Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of all of our committed recruits, is there a list of EE guys?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Will Sammon released a recruiting article today (sub required).

1. We are recruiting an unranked runningback named Jalen White. He is visiting this week. We want to see his "size and build" in person. I like him and would have no problem if we offered him a scholly. He has good speed and is a tough, physical runner.

2. Also, Leonard Manuel said that he likes Mullen's offense because of the way they spread it around,

“No, sir,” Manuel said recently when asked if Florida would be more attractive if it had receivers closer to 1,000 yards over the past two seasons. “I love the way Dan Mullen is handling the offense. I would rather everyone eat. Dan is the man.”

3. As others have posted, Britt is indeed being recruited to play safety at UF. We are still in contact with Avantae Williams.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So we have three RB recruits on campus this weekend, let's hope Knox doesn't f*ck this up:

(former FSU commit):

(Miss State commit):

(no offer yet):

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Will Sammon released a recruiting article today (sub required).

1. We are recruiting an unranked runningback named Jalen White. He is visiting this week. We want to see his "size and build" in person. I like him and would have no problem if we offered him a scholly. He has good speed and is a tough, physical runner.

He is a north and south runner from looking at his highlight reel, which beats the hell out of watching a lot of high school backs that just try to out run everyone to the sideline.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
So we have three RB recruits on campus this weekend, let's hope Knox doesn't f*ck this up:

We can take White any time we want. I get the feeling we'll have to blow it to lose Knighton. I know nothing about Marks' recruitment.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We can take White any time we want. I get the feeling we'll have to blow it to lose Knighton. I know nothing about Marks' recruitment.

I hope we don't take White, no offense to him but the UF's of the CFB world shouldn't be signing kids like him. I'm perfectly fine w/ Knighton, hopefully he gets over 200lbs and can be a solid RB. He certainly has the ranking to become a star, but we know how that goes. He seems like he's ours if we want him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The visit list for the Alabama/LSU game is sickening. Not just the 2020 kids, but the 2021 and beyond. It's practically half the top 200. We had a great visitors list for the Auburn game, but this has to be the most star studded visit list I've ever seen.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I hope we don't take White, no offense to him but the UF's of the CFB world shouldn't be signing kids like him.

I get that. I like White better than a number of 4 star backs. But, the optics suck. Plus, we shouldn't have to search that hard to find a back. As others have posted, it means Knox stinks as a RB coach.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I get that. I like White better than a number of 4 star backs. But, the optics suck. Plus, we shouldn't have to search that hard to find a back. As others have posted, it means Knox stinks as a RB coach.

I would think we could find a RB at one of the Gainesville high schools as good as White.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The visit list for the Alabama/LSU game is sickening. Not just the 2020 kids, but the 2021 and beyond. It's practically half the top 200. We had a great visitors list for the Auburn game, but this has to be the most star studded visit list I've ever seen.
I mean... of course they have a sick list. But ours for Auburn was nothing to sneeze at. We’re at least making progress. Not where we want to be but kids are starting to take notice again.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

I can't really blame a recruit for wanting to go see that game in person.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So RB's

EJ Smith
Jaylan Knighton
Demarckus Bowman

Is the CB on 247 for Bowman trending towards us old news?

And secondly does anyone else think that Bowman may be overrated? I look at his highlights compared to those other two guys and I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely no expert and I'd take the kid in a second but the other guys just look like they're a bit more complete

Joquavious (sp?) Marks is visiting this week and seems he’s got a higher chance of being in the class right now than the others.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Someone on here the other day was claiming we are getting like 2-3 commits this weekend. I'm not holding my breath.

I believe that’s the rumor. Higdon said a few weeks back he’s got 4 edits made for kids that are supposed to commit soon. He targeted Vandy week but said that’s not 100% sure. 1 was Britt and he went earlier so down to 3.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So the dudes that didn't qualify last year didn't get in because of the admissions office not looking the other way? It seems like a certain number of 5* wouldn't even consider us because they'd have to study something other than Sports Information. Of the top 10 teams in recruiting only Michigan is near us and they have zero five starts slated this year.

Another thing of the 27 5* only 3 are from Florida anyway according to Rivals. Which to me smacks of BS or the talent in Florida just ain't that great anymore.

It's all smoke and mirrors, convince me otherwise.

Too many people get caught up in 5* when there are just too few. Look for top 100 kids as the goal and top 300 next. There’s just too fine of a line between 5 and high 4. Too much team and regional bias as well.

Also looking at the top 50 Florida kids (not IMG) is another good gauge of how we’re doing

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
Too many people get caught up in 5* when there are just too few. Look for top 100 kids as the goal and top 300 next. There’s just too fine of a line between 5 and high 4. Too much team and regional bias as well.

Also looking at the top 50 Florida kids (not IMG) is another good gauge of how we’re doing

Thanks and yes I was picking up on that - I am mainly coming to the realization that some of the negative posters in other sections of the forum have no clue and just repeat what they have heard from other clueless posters.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks and yes I was picking up on that - I am mainly coming to the realization that some of the negative posters in other sections of the forum have no clue and just repeat what they have heard from other clueless posters.

Not sure what you mean here. Take a look at what The Dude is talking about....and you'll see that some of these so-called "clueless posters" are spot on. Our class is currently 6th best in the SEC, with 4 other SEC teams and Miami & FSU within 10 spots behind us. If finishing 6th in our own conference is good enough for you, then I guess "clueless" could be the word used....but not for other posters.

We currently only have 2 top 100 commits.

UGA has 7, LSU 8, Alabama 8, A&M 4, Auburn 3, Miami 2, SC 2....and Clemson has 10.

Bottom line: we need to recruit better.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not sure what you mean here. Take a look at what The Dude is talking about....and you'll see that some of these so-called "clueless poster" are spot on. Our class is currently 6th best in the SEC, with 4 other SEC teams and Miami & FSU within 10 spots behind us. If finishing 6th in our own conference is good enough for you, then I guess "clueless" could be the word used....but not for other posters.

We currently only have 2 top 100 commits.

UGA has 7, LSU 8, Alabama 8, A&M 4, Auburn 3, Miami 2, SC 2....and Clemson has 10.

Bottom line: we need to recruit better.

This is correct. Any debate of stars not mattering or other schools playing by different rules on the elite kids, is nonsense. For close to two decades it was us getting those kids over uga, Clemson and Alabama.

Where I do take a little bit of a different path in my criticism is that I think the ramifications of the last decade are being felt and there is only so much that can be done overnight. College football moves quickly, and if you aren't constantly keeping up, you're obviously getting left behind. Go back 10-15 years and nearly every big name had at least two of these three names in their "hat selection": UF, Usc and tenn. Now, it's almost a surprise if there's even one of those teams. And it's pretty simple. None of these kids have seen those teams in the national championship hunt in a decade or more. That puts them at 5-10 years of age.

So yes facilities matter. Great recruiters matter. We need to fix all of that. But the brand issue is a major problem that isn't getting fixed overnight. Kids like Easley and Floyd were committing to UF from 6-7 states away, without even knowing anything about their new DC, or to what degree their current head coach was even going to be involved moving forward. That's brand. There are examples of this all over, from Knoxville to Tallahassee to Coral Gables to LA. All those guys are known as relentless recruiters and yet none are setting the world on fire at schools that were routinely Top 3-5 for years.

That's why I'm not so quick to call the season "over" and scoff at 10-2 and a NY6 bowl. It matters and it's part of the rebuild we're in. Not making excuses for DM and staff, and again, he has to fix the parts he controls. But it's the reality we have right now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's just assume they really are more talented in GA due to what you said. Isn't that just kind of like the TX vs Glades players. That the GA 5*s may be quickly surpassed by FL 4's. Just like when Henderson came in as a project and quickly became one of the best CB's in the country.

So that wouldn't necessarily make GA players better prospects, just more polished. Kirby is proving that every week.

could be

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we don't take White, no offense to him but the UF's of the CFB world shouldn't be signing kids like him. I'm perfectly fine w/ Knighton, hopefully he gets over 200lbs and can be a solid RB. He certainly has the ranking to become a star, but we know how that goes. He seems like he's ours if we want him.

Not comparing him to Cook, but DC was about 195 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.