Is Anyone Tracking Flights Out of Gainesville

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n94221]

I already speculated what Stoops is thinking, but I am certain of what Foley is. He's thinking that his career at UF is sunsetting and what a shame to go out on a sour note over the football hire when he's done so many other things to make the UAA what it is. He's backed in a corner with, given the timing of this all, only a limited hand to play. He literally needs a miracle. Stoops could be that miracle. Sorry to sound like I'm overselling it, but to have that opportunity present itself would amount to a massive stroke of good fortune. [/QUOTE]

Agree. It's been speculated that he really wanted a long-term option that he could depend on being here for a while, allowing him to sit back a bit and perhaps ride off into the sunset. Nice thought, but that's clearly not going to happen with WM. May be time to go get someone who is proven and can fulfill that fantasy.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
G 2;n94172 said:
I hear Chip Kelly is just a matter of money, too. :dance:

Notcool.gif

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
$5-6 million would be the price to pull away an established guy who already his program on the rails.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n94216 said:
Let me see...No, No, No, No. Yep that's how I feel about your selections.
If Peterson can make Washington a winner then we'll talk, winning at BSU does nothing for me.
Cutcliffe can't even excite his wife let alone a fanbase or potential recruits
SOS isn't coming back..........ever
Frost? The guy is still swinging on Kelly's sack, once CK player's are gone, Frost will show his true colors.

If I really gave two sh!ts about how you feel about my selections, I would have sent them to you for your approval before I posted.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
This report was from earlier in the year regarding Stoops:
He cites a report by NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport in January in which a source said Stoops was “more open than ever” to a jump to professional football and another report from College Football 24/7 that said Stoops leaving OU was more than “feasible” should the Sooners have good season.
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...oach-bob-stoops-leave-norman-after-2014.html/

If he's open to leaving for the NFL, he's open to leaving.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stoops would be about the best we could realistically hope for - given the choices likely out there. Assuming this piece of info is correct, of course. I'd be happy to the extent that simply the announcement would stop the bleeding, would restore credibility to the program and give us a good shot to save even this year's recruiting class. I also like his connection to SOS and the glory years here. He is a very successful HBC, well-respected and seems to run a pretty clean program. I do have concerns about OU getting fat against easier schedules and his well-documented whiffs is big games, though. We could do far worse.

Still, this feels like a very long shot. A lot would have to happen, including the UAA writing checks with more zeros than they have in the past - though I agree, we are in crisis mode and Foley just has to be thinking about his legacy. It could happen. Plus, I agree with the posters positing Stoops could be ready for a change after 16 years in Norman.

If not Stoops, how do you guys feel about RichRod? I've been warming to the idea. Consider:
  1. He won in a fairly difficult outpost at WVU.
  2. Clearly, Michigan's problems are far deeper than the head coach and there is a lot of thought out there now that he had them headed in the right direction when they whacked him. I've read that some influential Michiganders wish they hadn't been so quick with the trigger, in hindsight.
  3. He's done good work at 'Zona. Look at the numbers that offense is putting up - and he's doing it with a baby QB.
He has no roots in the SEC that I'm aware of, but he did recruit here at WVU and UM, and he's an offensive coach - something I think we all agree we need. And, he'd certainly be a lot cheaper and easier to get than Stoops.

If no Stoops, what do you guys think about RichRod?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n94261 said:
If I really gave two sh!ts about how you feel about my selections, I would have sent them to you for your approval before I posted.

:wobble:

A little testy, are we ?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorbreath;n94272 said:
Stoops would be about the best we could realistically hope for - given the choices likely out there. Assuming this piece of info is correct, of course. I'd be happy to the extent that simply the announcement would stop the bleeding, would restore credibility to the program and give us a good shot to save even this year's recruiting class. I also like his connection to SOS and the glory years here. He is a very successful HBC, well-respected and seems to run a pretty clean program. I do have concerns about OU getting fat against easier schedules and his well-documented whiffs is big games, though. We could do far worse.

Still, this feels like a very long shot. A lot would have to happen, including the UAA writing checks with more zeros than they have in the past - though I agree, we are in crisis mode and Foley just has to be thinking about his legacy. It could happen. Plus, I agree with the posters positing Stoops could be ready for a change after 16 years in Norman.

If not Stoops, how do you guys feel about RichRod? I've been warming to the idea. Consider:
  2. Clearly, Michigan's problems are far deeper than the head coach and there is a lot of thought out there now that he had them headed in the right direction when they whacked him. I've read that some influential Michiganders wish they hadn't been so quick with the trigger, in hindsight.
  3. He's done good work at 'Zona. Look at the numbers that offense is putting up - and he's doing it with a baby QB.
He has no roots in the SEC that I'm aware of, but he did recruit here at WVU and UM, and he's an offensive coach - something I think we all agree we need. And, he'd certainly be a lot cheaper and easier to get than Stoops.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on him. The one definite is that he can't bring that Mickey Mouse defense with him. Not sure if it's a DC that he's loyal to or just a system that he prefers, but it's not cut out for the SEC. If he insists on that, enjoy the desert. Otherwise, I think he's a lot like Petrino in that he's bounced around looking for something better. But that has always been a Mich/FL/ALA type job. So I do think he'd be a long term guy if hired. I loved the way he shredded uga in the Sugar Bowl and think he's generally a good coach. Curiosity makes you wonder what he could do with the talent we have here. I do think the Mich experiment was toxic from the beginning, so I don't hold that against him to the extent some do. But by no means would the be a sure thing, so it could also go south.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I read at OnlyGators that Stoops is the #1 choice according to what they are hearing is coming out of Gainesville with Peterson (Boise) is not far behind. I think Stoops would be a home run, while Peterson would be a good hire. I just wonder how Peterson would do in the SEC and whether he'd have the ability to recruit fast enough in the state to take recruits from the other schools. I think Stoops could have that instant credibility. I agree with sofla on RichRod and wonder if it would be similar as Peterson.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n94301 said:
Personally, I have mixed feelings on him. The one definite is that he can't bring that Mickey Mouse defense with him. Not sure if it's a DC that he's loyal to or just a system that he prefers, but it's not cut out for the SEC. If he insists on that, enjoy the desert. Otherwise, I think he's a lot like Petrino in that he's bounced around looking for something better. But that has always been a Mich/FL/ALA type job. So I do think he'd be a long term guy if hired. I loved the way he shredded uga in the Sugar Bowl and think he's generally a good coach. Curiosity makes you wonder what he could do with the talent we have here. I do think the Mich experiment was toxic from the beginning, so I don't hold that against him to the extent some do. But by no means would the be a sure thing, so it could also go south.

Petrino without the ick factor... hahaha

I agree with your observations - especially about what he could do with our talent on offense. Could be downright scary. I'd love to see us running up and down the field again and scoring points in truckloads. He could be a long-term homerun, or a guy who has us in lots of wild, high scoring games where we lose more that we should.

I do hope to catch some of the 'Zona-UCLA game Saturday to see how he does.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n94311 said:
I read at OnlyGators that Stoops is the #1 choice according to what they are hearing is coming out of Gainesville with Peterson (Boise) is not far behind. I think Stoops would be a home run, while Peterson would be a good hire. I just wonder how Peterson would do in the SEC and whether he'd have the ability to recruit fast enough in the state to take recruits from the other schools. I think Stoops could have that instant credibility. I agree with sofla on RichRod and wonder if it would be similar as Peterson.

Petersen's at UDub now and is a west coast guy. I've read that UDub was one of a handful of jobs he would have left Biosenberry for.

It would be shocking to see him move here period - even more so after only 1 year at what some have called his "dream job".

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n94216 said:
Let me see...No, No, No, No. Yep that's how I feel about your selections.

If Peterson can make Washington a winner then we'll talk, winning at BSU does nothing for me.
Cutcliffe can't even excite his wife let alone a fanbase or potential recruits
SOS isn't coming back..........ever
Frost? The guy is still swinging on Kelly's sack, once CK player's are gone, Frost will show his true colors.

Peterson is never coming here. If I remember right, his kid has a health issue and the treatment offered in Washington for the condition is the best in the nation.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It has to be a 'splash' hire. RichRod and Peterson aren't splash names. Stoops or any former SB winning coach (Gruden, Dungy, even Shanahan) fit that bill.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Love hearing this Stoops talk,got my hopes up (again!). Just think about it, the annual Stoops bowl w/his brother at Kentucky would be highly played esp since they are up and coming....brothers are so competitive!

I also think he has to be stale and looking at OK, he has been there a long time.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n94365 said:
only flight path that matters is the one to philly that's soon to take place

Now you really got my hopes up.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd love to get stoops but I'm not getting my hopes up . I think he could have a saban like impact here. I just don't see us spending that kind of money. I also don't know why he wasn't hired in 2010? What's changed since then other than we suck worse?

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I wouldn't mind Petrino. Buy him two Harley's and he now
has a decent DC.

We need offensive excitement and he would definitely
bring that. I know he won't be the one though.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n94272 said:

You don't go 3~9 Atleast Michigan. Especially when you're one year removed from beating us during tebows heisman campaign. The following year he went 5~7. He's done slightly above average at Arizona up until this year. What's funny is last year nobody would have even mentioned him. He did a phenomenal job at wvu but he's not a safe enough bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator