Will Grier suspended rest of season for taking PEDs

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Now Grier is like a top QB recruit well worth waiting for.
But if Treon leads us to top wins, it will be difficult for Grier to be accepted back in
as their true leader.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Guys,

Fill me in here. I'm watching the press conference and see that Will and Coach are visibly upset but from a Gator Bait insider, this was known the night of the Misery game. So they knew then right? Did they think it was just gonna get brushed under the carpet then?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n296251 said:

I don't care what media folks say in their interpretation. The eligibility he loses must be while he's sitting out, not an additional loss. In other words, he can't play and while he can't play for the 365-day period he is using eligibility. ...or he's gone for a year and loses that year of eligibility. Just 'cause ol AP staff writer says so, doesn't make it so. That would be very illogical. ...which isn't beyond the NCAA, but I won't believe that interpretation until someone from the UF program says so.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
OllieGator;n296271 said:
Guys,

Fill me in here. I'm watching the press conference and see that Will and Coach are visibly upset but from a Gator Bait insider, this was known the night of the Misery game. So they knew then right? Did they think it was just gonna get brushed under the carpet then?

If the suspension hadn't been levied yet, or the B sample hadn't come back positive yet, he was eligible to play.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n296272 said:
I don't care what media folks say in their interpretation. The eligibility he loses must be while he's sitting out, not an additional loss. In other words, he can't play and while he can't play for the 365-day period he is using eligibility. ...or he's gone for a year and loses that year of eligibility. Just 'cause ol AP staff writer says so, doesn't make it so. That would be very illogical. ...which isn't beyond the NCAA, but I won't believe that interpretation until someone from the UF program says so.

I agree man. I'm just posting the link.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
OllieGator;n296271 said:
Guys,

Mac said he found out Sunday, but he also said they obviously have a leak somewhere inside the organization...thus the rumors starting to circulate Saturday night.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n296260 said:
I haven't read or heard anything from any of the talking heads that makes it sound like a reduction of the penalty is likely at all. Unless he has tape of somebody holding him down and forcing it down his throat, or telling him its Skittles when in fact its whatever it is, I think he's sunk.

If its truly the case that he loses a year of eligibility along with a 365 day suspension, then the Grier era is over at UF, just no way we don't move on.

how did you get any sense of moving on permanently from that press conference today?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n296209 said:
I'm not saying kick him out of school but you can't put a season on hold. He cost us this season. And six games next year? Sorry, I'm just not buying that it is a good idea.

It sucks. It was a punch in the gut. And he loses a year of eligibility. I guess I have a hard time putting everything on hold for ANOTHER year and a half. Band-aids all over the place.

Next year was the year I was really hoping to take that next leap. This year is all gravy but next year. Let's get a starter we can rely on.

That's dumb.

Will Grier will continue to practice with the team, grow with and be in meetings with Treon and the other QB's and foster a team atmosphere. UF will appeal the ruling and try to get the penalty reduced. The coaches and players will keep winning and when he's eligible to return, he'll be traveling with the team and playing if he's the best we've got.

He didn't cost us this season. He's a big reason we're 6-0. We won't have to forfeit any games because of him. The only harm he's done us is playing so well that we'll miss him.

Pick up your chin Will. Life goes on. You'll learn from this, as will your team-mates. You could be missing the year with an injury and it would be less your fault and more harmful. Work 'em silly this coming year and Go Gators!

:chomp:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n296224 said:
I have no doubt the suspension is going to be reduced on appeal. He'll be ready to go week 1 next season.

I have lots of doubts, but that is my hope.

:chomp:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n296260 said:
I haven't read or heard anything from any of the talking heads that makes it sound like a reduction of the penalty is likely at all. Unless he has tape of somebody holding him down and forcing it down his throat, or telling him its Skittles when in fact its whatever it is, I think he's sunk.

If its truly the case that he loses a year of eligibility along with a 365 day suspension, then the Grier era is over at UF, just no way we don't move on.
Not sure how you picked up on that. Mac said they would appeal. Even if he is unsuccessful and comes back as a RS Soph our QB situation does not change much at all. Treon is still here. I am sure Mac will welcome him back as he has with Harris himself and other suspended Gators. If Grier does not stay. He's banned til this time next year, 2016 season. "IF" he did decide to leave he'll sit out a year after that to transfer unless he went to a smaller school. So at the earliest he could play would be perhaps mid 2017 or beginning 2018. So who else would Grier compete against next year other than Harris and some Freshman incoming QB's. I think what I saw today with Mac......WG is his guy and he'll be welcomed at UF as long as he wants. He have to work to take the starting job but he's done it before. To early to say he'll leave, but not early enough to think that with this support, he stays.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We seem to have a lot of bolt from the pocket plays, not as fluid with Treon albeit it was early in the year when the quarterly pissing matches were going on. Gotta like the pocket delivery or attempts versus the breakdown scampers. I don't know, probably the twilight zone effects of the disappointing news on Grier. Final thought, Treon can you focus on team and being a model player. I mean embrace the second chance at the big national show. Can you just say the hell with the quick sloppy finger and buzz mentality. Two heroes in a season can be a great story. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n295984 said:
Really, this is worse than September 1984 in Gator history??? In Gator history, NOTHING is worse than September 11, 1984 (I know the date, b/c my first son was born THAT day - I came home from the hospital, with wife and baby resting comfortably, turned on the ATL local news, and then . . . BOOM, Pell and his many, many, many violations was THE #1 story on the sports). Talk about a contradiction in emotions - a joyous day, and then, with regard to the Gators, a VERY sad and bad day.

Regarding the Gators, and being a Gator, NOTHING was worse than THAT day, and then having to endure the two years that followed that. NOTHING.

I've never seen a Florida quarterback whose star was on the rise like Grier's DQ himself for a year over 'roids nor have I heard of it happening, so I'm pretty sure it's unprecedented in my 40 years. Will it be as impactful as what Pell did? That wasn't at all my point. The kid just set the college football world on its ear with the revelation that he's been pushing the competitive envelope over a substance that, really, only heavy-duty body builders do. I'm a little bit shocked, aren't you?

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
if our players feel like a lot of posters here feel, we should just forfeit the rest of the games, I think the team will rally around all this negative stuff

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n296256 said:
in what world is fsu more difficult than lsu?

More difficult than with Grier.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I blame Mustank.

Who's our 3rd string QB? Not looking forward to watching "Yakkity Sax" Harris for the rest of the year.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TN G8tr;n296284 said:
Not sure how you picked up on that. Mac said they would appeal. Even if he is unsuccessful and comes back as a RS Soph our QB situation does not change much at all. Treon is still here. I am sure Mac will welcome him back as he has with Harris himself and other suspended Gators. If Grier does not stay. He's banned til this time next year, 2016 season. "IF" he did decide to leave he'll sit out a year after that to transfer unless he went to a smaller school. So at the earliest he could play would be perhaps mid 2017 or beginning 2018. So who else would Grier compete against next year other than Harris and some Freshman incoming QB's. I think what I saw today with Mac......WG is his guy and he'll be welcomed at UF as long as he wants. He have to work to take the starting job but he's done it before. To early to say he'll leave, but not early enough to think that with this support, he stays.
The guy from Oregon State is supposedly pretty darn good too. I'm sure there will be a fair competition, but it seems a little unlikely they will plug Grier in game 7 next year if we are having a good year and are productive on offense. That has to be at least partly why we will try to get the suspension to this year only. Takes a lot of controversy out of week 7 next year.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n296299 said:
The guy from Oregon State is supposedly pretty darn good too. I'm sure there will be a fair competition, but it seems a little unlikely they will plug Grier in game 7 next year if we are having a good year and are productive on offense. That has to be at least partly why we will try to get the suspension to this year only. Takes a lot of controversy out of week 7 next year.

True, hopefully Mac gets it reduced. I think him owing it to the fans, media, and publicly will go a long way.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I was shocked then - especially after the amount of energy that I put into celebrating, drinking and dancing on Univ and 13th.
It was a coaching staff that played outside the lines and put our entire program on the downhill slide for the rest of the 80's.

I am shocked now that a kid who is in his second year - and with a Dad who's a football coach, didn't bother to run the supplement by the UF staff.
Doesn't that seem odd?
So I'm not buying the "he's 19 and a kid" excuse. Plenty of 19 year olds don't do that because they know better.
His Dad said it was an honest mistake... oh well. Either way... we gotta play the bayou bengals this Saturday.

At least it is limited to one player this time around versus the entire program like it was under Give 'em Hell Pell.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
MatthewM.;n296277 said:
how did you get any sense of moving on permanently from that press conference today?

The link somebody posted from USA Today said he would be banned through 6 games next year and would then be a redshirt junior when he returned. I commented that IF that was true, I didn't believe he'd ever be "back" as the starting QB, as the program would have to move on.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
OcalaGator83;n296305 said:
The link somebody posted from USA Today said he would be banned through 6 games next year and would then be a redshirt junior when he returned. I commented that IF that was true, I didn't believe he'd ever be "back" as the starting QB, as the program would have to move on.
Yeah, they got it wrong. He'll miss the rest of his Freshman Year and half of his Soph year unless we can get it reduced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator