Orlando Sentinel headline-Foley: Muschamp will have entire season.....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n62959 said:
Remember how well Muschamp was regarding before he took the job here. He was considered one of the best assistant coaches if not the best assistant coach in the country. In hidsight it appears to be a bad hire, but at the time it seemed like a smart hire considering what happened with the previous regime.

Agreed. He was unproven, which is always a gamble, and probably one we should've learned from with Zook. But yes, he was highly regarded nationally. That being said, so was Dan Hawkins, and numerous other guys that have come from Boise. Buddy Teevens was a bust, etc. Point being that when you'r generally viewed as the best AD in the country, you're supposed to see things that others don't. Doesn't mean you have a crystal ball. But like any executive, the decisions you make, no matter how noble or seemingly great they may be, are the basis of how you're judged. As I said, Foley is still great. But, imo, he botched this one.

I actually have a good friend who's a bulldog, and he's very balanced and will even pull for UF at times. He questioned the hire from the beginning, and (paraphrasing) said 'he's a yeller that loses his temper too much and too easily. Kids won't respond to that very long'. He also pointed out that some of uga's worst teams had crushed WM's defenses(2006 and as an example). The point is there were signs that we could be taking a gamble as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
soflagator;n62958 said:
See, I think that's an equally wrong(dangerous) mindset. I don't blame him so much for Zook, because that was largely a result of how and when Spurrier left. But he had a year to pick the best overall option for UF, when we were still on top of the world and considered a top 3 job, and he came up with Muschamp. That's bad, no matter who you are or how you slice it. He's obviously capable of making mistakes, which means the discussion of said mistakes--within reason--is perfectly justified.

Remember how well Muschamp was regarding before he took the job here. He was considered one of the best assistant coaches if not the best assistant coach in the country. In hidsight it appears to be a bad hire, but at the time it seemed like a smart hire considering what happened with the previous regime.
It is a decoration we used during Halloween last year. We bought a number of those hard plastic babydolls, and my wife made a babyped. Which was awesomely scary.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
If you didn't expect him to say this, then you were fooling yourself. Now I believe most Gator including Foley (as proven with Zook) believes the season ends as soon as we are out of the SEC East race. I'm sure once that is guaranteed, the athletic department will be sending out people to find who is interested and who is a fit for the Head Coaching Job at the University of Florida.
In that case Kentucky is still in the hunt for the east

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
soflagator said:
williston_gator;n62945 said:
Come on (some of you) guys. Go take a look at Foley's bio and then try to tell me he doesn't know wtf he's doing.

http://www.gatorzone.com/foley/

See, I think that's an equally wrong(dangerous) mindset. I don't blame him so much for Zook, because that was largely a result of how and when Spurrier left. But he had a year to pick the best overall option for UF, when we were still on top of the world and considered a top 3 job, and he came up with Muschamp. That's bad, no matter who you are or how you slice it. He's obviously capable of making mistakes, which means the discussion of said mistakes--within reason--is perfectly justified.
Fair enough. My point was that he's not above criticism. When it reaches that point, that's dangerous. And I'll agree that the name calling is silly.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n62976 said:
Agreed. He was unproven, which is always a gamble, and probably one we should've learned from with Zook. But yes, he was highly regarded nationally. That being said, so was Dan Hawkins, and numerous other guys that have come from Boise. Buddy Teevens was a bust, etc. Point being that when you'r generally viewed as the best AD in the country, you're supposed to see things that others don't. Doesn't mean you have a crystal ball. But like any executive, the decisions you make, no matter how noble or seemingly great they may be, are the basis of how you're judged. As I said, Foley is still great. But, imo, he botched this one.

I actually have a good friend who's a bulldog, and he's very balanced and will even pull for UF at times. He questioned the hire from the beginning, and (paraphrasing) said 'he's a yeller that loses his temper too much and too easily. Kids won't respond to that very long'. He also pointed out that some of uga's worst teams had crushed WM's defenses(2006 and as an example). The point is there were signs that we could be taking a gamble as well.

The best AD's make mistakes. The noise in the system about him was so microscopic compared to all the good that he was preceived to have. Any guy moving from assistant to Head Coach, or from the mid-majors to BCS conferences is going to have risk. Like Hawkins this was precieved as acceptable risk. Though I do not believe a top 5 job should hire a guy with no Head Coaching experience, it was a risk that Foley and his team thought was acceptable.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
If you didn't expect him to say this, then you were fooling yourself. Now I believe most Gator including Foley (as proven with Zook) believes the season ends as soon as we are out of the SEC East race. I'm sure once that is guaranteed, the athletic department will be sending out people to find who is interested and who is a fit for the Head Coaching Job at the University of Florida.
t-gator,
They are. As odd as this year appears to be shaping up, if they pull out some games they weren't supposed to. They could be there in the end.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n62982 said:
The best AD's make mistakes. The noise in the system about him was so microscopic compared to all the good that he was preceived to have. Any guy moving from assistant to Head Coach, or from the mid-majors to BCS conferences is going to have risk. Like Hawkins this was precieved as acceptable risk. Though I do not believe a top 5 job should hire a guy with no Head Coaching experience, it was a risk that Foley and his team thought was acceptable.

Right. So as I said, fix the problem and we're good again. The only way I see this as a major problem is if he digs in and creates unwarranted excuses to keep WM after another bad year. Aside from that, the guy's had to do a HC search 3 times in 12 years. He's bound to make a mistake. I'm good with it. Just fix it.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My two cents...For Foley to come out today and make this statement tells me that he is getting barraged with emails, calls, etc. to fire Muschamp. I am 1000% certain if we lose more than one game to Tennessee, LSU, Missouri and Georgia there will be a Foley led press conference firing Muschamp. If Muschamp is going to get fired it is better to make the announcement sooner than later so coaches know the position is open and talks can start...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ergator920103;n62998 said:
My two cents...For Foley to come out today and make this statement tells me that he is getting barraged with emails, calls, etc. to fire Muschamp. I am 1000% certain if we lose more than one game to Tennessee, LSU, Missouri and Georgia there will be a Foley led press conference firing Muschamp. If Muschamp is going to get fired it is better to make the announcement sooner than later so coaches know the position is open and talks can start...

I think we will know if Muschamp is definitely gone by the first weekend in November. Because we will either be in the race for the SEC East, or out of it. If we are out, there will be a change made.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n63000 said:
I think we will know if Muschamp is definitely gone by the first weekend in November. Because we will either be in the race for the SEC East, or out of it. If we are out, there will be a change made.

Correct. And I guarantee there are feelers out right now. No offers or real discussions. But Foley's said before that he has a list of potential HCs that he revisits all the time and modifies. And that's when things are stable with no change on the horizon. A guy who takes that much precaution during calm periods is not going to go into this blindly.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I see they are keeping Muschamp off the Gator Hotline until the LSU game week. I wonder if that changes if Tenn pulls the upset. They would probably have someone fill in the rest of the season then.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n63009 said:
I see they are keeping Muschamp off the Gator Hotline until the LSU game week. I wonder if that changes if Tenn pulls the upset. They would probably have someone fill in the rest of the season then.

He needs to overcome the adversity on the air!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n63013 said:
Gee when I told everybody about this yesterday after my lunch with a high $ booster, my thread was merged and I was called out as full of BS. I had more info, but since nobody was going to believe it, I kept it to myself.

Who was the big money guy raising hell that the paper alluded to ?

G

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gatoravatara said:
Gee when I told everybody about this yesterday after my lunch with a high $ booster, my thread was merged and I was called out as full of BS. I had more info, but since nobody was going to believe it, I kept it to myself.
:cry2: Just messin' with you.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ergator920103;n62998 said:

Talks really can't start with a coach until their season is over. At least regular season is over. So there is no benefit to making an annoucement sooner... it actually hurts the team, because if Muschamp thinks he is the coach he keeps recruiting and some guys will stay because they want to be Gators regardless of the coach..., but if there is nobody recruiting them and giving them offers... they can't sign.

G

Founding Member
Founding Member
ATXGator;n63022 said:
Talks really can't start with a coach until their season is over. At least regular season is over. So there is no benefit to making an annoucement sooner... it actually hurts the team, because if Muschamp thinks he is the coach he keeps recruiting and some guys will stay because they want to be Gators regardless of the coach..., but if there is nobody recruiting them and giving them offers... they can't sign.

I don't know. Do you think recruits are anxious to come knowing that WM is on the hot seat?

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Seems there is a new round of Foley-excusing going on again. Football matters. And he simply sucks in that department. While the only thing I have to look forward to is knowing Champ will be gone soon enough (even if I have to wait until season end to see it), knowing that Foley will once again lead the search on his own is horrifying.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
kepler said:
Seems there is a new round of Foley-excusing going on again. Football matters. And he simply sucks in that department. While the only thing I have to look forward to is knowing Champ will be gone soon enough (even if I have to wait until season end to see it), knowing that Foley will once again lead the search on his own is horrifying.
Football does matter, but his job is bigger than football too. Once again, great AD's make mistakes sometimes but calling for his job is out of line IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.