Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
On the surface, Butters looked better than he was. .
He is currently 1-3 and in the bottom of the MAC. (Edit I swear I read Butters looks better )

How good does he look to you?

80% of coaches win when they have more talent.

Chimp McElMulkinz are barely average at best and likely for worse. It takes a special kind of terrible for a coach to lose to Ga Southern or South Alabama.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. And he sucked for us too. You clearly did not understand my post.
You must pay to get my undivided attention.

Foley isn't complex at all. he thinks he's the reason the athletic department was good and the coaches were just siphoning off his excellence. one of my buddies working in the office and he said there wasn't enough room in the swamp for his ego.

Foley struck gold with Billy. Billy was patrino's assistant who was at the time the elite guy. from that he learned you just hire a coordinator from an elite guy.

it's no more complex than that.

SOS DC= Zook
Saban coordinators- Chimp and McElstain
Meyer OC- Douchebag** Im sure he had input.

those coaches are all obviously wildly different in style and bringing 180 degree changes with every hire. he isn't looking for a certain kind of Coach he's just hiring some of elite coach's assistant.

you think if you're the CEO of a corporation that you'd have some understanding of your main product, but not so with UAA.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Foley wasn't a football guy, Stricklin should know better

Foley isn't complex at all. he thinks he's the reason the athletic department was good and the coaches were just siphoning off his excellence. one of my buddies working in the office and he said there wasn't enough room in the swamp for his ego.

Foley struck gold with Billy. Billy was patrino's assistant who was at the time the elite guy. from that he learned you just hire a coordinator from an elite guy.

SOS DC= Zook

those coaches are all obviously wildly different in style and bringing 180 degree changes with every hire. he isn't looking for a certain kind of Coach he's just hiring some of elite coach's assistant.

you think if you're the CEO of a corporation that you'd have some understanding of your main product, but not so with UAA.[/

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Foley wasn't a football guy, Stricklin should know better
Stricklin isnt a football guy either.

Id at least have an advisory council of aome really sharp people giving me advise.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
And now I know I will never have your undivided attention.

Foley struck gold with Billy
Anytime I've seen him interviewed or speaking at a press conference, or hell, just by the way he carried himself, you could tell he was an arrogant prick who thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room. He not only got lucky with Donovan, but he got lucky that Machen was the UF president when Zook got canned. Fooley clearly had his marching orders from above; had he been left to his own devices he would have dicked around and Urbs would have ended up at ND. Instead, he ended up with undeserved credit in many quarters for that hire too.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

SOS DC= Zook

you think if you're the CEO of a corporation that you'd have some understanding of your main product, but not so with UAA.
That's all a good theory about Fa-Fa-Floley's thought process, except you built it on a cracked foundation. Floley did not, "hire a coordinator from an elite guy." Marshall University is the one that did that. Floley later hired Marshall's head coach after two successful seasons.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's all a good theory about Fa-Fa-Floley's thought process, except you built it on a cracked foundation. Floley did not, "hire a coordinator from an elite guy." Marshall University is the one that did that. Floley later hired Marshall's head coach after two successful seasons.
McElstain was a previous hire by another AD too, Im just saying that is who he considered "the right guys".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The eventual SEC Champ? :scratchhead: I believe they usually award that trophy right at the end of the game.
To be fair, we haven't seen a trophy in so long many Gators think it is like "SEC East Trophies" that you order off Ebay after the game and get them in February.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
To be fair, we haven't seen a trophy in so long many Gators think it is like "SEC East Trophies" that you order off Ebay after the game and get them in February.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
McElstain was a previous hire by another AD too, Im just saying that is who he considered "the right guys".
Yes I was just busting balls, I know Fa-Fa seems to think that doing an apprenticeship under an elite coach is an essential resume item. I believe that has worked out for him in some of those other sports that nobody watches except for @TheDouglas78. But so what? Who was SOS's "elite" mentor, or Urban Meyer's? Who was Saban's?

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
For a while the guy Candle from Toledo was getting a ton of hype. I have no idea what offense he runs or how good he is, but it looks like his records have declined from the first few years. Only 41(which let’s be clear is not old). You have thoughts on him?
Not for nothing but Toledo is not necessarily the worst place to start a head coaching career.

s-l400.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not for nothing but Toledo is not necessarily the worst place to start a head coaching career.

s-l400.jpg

Yeah, I actually referenced that back a few pages. Page 14, Chapter 6, paragraph 9 about halfway down the page under the subheading "No Longer a Good Trend". You really have to familiarize yourself with these threads.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

s-l400.jpg
Mehhhh....

Not sure where to put Saban on the spectrum. He was mostly a 4 loss coach at Mich State and Corndwag. Probably the same place I put Dabo, who spent years getting laughed at by SOS. They were both mediocre for a long time until their schools decided to devote hundreds and hundreds of millions to give them every advantage.

I honestly suspect neither would win working for our slumlord admin. Not that they'd ever come here.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Mehhhh....

Not sure where to put Saban on the spectrum. He was mostly a 4 loss coach at Mich State and Corndwag. Probably the same place I put Dabo, who spent years getting laughed at by SOS. They were both mediocre for a long time until their schools decided to devote hundreds and hundreds of millions to give them every advantage.

I honestly suspect neither would win working for our slumlord admin. Not that they'd ever come here.
Oh, brother. :rolleyes: Now you're going to tell us Saban's not a great coach?

Seven Natties? Ten conference championships? And btw, the first of those was the MAC championship he won at the aforementioned University of Toledo. You figure it was the "hundreds of millions" that gave him an advantage there?

Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

1555308013-e1555308026850.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, brother. :rolleyes: Now you're going to tell us Saban's not a great coach?
1990 Toledo 9–2

Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten Conference)
1995 Michigan State 6–5–1
1996 Michigan State 6–6
1997 Michigan State 7–5
1998 Michigan State 6–6
1999 Michigan State 9–2
Michigan State: 34–24–1

2000 LSU 8–4
2001 LSU 10–3
2002 LSU 8–5
2003 LSU 13–1
2004 LSU 9–3
LSU: 48–16