Wednesday Worsts….Cliches

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Ok Ok. Let's nip this in the butt.

Irregardlesss of what you guys are writing, I have always disliked mispellings like seperate, cemetary, etc. And with all due respect I don't like missused phrases.

Just sayin

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

Irregardlesss of what you guys are writing, I have always disliked mispellings like seperate, cemetary, etc. And with all due respect I don't like missused phrases.

Just sayin
Just heard my boss use the word "irregardless" and was coming here to post that...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Just sayin

All do respect….

What a wasted opportunity. :headslap:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just heard my boss use the word "irregardless" and was coming here to post that...
Did you get on that ass? You will pay for that the next time you want a ham samwich ;)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Ok Ok. Let's nip this in the butt, with extreme prejudice.

Irregardlesss of what you guys are writing, I have always disliked mispellings like seperate, cemetary, etc., with extreme prejudice. And with all due respect I don't like missused phrases with extreme prejudice.

Just sayin... with extreme prejudice
FIFY

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Another one that bothers me….

I ordered some custom color paint the other day. The person checking it out told me “the total is $96…is that ok?”

I asked her if I could choose a different price. She looked puzzled. Why ask me if that’s ok? This has happened a few times and it bugs me.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Since cell phones are predominately used nowadays, I don’t get this anymore but I used to hate when I called somewhere and asked for whoever and they’d say “May I tell them who’s calling?”. I always replied “Sure.”. :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
“It takes a village to raise a child.”

I remember when it took responsible parents or other family members. Seems like these days the village is often more for damage control, often after the fact. The family ain’t what it used to be, at least in terms of numbers.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
An overused word that has been around for more than a few years now is this word "eclectic". It's usually used by pretentious types. It has become increasingly downright irritating when I hear it used.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
“It takes a village to raise a child.”

I remember when it took responsible parents or other family members. Seems like these days the village is often more for damage control, often after the fact. The family ain’t what it used to be, at least in terms of numbers.
How it’s used is a lie. No accountability.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I ordered some custom color paint the other day. The person checking it out told me “the total is $96…is that ok?”

I asked her if I could choose a different price. She looked puzzled. Why ask me if that’s ok? This has happened a few times and it bugs me.

Theres no other way to interpret that other than “You don’t look like you could afford this”. Were you in your hobo clothes?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Shabby hobo chic is my new look. Is that ok?

I had a filthy rich in-law cousin (daddy was an early IBM exec) that invented hobo chic. He was always unshaven, untucked, and was very humble - you would have never known he was loaded. Really nice guy. Pretty smart guy and used his money to make more, but he’d have some hare-brained ideas too. He once decided he was going to build houses, so he bought a construction company and got about 10 izod shirts and cut the sleeves off of them because he was going to labor with the crew. He sold the company a month later at a profit. :lol:

He told the story of going to buy a Land Rover, and he looked like a hobo, so when he was ready to buy, they wouldn’t take his check. He went and got $40k in cash(he was a regular gun show buyer/seller), just so they’d think he was a drug kingpin.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Theres no other way to interpret that other than “You don’t look like you could afford this”. Were you in your hobo clothes?
After a good chuckle, you two reminded me of a time a buddy and I went to the flea market on the south side of Tallahassee looking for a cheap bumper jack. While there, we came upon a small building that advertised as having “antiques,” so we went in and had a look-see. In their “Elvis” section was a lamp that was a bust of the King with his gold sunglasses and the lapels of his white sequined jumpsuit. Tackiest thing I’d ever seen. Obviously, I had to buy it as a gag birthday gift for one of my old friends.

When I took it to the counter, the sales lady, all 300 lbs of her in a sun dress and smoking a Salem Light, told me “Ooooh be careful with that, honey! That’s a very valuable piece!” So, I set it down at the counter and asked “how much?” She gave me a look that said ‘you can’t be serious!’ and then said “baby, that piece isn’t for sale and if it was, I don’t think you could afford it!”

I didn’t know whether to be mad after being dissed by Lulu from Hee Haw at the flea market, of all places, or bust out laughing at my ignorance of redneck art valuations! But I immediately knew what BNA was talking about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator