UF QB Situation

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't saying Vandy would have beaten us I was just saying Muschamp had to deal with Franklin. Mac hasn't been very impressive against Vandy either though. We had to go to OT to beat FL Atlantic as well.

Vandy was a torn in Spurrier side as well. I would say his last outing against Vandy was worse than the 2015 version. The game after UGA is always going to be an emotional let down, due to what UGA is... We should have played them much, much better in 2016 than we did. But I also think their Derrick Mason is a good coach as well, should be a better job sooner more than later.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
McElwain vs Muschamp's staff. Muschamp had better defensive coaches in my opinion... But had worse offensive coaches, mostly due to his having 3 different offensive styles in 4 years which mean he recruited a bunch of players who didn't fit any offensive style. I would say over all it's a wash.

I am talking about Pinkel, Franklin, Spurrier, Richt vs the dog crap pile of coaches that are now SEC East head coaches. The SEC east the last two years were the worst two years since we went to two divisions.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am talking about Pinkel, Franklin, Spurrier, Richt vs the dog crap pile of coaches that are now SEC East head coaches. The SEC east the last two years were the worst two years since we went to two divisions.

Franklin to Mason is a downgrade, but Mason is a good coach
Spurrier to Muschamp... football mind huge downgrade, I don't know how interested Spurrier was the last couple of years, especially the 2014 season.
Richt to Smart... about equal.. guys who will bring in talent and underachieve.
Pinkel to Odom, Pinkel was a decent coach, only one year of Odam so N/A, seems to follow the same formula
Butch Jones started in 2013 at Tennessee I'm not a fan, but he now has his guys in there.... he will find a way to underachieve
Mark Stoops started in 2013, team plays hard, but more of the same out of Kentucky

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Kirby and Richt equal?

Now I know you'll lie through your teeth to try to back up your argument.

Richt is 155-54 overall and 11-5 in bowl games with two SEC Titles.

Good god...let's just walk away from this one.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kirby and Richt equal?

Now I know you'll lie through your teeth to try to back up your argument.

Richt is 155-54 overall and 11-5 in bowl games with two SEC Titles.

Good god...let's just walk away from this one.

What has Richt won? Richt is a solid coach, but he will find a way to underaachieve with his talent. I expect the same thing out of Kirby to underachieve. I expect him to be Chump lite, heavy on defense, but to allow his offensive staff a little more control. Like Richt will show flashes of possibly putting it together, than choke. Richt does have two SEC titles... 2002 which was his best team (1 loss) and 2005 (3 loss team). But how many times did he have the talent in those 15 years should he been competing for National Titles? In the last decade did you believe he would be competing for anything other than 2nd place in the SEC East at the beginning of the season?

Also right now McElwain is a 4 loss coach wiht us... Richt is on average a 3.4 loss coach. On teams that are exclusively Talent he has brought in 2005-2015 he is a 103-41 or 4.1 loses a season coach.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I was the first one here to have Grier as an avatar and I had high hopes he could take us to the next level. He has the talent to be a real good QB and its sad that he is gone. Its even sadder that he wasnt smart enough to realize his potential or his responsibility of leading the Gators football team. Every single player knows the rules and are told to clear EVERYTHING thru the trainers. Even the backups know this which makes it even worse for a starter. That leaves only one person responsible. Will Grier. If he follows the rules, he is still the QB of the Gators.

And if he had stayed and been a good team mate and Gator he probably would also be our QB.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I'm pretty sure he thinks Mac is a really good coach. Ask him?

I do think he is a good coach. I don't think he is a great coach. He's definitely not in the same league with Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, etc.

I do think he has the potential to one day be great perhaps.

I think we are a QB away from competing for championships.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I do think he is a good coach. I don't think he is a great coach. He's definitely not in the same league with Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, etc.

You honestly think he has recruited championship caliber defensive players?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
You honestly think he has recruited championship caliber defensive players?

I think our team as a whole has the necessary talent level to compete if we have a QB capable of running the offense efficiently. I didn't say we currently have the talent level to consistently beat Bama. I said I think we can be competitive if Mac gets a QB.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Competing for championships is exactly what you said. Bama is the current SEC champion. If we can't beat them consistently and you think we have the players then are we lacking the coaching?

SOunds like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I'll ask again...do you think he has recruited championship caliber defensive players?

The numbers say he hasn't. Least talented defense in a long time.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Competing for championships is exactly what you said. Bama is the current SEC champion. If we can't beat them consistently and you think we have the players then are we lacking the coaching?

SOunds like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I'll ask again...do you think he has recruited championship caliber defensive players?

The numbers say he hasn't. Least talented defense in a long time.

I said I think we are a QB away from competing for championships. That is not the same as saying I think we can consistently beat Bama.

You are going back to your old tricks.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

We are a QB away form KNOWING if we are a QB away. If Franks is the real deal and we still have a 3 digit offense then the past two years were the norm. It's more likely that it's the norm but there's only one way we gonna know. Too many unknown questions masked by bad QB play.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
T Rex, so you think that Missouri team that won back to back would have beaten this years Tennessee Team? This years Georgia team? Records aren't the only measure of a team (especially when you compare years and eras). Missouri was 12-2 and 11-3, because the rest of the division was Dog $hit. In what Year is Vandy a real 4-4 team in SEC play? If Georgia, Tennessee and us were not down in 2013, 2014... would Missouri or South Carolina have the records they did?

Sorry to burst your bubble but records are all we have to compare past teams and years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Just wanted to make sure.....Some folks still think Grier took his ball and went to West Virginia....
Grier in his own words:

I said, the exact quote, “I just want to know what your plans are for the future. Are you going to bring in more guys? Am I a guy you don’t see playing here in the future?” He said, “You’re welcome here in the future, you’re a Gator, but I’m not telling you my plans. I’m not giving you any guarantees.” That answer does not sound like a particularly bad one from McElwain. In fact, it appears to go along with what was reported at the time of Grier’s transfer.

I agree it sounds like a perfectly reasonable answer to me.

Grier says a second meeting with McElwain was set up as a last-ditch effort to see what Grier could do to “make it work” at Florida. He claims that took a negative turn, too.

Why was Grier asking for a 2nd meeting? He had his answer. The only reason I can think that Grier was going back was for a guarantee.

He finally ended up saying, “Maybe a fresh start isn’t the worst thing.” He said that, and I said, “So I guess that’s the move.”

Why would Mac say that? Maybe he was tired of Grier coming in and asking for a fcvking guarantee. Mac gave him the answer and it was all Grier could reasonably expect. Grier was pushing for the guarantee and Mac was tired of his (and his dad's) crap.

Grier says “it was obvious [McElwain] didn’t want me [to remain at Florida]” and he “will never understand why.” He goes on to note that “I never thought McElwain appreciated anything I did,” saying that a coach who did appreciate him “would’ve done anything to get me ready to play for the next year” and not the opposite. McElwain said he would allow a transfer to any school outside of the SEC and “was very helpful after that, once he knew I was leaving.”

Grier sounds like a a butt hurt snowflake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator