2019 Quarterback Competition

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whoever puts the work in during the offseason will be the starter.

I, for one, never expected Feleipe to even be this serviceable after last season, but his trajectory actually seems to be trending upward. Despite being far from a polished QB, I have seen a lot of maturtion and growth from a kid that is only a few years removed from essentially running a backyard football style offense in high school. Mullen has molded the legs, torso, and arms of a good college QB. He is in the process of shaping the head and it’s coming around sooner than we think.

He showed us a lot today with the edge he played with and the emotion after the game. It’s clear he cares and wants to be a good football player. If he begins to settle in, survey the field, and limit the mental mistakes, he has all the tools to be very good. He will connect on deeper passes regularly as the game continues to slow down for him.

That said, I anticipate that Emory will also make a jump next season. Like others have pointed out, there will be legitimate competition at the quarterback position and I hope they push one another every day in the off season.

It’s nice to have a good taste in your mouth at the end of a season. We’re on our way back, guys.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I'm obviously projecting over the next two. Franks severely limits our passing game.

In my mind, you can't win a title absent a solid passing game. I don't know that Jones could fill that void, but I also don't know he can't. I want to know.

I know Franks can't. That kid had a receiver in the end zone about eight yards away screaming for the ball. He ran out of bounds.

Could Franks throw for 50 more yards per game next year with continued coaching? Could he throw one more td pass every other game with continued improvement and coaching?

That would be 3200 yards and 30 td passes. How many have done that at UF?

With one year of real coaching....in his life....he threw for 2500 and 24-6 in the SEC. The kid came from a tiny high school. The leap was unreal.

My prediction is that both will see the field next year. We are in a good position.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
What they do in practice does. Mullen will make that call.

You seem defensive about the possibility of change. Why? Emory Jones is a Gator, too, isn't he?
Defensive? Really?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well I guess as many think that a 175# stick man whose helmet appears way oversized for his body and hasn't had a run over 5 yards or thrown a pass against SEC competition and will need to run 10-15 times a game in Mullens offense, will.....
You're a bit behind. Jones is now at 199. There was a pic not long ago of all the current Gator quarterbacks with Tebow. Emory had put on significant muscle mass. Probably needs 10-15 more max.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Despite the improvements he's made this year, and will make in the off season it won't be nearly enough for the drunk SOB two rows behind me in the swamp.

I think Frank's will definitely put his name in for evaluation for the draft, and wouldn't be shocked if he thought enough of himself to leave.

Next year.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Wtf? Why can’t you hope that? EJ has an excellent chance to earn the job next year. Is it your position that EJ would have led us to a NC this year as a freshman? My point is ....is it necessary to denigrate DM or FF just because we think someone else may be better? I have never understood Gators bashing Gators. BTW I can’t wait to see EJ on the field and I personally think JJ may be the best of all.
I hope you're right about JJ, and no, I'm not suggesting EJ was going to lead us to anything this year. I've just seen enough of Franks to believe he's limited, so I'm hoping we have someone on the roster that can beat him out next year. I always hope the young guys can beat out established starters, Just means we're getting better.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That pic with Tebow was posted here. Would be interesting if we could find it. He looked bulked up.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's smaller than Toney.....and I don't think he's 6-2 either....if he was his hands would be big enough not to fumble 6 or 7 times in his 25 reps this year.....yes they lie.
Lol, perhaps, but not by that margin.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He's smaller than Toney.....and I don't think he's 6-2 either....if he was his hands would be big enough not to fumble 6 or 7 times in his 25 reps this year.....yes they lie.
So you're all in on Franks and never want EJ to see a snap? Just want to get your idiocy on record.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We watched our offense March it up and down the field pretty much at will against the number 1 defense in the country today with Franks at qb. Why would qb controversy pop up in anyone 's mind?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Some serious hate there. I wonder why.
Beats me. Franks has given fans reasons to bash him. EJ has done nothing but look great in his limited opportunities. This team could be legit contenders with an elite QB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator