2023 Investing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Waiting for the next press clippings...it also tends to ride with Uranium stocks which are due for a pullback. Like I said LTBR is simply a trade not a hold like the other major players in Uranium like URNM, UEC and Cameco...I bought at $3.95 a couple weeks ago so I'll add about 100 more shares when my next Tbill matures friday if it's still below my purchase price. I believe it's been as low as $3.30 this year and as high as $6.50.
LTBR Sitting at 3.30. Buying 1000 shares for sh!ts and gigs. Might owe you dinner. Selling at 5.

My favorite trade right now is a LiDar company, LAZR. They make laser cameras for self-driving vehicles and have partnerships with Volvo and Mercedes. Stock is ready to explode higher but had reduced forward guidance for 2024. I sold this stock eariler in the year at 10. Now at below 3. Likely to rise to 5 quickly. Trade idea: Buy below 3, sell at 5.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
LTBR Sitting at 3.30. Buying 1000 shares for sh!ts and gigs. Might owe you dinner. Selling at 5.

My favorite trade right now is a LiDar company, LAZR. They make laser cameras for self-driving vehicles and have partnerships with Volvo and Mercedes. Stock is ready to explode higher but had reduced forward guidance for 2024. I sold this stock eariler in the year at 10. Now at below 3. Likely to rise to 5 quickly. Trade idea: Buy below 3, sell at 5.

There are a lot of intriguing opportunities right now for sure. Uranium had been consolidating for about a month now but when the "next story" pops I think LTBR will have it's normal jump. I'm sitting happy having held on to Rolls Royce and UEC over the last year. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a longer term beaten down stock called Compass Minerals(CMP)it's diversified in agriculture and other items like road salt. It might take a while to get back to it normal trading range like Rolls Royce but in my eyes I think it's got ome serious legs over the next few years.

EDV is starting to come to life with falling rates and one of my other better buys earlier in the year, Crowdstrike, went bananas yesterday....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
@FireFoley , what is your take on the 10yr? Down 80 basis points in a few weeks. Looked at the 20yr AAA Muni and it's down over 100 basis points in 3 weeks? 6-12 month TBills falling fast too. I've made 3 buys on the 6mn in the last week. Is this it, or another fake out before higher again?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@FireFoley , what is your take on the 10yr? Down 80 basis points in a few weeks. Looked at the 20yr AAA Muni and it's down over 100 basis points in 3 weeks? 6-12 month TBills falling fast too. I've made 3 buys on the 6mn in the last week. Is this it, or another fake out before higher again?
My take is that I jokingly told you to buy all the 10 Yr. T_Notes you could when it hit 5%. It got there intraday one day and that has been it, LOL. I am kicking myself for not buy more 2-yrs but I guess having the option of holding to maturity or selling them at a profit are 2 decent options. My take is that everyone knows the FED is done and futures markets are pricing in multiple cuts next year. I personally do not know where the 10 yr, belongs but I think it has come too far too fast sans an imminent economic collapse. I am skewing to shorting it here as I think the size of the auctions (treasury needs money) along with the FED continuing QT will put a lid on how low long rates can go. But the beauty of this is there are ANAL-ysts who think we are headed even lower in rates and other ANAL-ysts that think the 10 yr could go back to 5+%, so we finally have differing opinions. Mine has not changed. I was quite comfy in hiding is short duration at 5.25-5.5 and bout a decent amount of 2's at 5+. Should have bought 10's.. If one thinks that rates are going to stay here or even go lower, I would look at some Preferrred shares. I know some are trading below par and carry yields higher than treasurys. Most preferreds are issued by banks but I know you are aware of that. :fistbump:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Fuching kid hasnt bought anything in 18 months. Buys CLSK on Monday is already up 28%.
You douchebag. She is the resident expert and now you are going to pull a Tokyo Joe on us (Look him up if you do not know the story). Up big on a stock, then tout it so all us pikers can rush in, and she will be the one selling her shares to us and ringing the register!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My take is that I jokingly told you to buy all the 10 Yr. T_Notes you could when it hit 5%. It got there intraday one day and that has been it, LOL. I am kicking myself for not buy more 2-yrs but I guess having the option of holding to maturity or selling them at a profit are 2 decent options. My take is that everyone knows the FED is done and futures markets are pricing in multiple cuts next year. I personally do not know where the 10 yr, belongs but I think it has come too far too fast sans an imminent economic collapse. I am skewing to shorting it here as I think the size of the auctions (treasury needs money) along with the FED continuing QT will put a lid on how low long rates can go. But the beauty of this is there are ANAL-ysts who think we are headed even lower in rates and other ANAL-ysts that think the 10 yr could go back to 5+%, so we finally have differing opinions. Mine has not changed. I was quite comfy in hiding is short duration at 5.25-5.5 and bout a decent amount of 2's at 5+. Should have bought 10's.. If one thinks that rates are going to stay here or even go lower, I would look at some Preferrred shares. I know some are trading below par and carry yields higher than treasurys. Most preferreds are issued by banks but I know you are aware of that. :fistbump:
So much differing data and opinions. Both sides of the argument make sense....Recent new home data and consumer debt is saying we almost HAVE to go lower(were seeing it at work big time.....the term lis pendens is showing up more and more on our title searches)and the credit accounts payoffs are YUGE....BUT that continuing QT and treasury issuance makes a strong argument also.

Personally I think mid January is gonna see a massive backslide in stocks....I'm keeping the better half of my bundle in the short term even if they drop below 5.0%

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
PenFed (which is where I have most of my CDs) drops to 4.6% for a 2-year, 4.3% for a 3-year, and 4% for a 4 & 5 year. Is there any value in buying a 4 or 5 year? The 15 & 18 month are at 5.35%, 1 year at 5.25% (I said in another post - it's not worth it to me to move money around/open a new account w/ a new bank to get an extra .1% or .2%.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
CVM had a rough week last week, down 20% or so.....up 35% today to $2.80.

LTBR had a rough week too - down 15% or so, up 5% today to $3.52.
LTBR that’s the fusion company, right? I haven't researched it much. Are you long the stock?

Good news today on CVM.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
PenFed (which is where I have most of my CDs) drops to 4.6% for a 2-year, 4.3% for a 3-year, and 4% for a 4 & 5 year. Is there any value in buying a 4 or 5 year? The 15 & 18 month are at 5.35%, 1 year at 5.25% (I said in another post - it's not worth it to me to move money around/open a new account w/ a new bank to get an extra .1% or .2%.
I do not move money around either for less than 50 basis points on short duration paper either. As far as value in the 3-7 year paper, I would say yes if you believe that rates have completely peaked and will be substantially lower at the end of that time period. Also it keeps you from the reinvestment risk when your short term holdings mature especially if rates continue to drop. The play was clearly to buy 10 year Treasurys the one and only day it pierced 5%. I did buy a decent amount of 2 years at 5+% but not enough in hindsight I have shorted 10 years recently and am down a bit but willing to give it some room given that it has moved so drastically so fast. With the amount of paper the Treasury will have to auction if it does not stabilize the long end of the market, it will tell me that severe slowing is on the way. I found value recently for me in some lower investment grade rated 5 year notes yielding 6.3%. The only problem is they are callable after the first year and any time after if the company so chooses but I was willing to take the risk,

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I do not move money around either for less than 50 basis points on short duration paper either. As far as value in the 3-7 year paper, I would say yes if you believe that rates have completely peaked and will be substantially lower at the end of that time period. Also it keeps you from the reinvestment risk when your short term holdings mature especially if rates continue to drop. The play was clearly to buy 10 year Treasurys the one and only day it pierced 5%. I did buy a decent amount of 2 years at 5+% but not enough in hindsight I have shorted 10 years recently and am down a bit but willing to give it some room given that it has moved so drastically so fast. With the amount of paper the Treasury will have to auction if it does not stabilize the long end of the market, it will tell me that severe slowing is on the way. I found value recently for me in some lower investment grade rated 5 year notes yielding 6.3%. The only problem is they are callable after the first year and any time after if the company so chooses but I was willing to take the risk,

Thanks for the input, I may buy a 5 year CD. I'm working this hurricane gig - putting in 80+ hours/week, so I'm making way more than I can spend, I've been laddering mostly 15 & 18 month CD's at 5.35%. I do have some money in Yieldstreet - which is a "accredited investor" platform, in their short-term notes that are earning over 6%. I'm happy with the platform, but reluctant to put too much in it after getting bit w/ the BlockFi thing.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for the input, I may buy a 5 year CD. I'm working this hurricane gig - putting in 80+ hours/week, so I'm making way more than I can spend, I've been laddering mostly 15 & 18 month CD's at 5.35%. I do have some money in Yieldstreet - which is a "accredited investor" platform, in their short-term notes that are earning over 6%. I'm happy with the platform, but reluctant to put too much in it after getting bit w/ the BlockFi thing.
You are one of the few who says you are making more than you can spend LOL. I know people who make mega MILS and still spend 2 bux for every 1 they make LOL. But good for you. I am like you and have been happy earning 5-6% in short term, 100% guaranteed paper. It has been more than enough to sustain me. Some like or need or want more so they prefer riskier stuff. To each his own. I have never dealt with YieldStreet, but if they only accept accredited investors, that means they do not accept piker's money. But I do not know if they are FDIC or not. None of my business, but I have even gone well above the FDIC limits in banks with no worry b/c the FED proved that they will honor any amount above the limit when SVB crashed.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You are one of the few who says you are making more than you can spend LOL. I know people who make mega MILS and still spend 2 bux for every 1 they make LOL. But good for you. I am like you and have been happy earning 5-6% in short term, 100% guaranteed paper. It has been more than enough to sustain me. Some like or need or want more so they prefer riskier stuff. To each his own. I have never dealt with YieldStreet, but if they only accept accredited investors, that means they do not accept piker's money. But I do not know if they are FDIC or not. None of my business, but I have even gone well above the FDIC limits in banks with no worry b/c the FED proved that they will honor any amount above the limit when SVB crashed.

This hurricane gig is ridiculous - great money, while it lasts (and I think I'll be on this gig at least through Feb). Hoping to stay on with the company for other projects - this is the third company I've done this type of work with, and it would be nice to stay on with this company (rather than job hopping). I may have found a niche with this safety-officer role. So, yes - making WAY, WAY more than I can spend. lol Gonna buy two e-bikes for Christmas, was thinking about a Rolex (I bought the wife a Rolex last Christmas w/ the 'asylum seekers' money from Chicago), but a men's Rolex is about 3x more than hers.

Anyhow, yes - I'm perfectly fine earning 5+%. I still have a ton in the market, but keeping some of it safe makes me feel comfortable if/when the market tanks.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This hurricane gig is ridiculous - great money, while it lasts (and I think I'll be on this gig at least through Feb). Hoping to stay on with the company for other projects - this is the third company I've done this type of work with, and it would be nice to stay on with this company (rather than job hopping). I may have found a niche with this safety-officer role. So, yes - making WAY, WAY more than I can spend. lol Gonna buy two e-bikes for Christmas, was thinking about a Rolex (I bought the wife a Rolex last Christmas w/ the 'asylum seekers' money from Chicago), but a men's Rolex is about 3x more than hers.

Anyhow, yes - I'm perfectly fine earning 5+%. I still have a ton in the market, but keeping some of it safe makes me feel comfortable if/when the market tanks.
Well I will bet that my $10 Timex or $50 Seiko tells the exact same time as the 4 or 5 figure Rolex you are going to buy, that is when they are working :fistbump:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well I will bet that my $10 Timex or $50 Seiko tells the exact same time as the 4 or 5 figure Rolex you are going to buy, that is when they are working :fistbump:
I'm wearing a 28 year old Seiko quartz at the moment, got it when I graduated from UF. I have a couple others and a nice Tag Heuer. I know it's not a great idea, but most Rolex's go up in value so I may do something 'stupid' with the money (Lord knows I've wasted money on a lot worse in my life!).

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Gonna buy two e-bikes for Christmas, was thinking about a Rolex (I bought the wife a Rolex last Christmas w/ the 'asylum seekers' money from Chicago), but a men's Rolex is about 3x more than hers.
My wife and I love our e-bikes. We've put thousands of miles on them. It's like having the wind at your back all the time, makes you feel like a kid again.

Here's one I recently bought. Mid-level inexpensive.

RadRover 6 Plus Electric Fat Tire Bike

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My wife and I love our e-bikes. We've put thousands of miles on them. It's like having the wind at your back all the time, makes you feel like a kid again.

Here's one I recently bought. Mid-level inexpensive.

RadRover 6 Plus Electric Fat Tire Bike

Nice bikes! I have a family hook-up with Trek, so that's what I'm getting (at about a 50% discount). Looking forward to using them, when I finally get a break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator