passing. The fact he was given 21 carries and the rest of our RB's a combined 10 is a head scratcher.
He also had one fumble and two interceptions. No one else turned the ball over.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator2002;n77778 said:

It doesn't come down to just one play or player. This is by far the worst LSU team we have played in years and we should have blown them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.