Was Ohtani Throwing Games?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If the word out there is correct, throwing baseball games makes some sense. From what I've heard on 92.9 The Game late last week, he bet big on soccer games and was indebted to his So Cal bookie to the tune of $20-$25 million. Throwing the baseball games is possibly his way of recouping his losses using a different bookie overseas to minimize the risk of getting caught. If he's betting this much money, he's obviously got a serious addiction and addicts have been known to make really stupid decisions.
I hadn’t heard the betting on soccer games story, but that would make sense.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Ohtani: Hey, Mizuhara, want to bet on my game today?

Mizuhara: Sure, I bet you guys win.

Ohtani: BET!

Mizuhara: But hey, isn't gambling on baseball illegal for you?

Ohtani: Yeah, but I bet you $1Million that I don't get caught!

Mizuhara: BET!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Read the whole thing, the question remains. Normally guys who throw games do it for a big payoff. This guy has never needed the money, and knew he was going to get a record-setting contract. If he actually did this, he may be the dumbest mofo who ever played sports.
If you look down the thread, TimmySmokes’ examples fall apart. In one, the $10m bet would have paid out $250m, which is absurd risk for the house to take, and included under 6.5 Ks by Ohtani. He struck out 7. Other examples get trashed, too.

That said, addicted gamblers do insanely stupid things every day.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The practice of seppuku is very honorable in Japanese culture.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you look down the thread, TimmySmokes’ examples fall apart. In one, the $10m bet would have paid out $250m, which is absurd risk for the house to take, and included under 6.5 Ks by Ohtani. He struck out 7. Other examples get trashed, too.

That said, addicted gamblers do insanely stupid things every day.
The whole stat line is wrong for that game in the tweet. But the fact that he didn't win the bet isn't proof he didn't make it. If he is trying to allow runs he has to throw strikes and he is relying on the batter to actually hit them.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Confused Pete Rose GIF by WWE
ohhh Peeteey....you dumb sh!t

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
They'd better be letting Pete Rose into Cooperstown if they're even thinking about letting Ohtani skate.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Doesn't have to be the interpreter. I'll bet there's a lot of rich dudes with ties to this guy back in his hometown.

Saying that, it seems unlikely any house would accept this size of a bet.
No and certainly not pay it out without reporting it.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Arrogant toolbag. Almost got into a physical altercation with him at Caesars in 2006. Still kinda wished I’d punched him just for the story, but didn’t want to get kicked out.
I assume you're bigger than Bud Harrelson.

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
I don't know about him throwing games, but it does seem to me that either a) his interpreter really did steal millions from him, completely unbeknownst to Ohtani, or b) Ohtani was giving his money to the interpreter to place the bets for him. I'm willing to bet that it is b.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
I tower over him. But also, Rose is old and I was lit and quite pissed about how dinner had gone the night before. It would’ve been one punch and done. Believe me.
Not a great way to get your "15 minutes" of fame...right?

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Arrogant toolbag. Almost got into a physical altercation with him at Caesars in 2006. Still kinda wished I’d punched him just for the story, but didn’t want to get kicked out.

You pvssy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus man, the story alone is worth a trip to JAIL!!!!!

Its like I don't even know your internet persona now. I am just, I don't know what I am now. The whole damn world just went to sh!t and I don't think i like you right now.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You pvssy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus man, the story alone is worth a trip to JAIL!!!!!

Its like I don't even know your internet persona now. I am just, I don't know what I am now. The whole damn world just went to sh!t and I don't think i like you right now.

You’re right. I just booked a Frontier direct. I can only hope he’s still there. Service wasn’t terribly fast and those were big sandwiches. Will update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.