Trask or Allen next year as starting QB?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The answer to the original post appears to be none of the above. Thank goodness - and CDM. I was really worried there for a while.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any reason why Zaire wouldn’t petition for that 6th year? Between him Toney and Jones you have three QBs capable of running the offense. Maybe more if they are athletic enough.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Any reason why Zaire wouldn’t petition for that 6th year? Between him Toney and Jones you have three QBs capable of running the offense. Maybe more if they are athletic enough.
I dont know how he is eligible. the rule says you can get a 6-year if you're injured in your 5th Year and miss substantially all of it. missing like your first and second-year really doesn't qualify for a sixth year.

However it would be nice to have him back.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The answer to the original post appears to be none of the above. Thank goodness - and CDM. I was really worried there for a while.

Really what has changed since the original post? UF has signed a high school kid. Now every year some high school kids contribute their first year and every year some high school QB somewhere contributes at some high level program But the bottom line is that both are low probability things.

So now UF has one more prospect in the QB batter for next year. I would still probably think Franks is the candidate most likely to win the job in this type of offense.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know how he is eligible. the rule says you can get a 6-year if you're injured in your 5th Year and miss substantially all of it. missing like your first and second-year really doesn't qualify for a sixth year.

However it would be nice to have him back.
I know that Zaire and coaches have mentioned possibly seeking a 6th year. I have also posted articles talking about you have 5 years to compete in 4 yr. I'm not going back to research those for you again. They basically say that if you are injured for 2 years you can get a 6th year regardless of when they occur. A RS without injury would not count toward that.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I would respectfully submit that what has changed is that DM now has a hand-picked candidate that he has pursued for some 3 or so years - due to his belief in that player's talent and suitability for the system. Your point about Franks being at an advantage because of his experience would ordinarily be true. However, his less than inspiring performance this year, coupled with the fact that everyone will start over at square one next Spring, seems to negate any presumed advantage. In any event, neither Trask nor Allen, the subjects of the OP and my earlier response, are likely to be factors - as things stand now. For the record, I want the best player on the field, period. I just hope that what I saw this year isn't the best we can do. Like the OP, I've pretty much given up on Franks, and I'm very encouraged by what I've seen and heard of Jones. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’ve posted this in another thread, but worth noting here that Mullen offered Franks at MSU. He apparently saw talent he could develop.

Franks was 4* because of his talent and potential, but the knock was that he was undeveloped. Both of those were evident last season. The game will slow down for him but big questions remain.

Will his ability to read defenses and checks improve? Will Mullen’s offense and it’s reads etc. be a better fit for him? Can he run zone reads and run enough to extend drives and run smartly to avoid injuries?

And how will Jones’ talent+training+read/react stack up against Franks?

If I were Franks, I’d compete this spring and see how things shake out. I wouldn’t transfer until I was sure Jones was a clear #1. Meanwhile I’d soak up everything I could from Mullen.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Theologator is quite right. Franks does have lots of physical talent - and lots of questions. This Spring, the answers will begin to materialize. I don't take any satisfaction in writing a young man off, but Franks has a lot to prove. We shall see.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know that Zaire and coaches have mentioned possibly seeking a 6th year. I have also posted articles talking about you have 5 years to compete in 4 yr. I'm not going back to research those for you again. They basically say that if you are injured for 2 years you can get a 6th year regardless of when they occur. A RS without injury would not count toward that.

Zaire did have an argument because he missed practice time with an injury his RS freshman season. Now whether that is enough to give him a 6th year is the judgment call of the NCAA. This past season doesn't help him because the injury was later in the season. If not for that missed practice time his first season while redshirting he would have no case.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just a reminder.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just a reminder.

Franks loved to Driskel some out there. Should have known what was coming when he fumbled against Michigan and the defender never even touched the ball when he was trying to go for the first down.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
On paper he may fit, but Franks at 6-5 is slow off the blocks and not particularly elusive as a runner. I won't even begin to get into that throwing motion.

Like Law said, he probably begins the season as starter but is replaced by October, hopefully by an improving Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.