Who should Mullen's replacement be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Patterson made his name with some very stingy D's at TCU. But as time went on and offenses were given all the advantages his D's did slip. I am not saying DC per se, but I think given the right situation he could be a help to someone on any level.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Not saying I have any scoop but have relatives in the Bayou. Was told tonight that some within the higher ups would like to hire a minority and that both Tucker and Arranda are in the mix. Don;t know on what level but I would think that that the LSU AD would like to take a peek a step above name wise before he decides.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Minus then Xs and Os part of his scheme, that was my first thought as well. One common theme among NC teams these days is familiar faces that used to be HCs and are now assistants. Lane, Sark, O’Brien, Locksley. Even Luke at uga right now. A guy like Paterson would be a perfect compliment to a younger offensive minded head coach. And at his age, I’m not sure it couldn’t be a last stop long term thing. Of course, I also said that about Strong and we completely whiffed on that. But if we could get a guy like GP, that would be a great fit for us.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mel tuckers had 2 bad years with losing records and his offenses weren't all that. And one good year. FSU tried to jump on the hire a black guy after one good year train and it back fired. I'd like to see more before I'd hire tucker.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mel tuckers had 2 bad years with losing records and his offenses weren't all that. And one good year. FSU tried to jump on the hire a black guy after one good year train and it back fired. I'd like to see more before I'd hire tucker.

The little I’ve seen of Tucker makes me think he may be in his perfect spot at MchSt. I’m just not sure how well that B10 style translates to the SEC. Wouldn’t he also have been the DC in both the Aub blowout loss and the second half collapse once Saban went to Tua? I wouldn’t be horrified with the move, but he also wouldn’t be a first choice.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't hate Mel tucker. I'd just wanna see more. I do think he's more proven as a recruiter than Taggart aswell. I'd just wanna make sure that this years not an outlier.

He'd probably never be my pick because my preference is to win with offense and it doesn't look like he puts a major emphasis on that. I also don't see someone coming in here and beating kirby and saban at their own game. Im not sure the state produces the linemen to win smashmouth football games consistently. That being said I'd take him over Fickle, Aranda or another DC.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It took me a sec, but I saw what you did there.

It's fun to look at who could we hire to replace Eddie, but neither Tucker nor Franklin will be available when we have a vacancy after next season. I suspect we'll see them both at new schools in 2022. Who knows, maybe the dark horses will look more viable with another year under their respective belts.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm no foosball genius, but I do think I know a bit about leadership and leading/running organizations. I also think that foosball, at the college level, is a cross between being a battalion commander in the Army/Marines and the CEO of a $100M company. Head "Coach" is an arcane term... there is very limited "coaching" at the P5 HC level, there is a lot of CEOing. At the P5 level, the HC is managing coaching in practice and during the game, not actively coaching the offense, defense, or special teams, nor should he, I think it's a mistake.

So that said, I'm not interested in hiring a DC/OC to be the HC unless said DC/OC has other intangibles that cannot be ignored (like universal agreement that they are hands down the best recruiter in the nation). A Lincoln Riley type coordinator would fit this, and he was under Stoops. Serious question, who is the "Lincoln Riley type" coordinator out there today? Would have to be under someone we consider to basically be a current "elite" HC. To go with a "random" DC/OC is a gamble, not a risk (the difference is important).

So I'm in the "gotta have HC experience, probably has to be at the P5 level." I say this because it has to be someone that isn't just "aware" of what the CEO job entails at a $100M company, but was actively involved in multiple facets of it. You've got coaching, recruiting, booster club visits around the nation, facilities... for a P5 HC, sadly, these things are as, if not more, important than "coaching" when you add them all together.

Said P5 HC also has to be acceptable to the UF Board of Trustees. It doesn't matter who the AD, or, gasp, even Fuchs is willing to hire, it's gotta be the UF Board of Trustees, they run the university, period. That limits our choices to "a coach that isn't going to embarrass the school off the field." Up until now, Dan has done a pretty good job of this in terms of no real off field player problems. Ironically, he is now becoming the off field embarrassment.

So, again, I'm no foosball expert, but here are the two names I'm going with for now that are in the realm of the "possible" that meet my criteria.

Kiffen. Wouldn't have touched him 5 or so years ago, nor would have the Board of Trustees. But starting with Saban hiring him, he's finally grown up over the last few years. I love his on field interviews. He's not glib, no smart assed crap, just quiet, calm and professional. I also think that starting with his time with Saban, then at FAU, he truly understands, and has embraced, the CEO vs HC role. I even think the Board of Trustees could be talked into Kiffen now, with some contractual caveats.

This one would is a risk leaning towards gamble, because his record as a HC is weak, but, Locksley. He checks all the other blocks, but a risk/gamble. Like Kiffen, from Saban, he knows what level of work goes into being a CEO vs HC. He's certainly a better choice today than Dan was when we hired him based on recruiting alone. He's a DC native, so not sure what his interest in leaving low expectation Maryland would be, but ya never know.

I think most other choices are higher risks/gamble than those two, or fall into "you're dreaming if you think he'd leave to come here" category. Hell, Kiffen might be dumb to leave Ole Miss in terms of expectation levels to be met, but I think Kiffen wants to win and would move.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
It took me a sec, but I saw what you did there.

It's fun to look at who could we hire to replace Eddie, but neither Tucker nor Franklin will be available when we have a vacancy after next season. I suspect we'll see them both at new schools in 2022. Who knows, maybe the dark horses will look more viable with another year under their respective belts.

I wouldn't touch Franklin with a ten foot pole. That guy is not a winner.

However, I do think we will miss on Tucker and regret it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm no foosball genius, but I do think I know a bit about leadership and leading/running organizations. I also think that foosball, at the college level, is a cross between being a battalion commander in the Army/Marines and the CEO of a $100M company. Head "Coach" is an arcane term... there is very limited "coaching" at the P5 HC level, there is a lot of CEOing. At the P5 level, the HC is managing coaching in practice and during the game, not actively coaching the offense, defense, or special teams, nor should he, I think it's a mistake.

Kiffen. Wouldn't have touched him 5 or so years ago, nor would have the Board of Trustees. But starting with Saban hiring him, he's finally grown up over the last few years. I love his on field interviews. He's not glib, no smart assed crap, just quiet, calm and professional. I also think that starting with his time with Saban, then at FAU, he truly understands, and has embraced, the CEO vs HC role. I even think the Board of Trustees could be talked into Kiffen now, with some contractual caveats.

This one would is a risk leaning towards gamble, because his record as a HC is weak, but, Locksley. He checks all the other blocks, but a risk/gamble. Like Kiffen, from Saban, he knows what level of work goes into being a CEO vs HC. He's certainly a better choice today than Dan was when we hired him based on recruiting alone. He's a DC native, so not sure what his interest in leaving low expectation Maryland would be, but ya never know.

I think most other choices are higher risks/gamble than those two, or fall into "you're dreaming if you think he'd leave to come here" category. Hell, Kiffen might be dumb to leave Ole Miss in terms of expectation levels to be met, but I think Kiffen wants to win and would move.

One thing that stands out to me is that the two best recruiting head coaches right now are Smart and Saban, with Mario probably right behind them. All three are no nonsense disciplinarian types that haven't molded to the current climate, nor do they pander to these kids in an attempt to become one of them. Smart sounds like he's on his way to a klan meeting and Saban has the personality of a 2x4. In contrast, the guys who've tried to become hip, the ones that got into the protests last year, etc. are all falling on their faces, with lack of discipline and leadership being the most common description of the team. So as much as I'm perfectly fine going with a minority who can relate to these kids, the fact is they don't really want it, because(shocker) that doesn't get them anywhere. They want leadership and guidance even if it comes in the form of tough love. The evidence is obvious at this point.

So for a guy like Locksley, he's exactly what we don't need at this point. Beyond his record, he's the guy who goes to the players' levels rather than bringing them up to his. And as much as I agree that LK is better now, he's still one of those guys as well.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
One thing that stands out to me is that the two best recruiting head coaches right now are Smart and Saban, with Mario probably right behind them. All three are no nonsense disciplinarian types that haven't molded to the current climate, nor do they pander to these kids in an attempt to become one of them. Smart sounds like he's on his way to a klan meeting and Saban has the personality of a 2x4. In contrast, the guys who've tried to become hip, the ones that got into the protests last year, etc. are all falling on their faces, with lack of discipline and leadership being the most common description of the team. So as much as I'm perfectly fine going with a minority who can relate to these kids, the fact is they don't really want it, because(shocker) that doesn't get them anywhere. They want leadership and guidance even if it comes in the form of tough love. The evidence is obvious at this point.

So for a guy like Locksley, he's exactly what we don't need at this point. Beyond his record, he's the guy who goes to the players' levels rather than bringing them up to his. And as much as I agree that LK is better now, he's still one of those guys as well.

Mel Tucker would be both

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mel Tucker would be both

He does seem like it. Part of me concern is the more power oriented, slower B10 approach, and whether or not we'd even have the players to run it. Then I remember that the guy we have returning KO's runs 6.4 40 and is still faster than Shorter.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
He does seem like it. Part of me concern is the more power oriented, slower B10 approach, and whether or not we'd even have the players to run it. Then I remember that the guy we have returning KO's runs 6.4 40 and is still faster than Shorter.

Run oriented yes but pretty balanced....for example, 36 runs to 30 passes this last weekend...

If you can get the guys to do it, you can win with it but I do agree that would be a concern. When I think of Florida athletes, I think of fast, twitchy guys who would do better in a Lane Kiffin type of offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.