Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
That was one of my beefs.

You have a QB that can run and pass so it gives your offense a +1.

Then you have a receiver in motion that then stands there, twiddling his thumbs, so the +1 goes to zero.

:dunno:
I know. And you watch it and wonder WTH kind of sense it makes. Do something with it!!! Don’t you know rival staffs see that nonsense and scratch their heads, thinking “thanks”.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is pretty interesting on Mertz. He was really good in HS, pretty average at Wisc. He add stability to a room with little actual game experience.

:ox2:

Small glimpse into who and what Graham Mertz is. Don’t know the whole story about what happened to him later on, but I can’t say he looked inept. The family dynamic portrayed fits in with Billy’s player narratives regarding the recruiting class. Doubt anybody‘s going out on a limb and predicting All SEC, but I’ll venture to say he might be a cut above the early reviews when his name was first floated. Might not mean a thing, but he’s got a good story going in the clip and might have a little chip on his shoulder. Thanks for sharing @Joegator96

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's a numbers game. We'll need more Top 100 and more total players. We are #5 in the SEC With TX and OK soon to be here.

Good news is Napier gets quality players that qualify.

Bad news is we NEED more and
he has not shown it game time...yet.
Yep. Get the better players. Now have to get more of them.

Hopefully that mindset will not only change the quality of player and attract more that will want to be here.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Thoughts from Donkey:

Hopefully the young 260ish pound DEs we did sign can manage to find the weightroom, unlike Princely and the others. Just follow Pyburn, gentlemen. BTW, given the talent we signed at DE, I don't suspect Pyburn will be able to hold them off for long, but I can see him putting on 20-30 more pounds and moving inside.

Has anyone noticed almost all of the Trevon Grimes sized DEs/Edges are gone? The stench of Mullen and Gratham's flyweight DL is washed away.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Comparing the 2010 class (on paper) to the 2023 class (on paper)?

I hate how "journalists" use headlines.

2010 class:..............2023 class:
#1 in the country....# 12 in the country
28 commits ............20 commits
6 three stars............2 three stars
22 "blue chips"........18 "blue chips:
-----‐----------------------
3 DL # 1 at position plus ... 0 at #1
4 @ #2 position plus ..........0 at #2
11 @ Top 10 position .........4 @ Top 10

2010 had 18 in the Top 10 for thier positions.

2023 has 4.

2023 is a decent class (on paper). Solid Dline and WRs. Need LB, TE, more DL and OL.

Still is too small and has holes in it (that can/will be filled at NSD and with the portal).

But it should not be compared to 2010s class in any way, shape or form.

Ronald Powell, Dominique Easley, Shari's Floyed on the D line. Freaks.

Last edited:

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Comparing the 2010 class to this one? I hate how "journalists" use headlines.
2010 class: 2023 class:
#1 in the country # 12 in the country
28 commits 20 commits
6 three stars 2 three stars
22 "blue chips" 18 "blue chips:

3 DL # 1 at position plus 0 at #1
4 @ #2 position plus 0 at #2
11 @ Top 10 position 4 @ Top 10

That's 18 at Top 10 thier position in the 2010 class. 2023 has 4.

2023 is a decent class. Solid Dline and WRs.

Still is too small and has holes in it (that can/will be filled at NSD and with the portal).

Ronald Powell, Dominique Easley, Shari's Floyed on the D line.
Notice however that BN filled the holes we had to have . 2010 class was still riding high on our NC and Tebow. We had momentum. BN inherited an ugly stepsister with 12 kids. We still have some kids in the portal to sign thru mid next month and then I think it will all come together. I think he did a great job.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Comparing the 2010 class to this one? I hate how "journalists" use headlines.
2010 class: 2023 class:
#1 in the country # 12 in the country
28 commits 20 commits
6 three stars 2 three stars
22 "blue chips" 18 "blue chips:

3 DL # 1 at position plus 0 at #1
4 @ #2 position plus 0 at #2
11 @ Top 10 position 4 @ Top 10

That's 18 at Top 10 thier position in the 2010 class. 2023 has 4.

2023 is a decent class. Solid Dline and WRs.

Ronald Powell, Dominique Easley, Shari's Floyed on the D line.
It's hard to say exactly how the current signees are going to do. They're not on campus and they haven't played a down. It's all on paper and it's all projection. It's the same at every school and results are even more uncertain because of the portal.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Notice however that BN filled the holes we had to have . 2010 class was still riding high on our NC and Tebow. We had momentum. BN inherited an ugly stepsister with 12 kids. We still have some kids in the portal to sign thru mid next month and then I think it will all come together. I think he did a great job.
I wasn't commenting on the job BN did or didn't do on ESD.

I was commenting on the damned "blue chip" ratio bs the journalists use for clicks. I was trying to convey how stupid it is to compare those classes (on paper).

I'm not going to comment (or dissect) on BN and the staffs class until after NSD. There are still holes to fill.

We need @ltraz half-empty glass back to offset @tharber over flowing glass. :lol:

And @donkey ...
1671891839578.png

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to say exactly how the current signees are going to do. They're not on campus and they haven't played a down. It's all on paper and it's all projection. It's the same at every school and results are even more uncertain because of the portal.
I agree.

This class could, on the field, overall, do better than 2010s, all time best recruiting class (on paper) that UF has ever had. (I seriously doubt it but there were some busts and we did have Muschamp as a coach :lol:)

But on paper? It's not worth comparing. Why even bring it up? (journalists). 2010 >>> 2023

I wasn't trying to nail you for posting the link. I was nailing the "beat writers" for the headlines.

Last edited:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I agree.

This class could, on the field, overall, do better than 2010s, all time best recruiting class (on paper) that UF has ever had. (I seriously doubt it but their were some busts and we did have Muschamp as a coach :lol:)

But on paper? It's not worth comparing. Why even bring it up? (journalists).

I wasn't trying to nail you for posting the link. I was nailing the "beat writers" for the headlines.
This is a decent collage of articles from @on3 about Rashada, the class, the recruiting plan for Florida, his learning from first cycle. A bunch of short takes that actually help balance the pumpers and dumpers hanging out here. I really believe this man learns at a high intelligence rate, so I'm confident the product will continue to get better over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.