Beer reviews

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You like the gold better than the platinum? What’s the difference in flavor?
If you look it up, the regular, platinum, and imperia are all straight vodka with different levels of distilling and filtering (Russians are all about filtering, "cleaner" is better for shots... No hangover, you just wake up still nicely drunk). Here's a breakdown:.

Variants
  • Russian Standard Vodka
    • Original product launched in 1998
    • Raw ingredients: winter grains from Russian Steppes, glacial water from Lake Ladoga
    • Distilled four times and filtered four times through charcoal
  • Russian Standard Gold
    • Notes of vanilla, caramel, and spearmint
    • Added ingredient Siberian ginseng extract
  • Russian Standard Platinum
    • Higher-end product, launched 2001
    • Filtered additional two times through silver.
  • Imperia
    • The luxury brand, launched 2004
    • Distilled additional four times.
    • Filtered additional two times through quartz.
    • Luxury brand

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You like the gold better than the platinum? What’s the difference in flavor?
PS I only get the gold once in awhile, I usually just get the regular RS. It's all totally different mixing vs shooting. The sugar in mixes really fuks ya up... Maybe I should try chardonnay... :dunno:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PS I only get the gold once in awhile, I usually just get the regular RS. It's all totally different mixing vs shooting. The sugar in mixes really fuks ya up... Maybe I should try chardonnay... :dunno:
Nothing like a nice box of piss...errr Chardonnay. :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Nothing like a nice box of piss...errr Chardonnay. :lol:
And vodka is beer related because in Russian speaking countries, after a night of vodka, when we come out in the morning, watch the sun come up in silence and listen to roosters, everyone will just kind of look at each other until one person says to the rest, "Пива?"

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Founders unraveled

Got a growler of this last night and enjoyed it.
This one is for you Bart . Tropical fruit aroma , taste is weed and lemon . Followed by lingering hops .It’s the type of brew that would make law vomit , so you know it’s good. A- IMG_0430.JPG

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Founders unraveled

Got a growler of this last night and enjoyed it.
This one is for you Bart . Tropical fruit aroma , taste is weed and lemon . Followed by lingering hops .It’s the type of brew that would make law vomit , so you know it’s good. A-
Love Founders! However, all I can ever find around here is the All Day IPA, which is okay for a session ale, but that's fishin' beer and I'm not that hardy of a person to be doing that out here in the winter/spring. Occasionally I'll find the Centennial, but none of their specialty beers. Now what I'm currently drinking is a Space Dust. Give me that 8.2% after a hard days work hauling compost and mulch around the yard to make the wife and plants happy. Cheers!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_0439.JPG

Hoptropolis

Taste is as you would expect . Citrus hops and quality aftertaste . Some lemon and peach in there .
A little bitter at first taste but overall not bad. B-

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Love Founders! However, all I can ever find around here is the All Day IPA, which is okay for a session ale, but that's fishin' beer and I'm not that hardy of a person to be doing that out here in the winter/spring. Occasionally I'll find the Centennial, but none of their specialty beers. Now what I'm currently drinking is a Space Dust. Give me that 8.2% after a hard days work hauling compost and mulch around the yard to make the wife and plants happy. Cheers!

As has been pointed out, very underrated beer.

upload_2020-5-8_21-32-50.jpeg

Probably an obvious answer, but have you tried Guyaberra from Cigar City? If you like citra and more of a session beer, it’s pretty solid. At 5.5, it lets you know it’s there but isn’t over powering. It used to be a limited release, so I have a ton of it if you ever want to coast-swap.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Probably an obvious answer, but have you tried Guyaberra from Cigar City? If you like citra and more of a session beer, it’s pretty solid. At 5.5, it lets you know it’s there but isn’t over powering. It used to be a limited release, so I have a ton of it if you ever want to coast-swap.
I'm sorry, but what in the actual fuk is a "session beer"? If I ever told Russian speakers, "If you like citra and more of a session vodka..." I wouldn't get the next word outta my mouth before being head butted and kicked square in the vagina I would clearly have for saying something like that! ;)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm sorry, but what in the actual fuk is a "session beer"? If I ever told Russian speakers, "If you like citra and more of a session vodka..." I wouldn't get the next word outta my mouth before being head butted and kicked square in the vagina I would clearly have for saying something like that! ;)

I agree, and don’t particularly like the term. But it’s just what they’re called. Basically an IPA that is low enough ABV to drink 6+ at a tailgate/pool/beach type setting and still remember how you got home.

If I were to guess, I’d say there’s a chance some of those beers you stole from your kid’s fridge that time were possibly considered as such.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I agree, and don’t particularly like the term. But it’s just what they’re called. Basically an IPA that is low enough ABV to drink 6+ at a tailgate/pool/beach type setting and still remember how you got home.

If I were to guess, I’d say there’s a chance some of those beers you stole from your kid’s fridge that time were possibly considered as such.
You mean the fancy beer with a fish or something on the can that Chuck's dad bought for his upcoming 21st birthday because Chuck's dad couldn't be there? :lol: Honestly, I still feel bad about that... well, at least for not replacing it before anyone found out! ;)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You mean the fancy beer with a fish or something on the can that Chuck's dad bought for his upcoming 21st birthday because Chuck's dad couldn't be there? :lol: Honestly, I still feel bad about that... well, at least for not replacing it before anyone found out! ;)

:lol:

Didn’t remember the fish part. Must’ve been Bells Two Hearted. Excellent beer, but would fall into that not remembering things category if you go all in.

While on the subject, you know anything about this Deep Eddy vodka? My MIL is in town and has a tendency to buy things on a whim. Found two handles of it in my cabinet last night. Never even heard of it. I know you’re a RS guy, but thoughts on this?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
:lol:

Didn’t remember the fish part. Must’ve been Bells Two Hearted. Excellent beer, but would fall into that not remembering things category if you go all in.

While on the subject, you know anything about this Deep Eddy vodka? My MIL is in town and has a tendency to buy things on a whim. Found two handles of it in my cabinet last night. Never even heard of it. I know you’re a RS guy, but thoughts on this?
Um, honestly, you might want to ask your MIL about her whims... TWO handles?!?!!?!? :eek3: I'd check all your toilet tanks, because I've got $20 that says you find another bottle in one of them, and that will explain all her "powder breaks." :lol:

Honestly, much like beer, I'm not expert on anything other than what I drink, and for vodka domestically, I just stick with RS or Stoli. I don't think I've ever had a corn vodka... you'd have to ask a potato drinker like @bradgator2 ... at least this Deep Eddy stuff is made from grain!!!

Here's a review :lol: "Very raw taste. Weird essence. Not sure what it is, but it is not good." Probably means it actually tastes like VODKA!!!

EDIT: after reading a couple of reviews, I like that people are consistently saying "smooth with no after taste"... that's what I hate about Grey Goose, Kettle One, and others... to me, they have an ass after taste and require mixing... could never shoot it cold.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_0441.JPG

Clown shoes space cake

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen anything from this Massachusetts brewer. They were acquired a couple of years ago and distribution at least in the SE hasn’t been as frequent . They have an evil crawfish I really enjoy . Space Cake is even better. Price wise I’m not sure it’s quite worth the 12.99. I’d compare it to double two hearted . Good taste and packs a punch. But it’s not difficult to respect the 9 percent . Since it doesn’t go down so easy . Great beer to have on the back deck outdoors while firing up the grill. Solid A

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Clown shoes space cake

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen anything from this Massachusetts brewer. They were acquired a couple of years ago and distribution at least in the SE hasn’t been as frequent . They have an evil crawfish I really enjoy . Space Cake is even better. Price wise I’m not sure it’s quite worth the 12.99. I’d compare it to double two hearted . Good taste and packs a punch. But it’s not difficult to respect the 9 percent . Since it doesn’t go down so easy . Great beer to have on the back deck outdoors while firing up the grill. Solid A
Clown Shoes is awesome! Have had some really big beers from them before. Would love to have a Space Cake - we're grilling and camping in the backyard tonight.
Picked up a couple of these today - Breakside is probably our favorite brewery, with the Wanderlust as our favorite beer. This is there flagship Portland Breakfast IPA, but with 2X dry hop. The first one was really good!
EWvW-kNXQAIyUhw.jpg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Clown Shoes is awesome! Have had some really big beers from them before. Would love to have a Space Cake - we're grilling and camping in the backyard tonight.
Picked up a couple of these today - Breakside is probably our favorite brewery, with the Wanderlust as our favorite beer. This is there flagship Portland Breakfast IPA, but with 2X dry hop. The first one was really good!
EWvW-kNXQAIyUhw.jpg

They got some great stuff no doubt . Even a Mexican sombrero law donkey would enjoy .

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_0455.JPG
Monday night blind pirate - a blood orange IPA

After working in the yard for a couple of hours , and sweating like a pig . I decided to take down some water before going out on the back deck and enjoying a cold beer . Great idea, poor execution . Like Franks missing a wide open Van on a flea flicker , We all remember this one well so
I won’t state the game . It misses the mark by a mile and goes way overboard .

Simply put a good beer could be in here somewhere. It has a decent aroma and look. But the combo of overwhelming hops and and a full squeeze or Orange and Grapefruit hits you like an overwhelming Marciano uppercut . After knocking your ass to the canvas with this lingering dreadful taste, a glimmer of hope appears. Malt and caramel enter the aftertaste , but boy is it brief . You’re left with the disgusting original taste . Ever take a sip of Oj when you were a kid after brushing your teeth? This one is like that times ten. **** this beer. It doesn’t even deserve an F, it’s a 0.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Um, honestly, you might want to ask your MIL about her whims... TWO handles?!?!!?!? :eek3: I'd check all your toilet tanks, because I've got $20 that says you find another bottle in one of them, and that will explain all her "powder breaks." :lol:

Honestly, much like beer, I'm not expert on anything other than what I drink, and for vodka domestically, I just stick with RS or Stoli. I don't think I've ever had a corn vodka... you'd have to ask a potato drinker like @bradgator2 ... at least this Deep Eddy stuff is made from grain!!!

Here's a review :lol: "Very raw taste. Weird essence. Not sure what it is, but it is not good." Probably means it actually tastes like VODKA!!!

EDIT: after reading a couple of reviews, I like that people are consistently saying "smooth with no after taste"... that's what I hate about Grey Goose, Kettle One, and others... to me, they have an ass after taste and require mixing... could never shoot it cold.
I confess to not being much of a vodka drinker, but my FIL used to make vodka martinis using Chopin vodka. I know it not cheap, but other than that I have no idea if it’s “good” vodka or not. I will say the martinis were damn smooth.
He’s 95, so he doesn’t drink them anymore, but will still make them upon request should you be in Pasco Co. any time soon.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

Not a fan of Elysian at all. But I do like the Guyaberra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator