Orlando Sentinel headline-Foley: Muschamp will have entire season.....

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd said:
The fact is it looks better for the program if you give a coach 4 full years and not pull the plug mid season. Like it or not it is the classy thing to do.
If we lose to UT, then Foley should can Champ, right then and there - the season is lost. I've stuck by Champ as long as anyone, but a loss at UT would be unacceptable IMO. But I'm still hoping the team can get something positive going, starting with UT - we own those guys.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator said:
Nothing unexpected. We all know, even if only deep down, that Foley realizes he simply cannot allow UF to continue down its current path. You can make a questionable hire, and still understand the intricacies of college football. And I don't buy for a second that a decision to begin a search wouldn't start Sunday Oct 5th, if we wee to lose. It may not be finalized, and certainly not announced. But the talks would begin. He has 2 examples of post-season new hires (Zook and Muschamp), and one tat he began working on in Oct (Meyer). The results speak for themselves.

The one thing that I think has not been discussed much is the fact that in 3 years, WM has shown nothing that would indicate he's capable of winning 7-8 games. He's either had horrible seasons, or won 11 games. His teams don't seem to bounce back from adversity very well(classic irony). When we went on our tear in 2012, beginning at A&M, we were rolling, playing inspired football, and finding ways to win. Post the uga game, with one exception, we were garbage. In both last year and 2011, once we started a slide, we were garbage. So this modest improvement/headed in the right direction talk, I think, is moot. If we win in Knoxville, I do think that momentum could carry over to Lsu, Mizz and uga. Bu the same is true the other way around. Should we lose either to ut or Lsu, I could see one of those midseason slides like we've seen in his other years, and that would kill any chance of 7-8 wins. Bottomline, hopefully the team plays inspired against the vols and trends from there. But if not, it's safe to say the season and WM's career in Gville are done.
The defense played lights out and the one change he actually made that worked in 2012 for 2 big games was that non-stop Jumbo package stuff but I doubt Muschamp ever gets away with that again as teams expect him to possibly try it now.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
bayou gator;n62920 said:
I hate Mushchump. I hate Fooley. They are sorriest pair of azzholes in all of college football. I'll never forgive them for the way they have destroyed this football program. I wish both of them a slow and very painful ending to their sorry, miserable lives.

tumblr_m6fo1eoSfb1rzjjfeo1_500.gif

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
soflagator;n62924 said:
If Foley fixes the mistake, I find it hard to have anything against him. Great ADs can still make mistakes. It looks that way with WM. But the killer for us was the injuries last year. Everyone was talking about it, while also pointing to the 11 wins the previous year. As bad as it was, and as obvious as it was to most that injuries were not the real issue, Foley would have probably been crucified for making a move. If Franklin stays one more year, it's probably already in the works. Bad timing to have the injury-plagued season we had, because it just masked the problem. Then again, so did every thing going our way in 2012. We've been a mirage. But it's hard to blame Foley for that, imo.

Fair enough, Sofla... Good point on Foley. Maybe he's just hamstrung himself. I just wish he would've ended it all last year. OK... I'm off the ledge now. Thanks for talking me down. I'm just so frustrated with it all. I feel like we're all in the Twilight Zone, or Groundhog Day, reliving the same nightmare over and over.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
If you didn't expect him to say this, then you were fooling yourself. Now I believe most Gator including Foley (as proven with Zook) believes the season ends as soon as we are out of the SEC East race. I'm sure once that is guaranteed, the athletic department will be sending out people to find who is interested and who is a fit for the Head Coaching Job at the University of Florida.
We are one game back in the east with all the teams above still on the schedule and still questionable in their own right. To say that it is unlogical that we could come away with winning the east is just bias. It may seem unlikely, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still logical.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
-THE DUDE- said:
bayou gator;n62920 said:
I hate Mushchump. I hate Fooley. They are sorriest pair of azzholes in all of college football. I'll never forgive them for the way they have destroyed this football program. I wish both of them a slow and very painful ending to their sorry, miserable lives.

tumblr_m6fo1eoSfb1rzjjfeo1_500.gif
Slightly

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No excuse for Foley not to have moved on after last season except his ego imo. He didn't give Zook a 4th season and he wasn't as bad as Muschamp. I am glad that it was mentioned someone that was donating a ton of money to UF was getting after Foley also. I doubt we see any coming out this season like Foley got them to do after the Vandy game to support this mess anymore.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n62945 said:
Come on (some of you) guys. Go take a look at Foley's bio and then try to tell me he doesn't know wtf he's doing.

http://www.gatorzone.com/foley/

You can make an argument against Foley definitely on football hires but he did hit a homerun in the Donovan hire but has struck out twice when he mostly controlled the decision on the football hire. A lot of people don't realize but in the years before he became AD we were right near the top of the overall sports standings.

Gator charm

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As an old timer, let me toss my perspective out there.....

1) We all want the best for UF. Just like we did in the pre-SOS years where once every decade we might be relevant (that 69 team remains one of my favorites).
2) I think we have the best AD in the USA when you measure the entire sports program. I admire his brilliance with so many decisions.
3) Our AD fired one of the two football coaches that he hired. His football strategy has not been remotely close to what he did with the rest of the Gator programs.
4) Zook had a better product on the field, by every measurement, than where we are today.
5) I think Mush Dog is a fine DC. That was his pedigree. In fact, who thinks his next gig is with Jimbo as his DC?
6) Our AD gave our HBC a pass last year. I didn't like that but I understood the logic.
7) I hope we put it all together against UT and get on a roll. That is really our best case situation. I think 8 wins gives him another pass. I think Moses will part the Red Sea again before that happens but there is hope.
8) If we don't come out with a Victory at UT, then from a damage control perspective, a change has to be made. Look how far our program has fallen in such a short time.
9) If we don't fix this, the blame will otherwise get rightly dumped on the feet of the AD.
10) It was his call, his decision and the rest of us paying clients are along for the ride.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Come on (some of you) guys. Go take a look at Foley's bio and then try to tell me he doesn't know wtf he's doing.

See, I think that's an equally wrong(dangerous) mindset. I don't blame him so much for Zook, because that was largely a result of how and when Spurrier left. But he had a year to pick the best overall option for UF, when we were still on top of the world and considered a top 3 job, and he came up with Muschamp. That's bad, no matter who you are or how you slice it. He's obviously capable of making mistakes, which means the discussion of said mistakes--within reason--is perfectly justified.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n62958 said:
See, I think that's an equally wrong(dangerous) mindset. I don't blame him so much for Zook, because that was largely a result of how and when Spurrier left. But he had a year to pick the best overall option for UF, when we were still on top of the world and considered a top 3 job, and he came up with Muschamp. That's bad, no matter who you are or how you slice it. He's obviously capable of making mistakes, which means the discussion of said mistakes--within reason--is perfectly justified.

Remember how well Muschamp was regarding before he took the job here. He was considered one of the best assistant coaches if not the best assistant coach in the country. In hidsight it appears to be a bad hire, but at the time it seemed like a smart hire considering what happened with the previous regime.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n62959 said:
Remember how well Muschamp was regarding before he took the job here. He was considered one of the best assistant coaches if not the best assistant coach in the country. In hidsight it appears to be a bad hire, but at the time it seemed like a smart hire considering what happened with the previous regime.
And he was also the coach in waiting at Texas.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I bet Foley wont hire someone without head coaching experience this time.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator said:

Didn't say he can't make mistakes. But I disagree with you saying it's a wrong dangerous mindset. Never said Muschamp was a great or good hire, I didn't say he can't make mistakes. I said he knows what he's doing and I mean that from a body of work standpoint.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:

You can make an argument against Foley definitely on football hires but he did hit a homerun in the Donovan hire but has struck out twice when he mostly controlled the decision on the football hire. A lot of people don't realize but in the years before he became AD we were right near the top of the overall sports standings.
I'm talking an overall body of work. People are calling him Fooley with 24 NC's to his partial credit ffs.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
soflagator;n62958 said:

Your AV is scary as hell.

G

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big deal, we all know Foley isn't going to do a thing until he decides to. No amount of "noise in the system" will change any of that. I predict that he will do just what he said, he will give him until the end of the season, at which time he will likely term WM.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
soflagator;n62958 said:

In person it is much, much worse.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
soflagator;n62958 said:

I think he's trying to one up Mudd. Mudd's is still scarier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator