Will Grier - is he even close to ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n71324 said:
Look, dork, I have 4 years of footage on Jeff Driskel, I've seen enough! Would I be thrilled with Morningwood as the starting qb at Florida, of course not! My point was and is, Mwood could certainly be no worse, and quite possibly may even be an upgrade to Driskel. Regarding the Ga Southern game, Mwood completed 63% of his passes in that game, threw two TDs and had zero picks, basically playing with the equivalent of a frat house flag football team around him. We were totally decimated at that point on both sides of the ball.

We lose NOTHING at qb with Mwood replacing Driskel, and may actually gain in the areas of poise, chemistry, confidence and courage.

Alright Dork I actually agree mostly with that post.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n71332 said:
I have family that was directly behind the bench Saturday. He said that you could hear everything from Dunbar cussing to Muschamp yelling, etc. And he said it was if Driskel was on a different planet. Zero emotion, no spirit, just would put on the headphones with a blank stare.

I would love nothing more than to see him come out and play great Saturday. But I honestly think he's just fried. Not sure exactly what happened(beyond the obvious), but I'm not sure he has anything left.

Your family validates what I'm feeling and seeing as well. I've said it a few times before and I'll repeat it again; I think Driskel is so fried, so overwhelmed, so anxiety-filled, that he just wants it all to go away, and deep down, he's totally fine with someone else being the QB at Florida. Teammates sense this too. Not sure why the coaches don't.

RebelGator

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n70891 said:
We can always put Tyler Murph...errrr....nevermind
Jeff Driskel or bust...Season over on line 1...

Thank God, I thought that high-pitched whining noise was coming from my transmission.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
t-gator;n71292 said:
I'm watching the replay. There was so many throws he missed. I couldn't be more depressed about our qb situation. I was starting to feel good about the possibility of having a decent season. I guess we still can but this situation is discouraging. We're freaking cursed right now.

Some people are cursed. WM is one of them. We need to part ways with him ASAP.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
One fact to remember, Grier is a coaches kid. No doubt he has been groomed all his life to this point to be a QB at the highest possible level. Mentally he would be ready, physical moxie is another story. Of course, Dunce was going to start JD anyway, we seem to automatically assume Harris was going to start Saturday night.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n71419 said:
Except that after TN WM was trying his hardest to come up with a reason to play JD for LSU.

Why do you say that? Because he didn't name Treon the starter as he was running off the field or because he said not all the mistakes were Jeff's fault... they weren't. The first INT is 100% on Robinson. The third I think Driskel through too hard.. he has no touch, but Robinson had 2 other drops and Pittman had one also.

I'm not saying Jeff should start..., but you are making a statement based on 0 fact!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n71428 said:
Why do you say that? Because he didn't name Treon the starter as he was running off the field or because he said not all the mistakes were Jeff's fault... they weren't. The first INT is 100% on Robinson. The third I think Driskel through too hard.. he has no touch, but Robinson had 2 other drops and Pittman had one also.

I'm not saying Jeff should start..., but you are making a statement based on 0 fact!

You seem surprised by avr..... he drops this crap everyday then says he doesn't care anymore....:headslap:

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
ATXGator;n71428 said:

Don't forget the WR screen on 3rd and 6 where D-rob decides to run a Fly instead. Result, sack and punt.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
That blank look on Driskel's face reminds me of some of the younger kids in my dept at work....they are all on ADD/ADHD meds and think a deadline is something for other people to meet.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n71328 said:
Grier had the Spring so hopefully he is got a good feel for the playbook. He wasn't planning on playing, but our fortunes can change and sometimes greatness can result. If Driskel struggles against LSU then hopefully Champ will give Grier the chance.

The QB is our biggest problem. Team's defend us based on the fact that our QB can't throw the ball accurately and can't make them pay for blitzing. They stack the box and blitz, blitz, blitz and who can blame them. Until we make them pay they will do this and we will not score points.

Driskel has not shown the ability to make these plays... it's a new offense, but by this time in his career he should be able to hit some of these passes.

We are stuck with him for at least one more week, let's hope he gets lucky and we win.

Well there is another way to make them pay. Use multiple tight ends and a full house backfield and just jam it at them. Or pull a KY and wildcat them until they stop it. Lots of options if champ gets creative.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I hope Grier gets all the reps in practice this week. We all know
Driskel doesn't improve with practice. If anything he gets worse.

But I would never boo him. I hope the fans don't. We don't need
those highlights on ESPN.

I got a feeling Driskel is going to have the game of his career.
Hope it isn't gas.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n71236 said:
You can't possibly watch Florida football, and if you do, you must be so stoned you forget all the particulars. Morningwood was the least of our problems against Ga Southern, and actually did way better than expected considering we were in full-throws of incompetence and 4th string players at all positions at that point.

Even with our 4th string out there we had more talent at every position.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
jmskjrgator;n71543 said:
I hope Grier gets all the reps in practice this week. We all know
Driskel doesn't improve with practice. If anything he gets worse.

But I would never boo him. I hope the fans don't. We don't need
those highlights on ESPN.

I got a feeling Driskel is going to have the game of his career.
Hope it isn't gas.

Well Driskel is so irratic on the performances I would tend to agree simply because he is due. He reminds me of Kyle Morris when playing back in the late 80's under Galen Hall/Lyn Amedee (OC). Meaning just plain inconsistent. But, LSU's DL is not near what it has ever been under Miles. They are relating them back to the DiNardo era with production. So with that it sets up nice for Driskel. If he can't pull it out and have a decent performance here.....he never will. It would be amazing if Jeff could just do some little things better. Simply throw a catchable ball, put it on target (in the hands like TH did Sat.), hit them in stride. He corrects those it would be alot better. I am tired of seeing WR's having to jump like thier slam dunking a BB to catch a pass. The WR's need to step it up too. But that would handle a considerable amount more of his issues. Not sure what he can do with the rest of his Driskeling.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n71087 said:
Grier was just cleared to play the other day. He hasn't been getting reps so Skyler would probably be the emergency QB and he is almost as bad as Driskel.

Grier was only cleared the "other day" because Driskel was clearly headed to the bench. There was no "back spasms" it was their built in excuse for a medical redshirt.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Original DC;n71236 said:
You can't possibly watch Florida football, and if you do, you must be so stoned you forget all the particulars. Morningwood was the least of our problems against Ga Southern, and actually did way better than expected considering we were in full-throws of incompetence and 4th string players at all positions at that point.

Good point DC, he would be playing behind a much better offensive line this year. Laugh at me if you will but SM looked better than any other of our QB's did during the O&B game.....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
8802Gator;n71251 said:
He hasnt taken a meaningful rep since camp. Driskel and Harris took the snaps with the 1's and 2's. Add in that he has been fighting back spasms and just got cleared to return to practice on sunday and it doesnt look good. What we should do is start Driskel and go with the 2012 heavy set until Grier can go. As much as I dont want to go back to that style it was effective and it is how we can win games with Driskel under center. Although it will require Driskel to stop tiptoeing around in the run game and stick his neck out a little bit, which he seems tentative to do.

There are no back spasms, that was our built in excuse for a medical redshirt. The rest of your post is almost 100% correct. I mentioned in a post about our offense on Sunday that we need to go back to a run heavy offense....not necessarily the heavy package though. When we run the ball this year we are telegraphing it time and time again. Same thing, the H back or B back goes from one tackle to the other side and stops......we need to clear the LOS by sending them wide and going with a 2 back look and motioning 1 out for screen passes and to draw a LB or safety out of the box. Our offensive line is doing a good job at the point of attack but we are only getting 2-4 yard gains because the opposing LB's and safety's are there to make the tackle.....We might also go back to running some true option running plays and involving KT, MB, BP and Adam Lane. RB is our best skill position on the field yet we are under utilizing them and trying to use mediocre WR's too much IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.