Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Napier finished ESD really strong last year, with a few unexpected commits. That’s what I’m still hopeful of.
Did he though? I thought there were more disappointments than pleasant surprises. Or was that February signing day?

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
The reality is, is if we miss on hall Samson and Walker, we're going to finish right where mullen was recruiting. Going 6-6 and a borderline top10 class isn't great any way you want to slice it.
On3 has us striking out on all our remaining targets. If true, we might as well have just skipped that huge recruiting weekend last week. Imagine all that work out in for nothing.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The reality is, is if we miss on hall Samson and Walker, we're going to finish right where mullen was recruiting. Going 6-6 and a borderline top10 class isn't great any way you want to slice it.
You're insane if you think this class is anything like a Mullen class.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It’s crazy how quickly the mood shift on this board. I’m not saying we’re gonna get all these kids, but you are acting like we’re not gonna get any.

Any predictions?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Napier finished ESD really strong last year, with a few unexpected commits. That’s what I’m still hopeful of.
We very well could. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we landed hall Samson and Platt.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullet‘s classes were smoke and mirrors. If you removed the non qualifiers, they were more like 15 to 20th ranked classes.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any predictions?
I don’t have any predictions for the kids that are declaring over the next couple days. I have no idea. What I do know is he needs to bring some portal kids in. Virtually none of those kids other than maybe John Walker will be able to start next year.

It’s not signing day at the end of the week. It’s only ESD. He’s got some time to get some more kids in.

I’d say we already have the best wide receiver class in America. And we’re probably top two, maybe top three, for DL class.

Are all of these players really good players? Of course, yes. And we’d like everyone of them if we could. But almost none of those kids will help us win next year.

We need a QB, some OL, a linebacker, an edge rusher, and about 3 DL ASAP from the portal.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t have any predictions for the kids that are declaring over the next couple days. I have no idea. What I do know is he needs to bring some portal kids in. Virtually none of those kids other than maybe John Walker will be able to start next year.

It’s not signing day at the end of the week. It’s only ESD. He’s got some time to get some more kids in.

I’d say we already have the best wide receiver class in America. And we’re probably top two, maybe top three, for DL class.

Are all of these players really good players? Of course, yes. And we’d like everyone of them if we could. But almost none of those kids will help us win next year.

We need a QB, some OL, a linebacker, an edge rusher, and about 3 DL ASAP from the portal.

Love our WR class. I think Wilson starts day 1 personally, dude is electric.

DL class is looking nice, just need more (or transfers). Definitely feels nice to have a staff who notices the need especially in this league.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Mario and Jimbo are good recruiters. But I don’t believe this has to do with skill as much as the NIL money being offered. It’s got to be hard for a 17 year old to walk away from the bag….or their parents.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Agree with Jay that one of the receivers at least will be a factor very early. Even with what we brought back this season, Douglas got into the rotation. Wilson and/or Maizell will play a lot. Same with the DL guys, DBs and probably the LBs(just out of desperation). And I think almost all will be upgrades and can help us win. Honestly, I’m not sure I wouldn’t play Freshman/Sophs almost exclusively next year. I don’t think there’s anything that indicates we are winning anything next year, so may as well roll into ‘24 set.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the mindset of counting on players eventually coming here was hurt over the summer, initially with the uga DB, then Rashada, then McClain. This class will be a very nice class, but Napier’s going to be judged against uga and Ala, and then to a lesser extent against fellow first year’s Kelly and Cristobal. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see a scenario where we’re not behind all of those guys. Progress, but unlike the on-field product, recruiting is something that a change on a dime. It has for us, but maybe not to the extent many had hoped. Still hopeful though that some of these names do drop for us.
Miami’s class is trash. The reason it’s higher rated is because it’s skewed with really high ranked players. But the meat of their class is hot garbage. Very MacElwainish. They have TEN 3* kids.

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017

You can take the short term money to go get underdeveloped in a dysfunctional program playing in empty stadiums against second rate competition… or you play against top competition in full stadiums with more tv exposure for a functional program with a strong track record developing your position (and still end up with lucrative nil opportunities). He stands to make a lot more money long term going to UF. I have a feeling this guy is smart enough to figure this one out.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Miami’s class is trash. The reason it’s higher rated is because it’s skewed with really high ranked players. But the meat of their class is taught garbage. Very MacElwainish. They have TEN 3* kids.

As I’ve said, I will trust you because you seem to have pretty good knowledge and balance on most of this. It’s crazy because they are saying the same thing about our class on their site. I don’t care about McCLain, but do wish we had Bryant and hope we get Samson.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As I’ve said, I will trust you because you seem to have pretty good knowledge and balance on most of this. It’s crazy because they are saying the same thing about our class on their site. I don’t care about McCLain, but do wish we had Bryant and hope we get Samson.
We definitely need to get as much talent
as we can. And you want as many kids that are on the higher end of the four-star ranking than on the lower end. That’s historically proven to be most effective at building a championship caliber team.

But I think it’s much more complicated than that now. Particularly over the last couple years. You need a great balance with the transfer portal.

Samson and Bryant would both be great gets but they both have huge caveats. Samson has played against some really sorry competition. So I think that’s a worry.

Bryant is a great at pass rush but suspect at run defense. Getting a transfer who’s been on campus for a year in S&C and had a year to acclimate to college AND still has 4 years of eligibility may be a bitter fit than just loading up on high school kids.

Or maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator