Who should Mullen's replacement be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does bad experience count for some experience? Shcit Jim McElwain has "some" p5 experience but I sure as he'll wouldn't even want coaching my little league team.

When you are separating yourself from similar resumes you have to have a something that helps your case. Look Mullens worked at a mid major basically for a decade and we gave him this job because he once used the urinal next to Meyer.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There was never a trend.

The truth is there are 128 coaches and like 124 of them arent elite or borderline elite.

The fact is we are likely fail hiring either an OC or a HC.

That beimg said there are certain ingredients that we should be looking for, explosive offense kind of guy, NOT A BALL CONTROL GUY (whether option or other ground pounders), a great recruiter or at least someone is isnt a total social failure (in other words the people Fooley and Stricklin are drawn to), some whom demands precision amd exactness in everything including staff.

They are all disasters if you pick the wrong guy.

Part of the problem is too much money chasing too little talent. Ever the Cowbells, Rutgers and Col States of the world are flushing 4-6+ million on loser coaches, though the Pirate is hilarious. Back in the day only the top 5-10 were paying big money.

I get what you're saying. But there have been some bigger names that came up that way. Saban(Toledo), Meyer(BG, Utah), Kelly(Cincy), Harbaugh(SDSt), Malzahn(Ark St) and you could even throw Spurrier's time at Duke in that conversation. I'm not saying it's a prerequisite really, nor have all those guys become great. I just hadn't realized that so many of those names recently had completely failed. Right now, that looks like the exact opposite approach we'd want to use.

Forget guys like MacElwain who weren't overly great even there. I look at guys like Frost, Norvell, Herman and others who've completely fallen on their face trying to make that transition. It's a reminder that football is a game of inches and milliseconds. All those plays that SF and MN were running to perfection at Memphis and Ucf simply aren't there anymore. Defenders at this level close those lanes, break on that ball quicker, aren't juked out of their shoes, etc., which leaves them with seemingly no answers. And those cases are particularly scary, because they're going against Acc, B12 and B10 West defenses. It would be ten times worse in the SEC, imo.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The more I think about it, Lane Kiffen seems to be a good choice.

You realize we'd be getting rid of one guy who just played Alabama tough, for another who just had his doors blown off, right?

I'm not defending Mullen, btw. Just pointing out how silly that sounds. I'd rather go with a complete unknown and roll the dice than go with a confirmed loser who's also a complete tool.

The more I look at your post, the more I think you were joking and I was just trolled. If so, please accept my apologies.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
It’s Lane Kiffin, Lincoln Riley, Mario Christobal, maybe Mike Gundy (not sure he has the recruiting prowess we crave) and kick the tires with Ole Bobby boy.
Bob Stoops is nearly 10 years younger than Saban so he's not necessarily too old, but he's been out of the game for a full four-year cycle, meaning most HS recruits have probably never heard of him. Not to mention, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire as a recruiter even when he was a known commodity. Hard pass.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
You realize we'd be getting rid of one guy who just played Alabama tough, for another who just had his doors blown off, right?

I'm not defending Mullen, btw.
Suuuuure you're not. Tell it to The Donk, mister.

:crazy: or :bandit: incoming in 5...4...3.....

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016

I'm not defending Mullen, btw. Just pointing out how silly that sounds. I'd rather go with a complete unknown and roll the dice than go with a confirmed loser who's also a complete tool.

The more I look at your post, the more I think you were joking and I was just trolled. If so, please accept my apologies.
I was dreaming of an offensive show similar to what we used to see with SOS. someone who knows Florida and can recruit instate kids, who is 24/7 football and maybe has finally matured.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Honestly, they're both extremely bloated given what they've actually accomplished(see my post a few pages back). Smart has recruited great, took advantage of turmoil at ut and UF in 2017, while having possibly the most complete roster in cfb, and still managed to get blown out by Auburn and lose the NC game. Since then he’s made Atl twice only to be beaten by the eventual SEC Champ both times. He also has losses to Vanderbilt, Butch Jones, Jim McElwain, and Will Muschamp(in his 4th year).

KS may be a little better than DM, but neither coach has warranted their salaries.

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
Honestly, they're both extremely bloated given what they've actually accomplished(see my post a few pages back). Smart has recruited great, took advantage of turmoil at ut and UF in 2017, while having possibly the most complete roster in cfb, and still managed to get blown out by Auburn and lose the NC game. Since then he’s made Atl twice only to be beaten by the eventual SEC Champ both times. He also has losses to Vanderbilt, Butch Jones, Jim McElwain, and Will Muschamp(in his 4th year).

KS may be a little better than DM, but neither coach has warranted their salaries.

Although unfortunately Kirby Dumb has them on a much better trajectory than Dullen has UF on.

Kirby also has some pride and seems to give a rip about winning- though I don't know exactly how you lose to Mustpunt and not want to drink bleach immediately thereafter.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1*DCf9Dmm54YGp5LGvnJ9g-Q.jpeg

This guy was the shttt in his day. He won with a game manager and decent talent? Why? Because he willed it to happen and coached them into a mindset (much like Bryant) that they would win and should win. And they could run their plays in their sleep with so much repitition. YOU had to be a man to play for this type of coach. Other than SOS its all I got.

Unfortunately Lombardi wouldn’t last more than a week in today’s football.
He was a walking talking micro aggression that would be run out of the NFL or college football in record time.
He demanded excellence and millionaires don’t care.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine this guy talking about conditioning, discipline and commitment.

Big-12-Media-Day-colo-1024x672.jpg

Thank you.
As I have said before, I can’t understand how a college coach can be a lard a$$ and how he can discipline from his team

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This ^^^ We don't do anything well. If we were recruiting at a good clip, anybody dumb enough to still have this moron's back still could say Hey give him time because we have some 5 stars coming in here. But even that's not a good enough reason to keep him. He is an embarrassment to this program. The Darth Vader thing, trying to start a fight at midfield, I could list a dozen more things...He shouldn't get any more time to damage the program. He is not a good fit here. Year 4 and nothing is going well.

And year 5 will be much worse.
Most of our key contributors will be gone at year end

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

Just give him time, uga has been elite from a talent standpoint the past 4 years, what has he won with it so far? I refuse to believe he can do it until he does, if he were half the coach of Meyer, Saban or SOS he'd have at least 2 or 3 natty's so far with the talent he's been able to stock pile. He's gonna muschamp it up in a game or 2 this year, especially now that his QB is hurt and he's back to playing the walk on Bennett.

Not taking anything away from his team because I believe uga is the best team in football this year he's just a shyt game day coach and it's gonna show eventually.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I get what you're saying. But there have been some bigger names that came up that way. Saban(Toledo), Meyer(BG, Utah), Kelly(Cincy), Harbaugh(SDSt), Malzahn(Ark St) and you could even throw Spurrier's time at Duke in that conversation. .
I agree this would be the preferred method.

there just isn't a guy out there who turned around a Mac team and made him a champion in 2 years and then turned around a Wac team and made them a champion in 2 years, then beat a power five team in the Fiesta bowl. or a coach who won a championship at Duke and won a championship in the usfl.

you would always prefer someone with a resume like that, there just isn't one out there. a coordinator is always a higher risk, but guys like McElwain and Mullins are known losers.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

there just isn't a guy out there who turned around a Mac team and made him a champion in 2 years and then turned around a Wac team and made them a champion in 2 years, then beat a power five team in the Fiesta bowl. or a coach who won a championship at Duke and won a championship in the usfl.

you would always prefer someone with a resume like that, there just isn't one out there. a coordinator is always a higher risk, but guys like McElwain and Mullins are known losers.

For a while the guy Candle from Toledo was getting a ton of hype. I have no idea what offense he runs or how good he is, but it looks like his records have declined from the first few years. Only 41(which let’s be clear is not old). You have thoughts on him?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

On the surface, Butters looked better than he was. What Fooley saw was a guy from the "Saban tree" who took a moribund program and went 4-8, then 8-6, and then 10-2. And that last season his offense averaged almost 500 yds a game. On the heels of the unwatchable offense Chimp was putting out there, I'm sure he thought "this is the guy!" Of course, after five minutes of general conversation he should realized he was talking to the wrong guy, quietly excused himself, and run out of there like a scalded dog.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For a while the guy Candle from Toledo was getting a ton of hype. I have no idea what offense he runs or how good he is, but it looks like his records have declined from the first few years. Only 41(which let’s be clear is not old). You have thoughts on him?
No. I cant imagine being bored enough to watch Toledo.

Edit: Hell Frank Solich was still coaching at OU till 2020. Imagine that.

I learned about CUM only after he won big at Utah and only bc we we coach hunting.

MAC is miserable football. The cemetary of ****ty Big Ten coaches. High School is far more interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.