SOURCES: Coaching rumors - Bob Stoops? NFL coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n108591 said:
Some guy claiming to have connections (we all know that right) is swearing we can take any big time college coach that has a large buyout (which is most of them) off the list because Foley isn't going to pay 2 big buyouts and that they already have a couple of NFL coach possibilities if they have to go that route.

Sounds like Schiano to me.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n108769 said:
Sounds like Schiano to me.

Man I hope not. I am starting to get the feeling if its not an NFL guy that it will be someone like Doc Holliday and not a real big time coach due to all the money buyout talk however.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n108755 said:
The Gundy talk is not comforting. Going from one unbalanced approach to another isn't what we need. There has been talk about him not even watching the defense when they are out. That scares the hell out of me. I'm also not fond of a guy who'd leave his alma mater(within the Power 5) for another school. Seems like he'd be willing to leave us the second we had success and his name was mentioned for Dallas or some other NFL team.

Crazy sounding, I'm sure, but I'd almost be more excited about Quinn at this point. If he learned anything from his former boss it's that he needs to bring in a quality OC, stay hands off, and focus on defense. But I'd be shocked if we went the coordinator route again.

Gundy has been pretty damn solid until this year. Heck even Billy donnavan had 2 down years. His defenses usually give up a lot of points because teams are playing from behind. Also they force a lot of turn overs. I don't think you have to worry about him getting hired any how. Not with the season they're having. There's going to be alot of rumors according to Foley. Also if we go the coordinator route they'd probably grab an oc.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kelly or Harbaugh would be a coup. I'm not too excited about Quinn since he has no HBC experience. I like McDaniels as well.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw that Stoops does not have any buyout clause in his contract so he is definitely on the table despite making 5.25 million now.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n108755 said:
The Gundy talk is not comforting. Going from one unbalanced approach to another isn't what we need. There has been talk about him not even watching the defense when they are out. That scares the hell out of me. I'm also not fond of a guy who'd leave his alma mater(within the Power 5) for another school. Seems like he'd be willing to leave us the second we had success and his name was mentioned for Dallas or some other NFL team.

Crazy sounding, I'm sure, but I'd almost be more excited about Quinn at this point. If he learned anything from his former boss it's that he needs to bring in a quality OC, stay hands off, and focus on defense. But I'd be shocked if we went the coordinator route again.

Agree, two people who have me shaking my head are Schiano and Gundy. Schiano is about as horrible a candidate as I can think of, and I'm lukewarm at best on Gundy. One name I haven't considered who would be a good below the radar guy is McDaniels, as long as Foley gets a good commitment from him that he won't bolt for the next NFL opening.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
The Original DC;n108814 said:
Agree, two people who have me shaking my head are Schiano and Gundy. Schiano is about as horrible a candidate as I can think of, and I'm lukewarm at best on Gundy. One name I haven't considered who would be a good below the radar guy is McDaniels, as long as Foley gets a good commitment from him that he won't bolt for the next NFL opening.

You're lukewarm on a guy whose won a lot of games while playing second fiddle to Oklahoma but would go for an NFL bust like McDaniels?:headscratch:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mcdaniels doesn't sound the least bit appealing. Nfl guys usually don't translate.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
t-gator;n108778 said:
Gundy has been pretty damn solid until this year. Heck even Billy donnavan had 2 down years. His defenses usually give up a lot of points because teams are playing from behind. Also they force a lot of turn overs. I don't think you have to worry about him getting hired any how. Not with the season they're having. There's going to be alot of rumors according to Foley. Also if we go the coordinator route they'd probably grab an oc.

MG's track record is solid. It's the manner in which he's won that concerns me. As I said, he almost treats defense like it's merely a break for his offense before going back out and scoring more points. To me that's as bad as WM's view of the offense being almost a necessary evil. Just not a fan. Now, if he truly recognizes that such thinking may net you 9-10 wins in the B12, but will get you killed in the SEC, and subsequently brings in a solid DC, then we could be in good shape. Otherwise, it's just as bad being up by 28 in the 4th and having no real confidence that the game is over, as it is playing an entire game with a 7-10 point lead, with the same uneasy feeling.

I just think we need a balanced coach, not a glorified coordinator. Just my thinking.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
soflagator;n108819 said:
MG's track record is solid. It's the manner in which he's won that concerns me. As I said, he almost treats defense like it's merely a break for his offense before going back out and scoring more points. To me that's as bad as WM's view of the offense being almost a necessary evil. Just not a fan. Now, if he truly recognizes that such thinking may net you 9-10 wins in the B12, but will get you killed in the SEC, and subsequently brings in a solid DC, then we could be in good shape. Otherwise, it's just as bad being up by 28 in the 4th and having no real confidence that the game is over, as it is playing an entire game with a 7-10 point lead, with the same uneasy feeling.

I just think we need a balanced coach, not a glorified coordinator. Just my thinking.

Not that I don't agree, but I just don't see any "WOW" balanced coaches out there who will leave their current positions.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Original DC;n108814 said:
shaking my head are Schiano
DC, I keep bringing up Schiano because my Hurricane friend says so. I told him he's just wishing that on us so he's not available when they sh!t can Golden.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fellas, if today is any indication, this is going to be a crazy few weeks. We all but had Stoops signed, sealed and delivered this morning, and now apparently he has been eaten by an alligator in Lake Alice.

To tell you the truth, with all of the info, press conference, "insider" tips and common sense floating around and to factor in, I have absolutely no sense of who our next HBC. None. No gut feel. And it is harshing my buzz from yesterday's announcement, dammit.

:gah:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Heck come to think of it mcdaniels hasn't done anything but ride Brady's coat tail. In his one stint as a head coach he failed miserably

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n108819 said:

I agree to some extent. I think he's right on par with Sumlin.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
t-gator;n108831 said:
Heck come to think of it mcdaniels hasn't done anything but ride Brady's coat tail. In his one stint as a head coach he failed miserably

This.....

Kind of why I have been scratching my head on people saying McDaniels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator