Can Franks hold on to the Number 1 QB spot?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sofla, one difference is that guys like Mayfield, Manziel, and to a lesser extent Tebow could back it up on the field. Franks can't.

Of course. He's obviously not done anything to warrant that mindset. My point was that even those guys had, or have, ceilings because a) it shows weakness, even a lack of genuine confidence on their part, and b) they almost incite defenders to want to beat them. You won't find a SB or NC winner in recent years who have a QB like that.

I don't put Tim in that category because he was ultra-passionate, but still respectful. His "call me" to the Lsu fans and the moment with the DB late in the NC game is about as brash as he could be, and both were in response to comments or actions. He was definitely rah-rah, but it was truly just getting his team up, not being a jerk to the opponents.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I really think the progress with Franks and the team will mirror last year. As the O line improves so will Franks. Frank's isn't good enough to carry this team with out above average blocking. As the line improves so will the run game, that will one up the pass game. I just hope we can get to that point before we go to Ky in three weeks.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Several of us were saying that. I’m not sure where the idea that their talent was way behind us came from. I think some folks convinced themselves that because this was an ACC team with a new QB and suspect OTs, we’d nuke them. Didn’t align with reality.
Before the game started I was feeling it would be a close game, but based on what I saw we should have nuked them. Their O line was sooooo bad, it should not have mattered if the talent was equal everywhere else. We remember how to tackle and not put the ball on the ground, it’s a far different final score - like 31 or 37 to 10.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Wasn’t responsible for 3 out of 4. Swain caused the INT when it would have been a TD for Cleveland. Partly responsible for the RZ drop but saw the easy touchdown which he tried to pull out for. The pitch to Davis was also a touchdown. The 4 min int was a terrible call and the oline got pushed into Franks as he was trying to throw away. Either way that’s completely on him.

The game isn’t even remotely as bad as it seemed live.
Everything I’ve read says it’s the QBs responsibility to secure the ball in an RPO. That’s on him. The first pick... he either underthrew Cleveland allowing Swain to jump and try and catch it or overthrew Swain. Either way, his fault. No need to discuss the 4th.

Don’t lipstick the pig. He had some good moments but no need to sugarcoat his poor decisions/execution. PFF Ian more qualified and has reviewed more film than either of us. He received the worst grade on the team - by far - for a reason.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Before the game started I was feeling it would be a close game, but based on what I saw we should have nuked them. Their O line was sooooo bad, it should not have mattered if the talent was equal everywhere else. We remember how to tackle and not put the ball on the ground, it’s a far different final score - like 31 or 37 to 10.
Another concern in the first few games is that defenses are generally ahead of offenses. Offenses tend to make more mistakes early in the season. That all was discussed and happened.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
There's another one called "Raw Team Talent" and it does the comparison by %, and it has UF 50.9% to 49.1% (I'll try to find a link).

Edit: just reading on TOS and the chart was an error (that was the UF/Tenn comparison), so yes....FSU is 6th in team talent. That is amazing!

Like a lot of Gator fans, I'm relieved we escaped with a win last Saturday. And like everyone else, I'm also disconcerted by the sloppiness of the execution and the maddeningly uneven effort. It was painful to watch at times, even for an opener against what I now know to be a solid opponent (minus the OL). But I can only imagine how it would feel to have as much talent as FSU apparently does, and still be so unbelievably shytty - all season long. I've hated FSU much too long to actually feel sorry for that team or their trashy fans. But I can only shake my head in wonder that it's even possible to totally squander THAT MUCH talent.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
After watching that SEC Inside and seeing Franks in the QB room, with the look on his face of zero clue and the gears between his ears scraping, it didn't instill any more confidence in him, to put it mildly....

I see Emory leaving if he isn't the starter by the end of the season, and I wouldn't blame him.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I try hard to like Franks but he's hard for me to like with his immaturity and showboating. Sometimes you wonder how the guy ever found his way out of Crawfordville. But there is one thing about him, and that's he never seems to lose his confidence. He's never gun shy. He can make the stupidest mistake, but he always bounces back. He's erratic; no question about that. But he's talented; no question about that either. He's confident. He plays with passion. He's his own guy. He is what he is. You can take him or leave him. He doesn't care. I like him and I don't like him at the same time.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I try hard to like Franks but he's hard for me to like with his immaturity and showboating. Sometimes you wonder how they guy ever found his way out of Crawfordville. But there is one thing about him, and that's he never seems to lose his confidence. He's never gun shy. He can make the stupidest mistake, but he always bounces back. He's erratic; no question about that. But he's talented; no question about that either. He's confident. He plays with passion. He's his own guy. He is what he is. You can take him or leave him. He doesn't care. I like him and I don't like him at the same time.
Bout sums it up just right.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That settles it ! ... Gotta get rid of Franks, he's making Gator fans hate this team in only one game !

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

Yes, our self-inflicted @#$# made UM look better than they are. As many have said on here, we don't have that first turnover and instead score, we're up 14 - 3, it's probably a blowout.

By the same token, I wonder if their crappy OL made our DL look better than it really is? Time will tell.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Yes, our self-inflicted @#$# made UM look better than they are. As many have said on here, we don't have that first turnover and instead score, we're up 14 - 3, it's probably a blowout.

By the same token, I wonder if their crappy OL made our DL look better than it really is? Time will tell.
I'm sure we'll find out soon enough when October and November roll around.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I try hard to like Franks but he's hard for me to like with his immaturity and showboating. Sometimes you wonder how they guy ever found his way out of Crawfordville. But there is one thing about him, and that's he never seems to lose his confidence. He's never gun shy. He can make the stupidest mistake, but he always bounces back. He's erratic; no question about that. But he's talented; no question about that either. He's confident. He plays with passion. He's his own guy. He is what he is. You can take him or leave him. He doesn't care. I like him and I don't like him at the same time.

Probably the single best assessment I’ve read about the kid.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Like a lot of Gator fans, I'm relieved we escaped with a win last Saturday. And like everyone else, I'm also disconcerted by the sloppiness of the execution and the maddeningly uneven effort. It was painful to watch at times, even for an opener against what I now know to be a solid opponent (minus the OL). But I can only imagine how it would feel to have as much talent as FSU apparently does, and still be so unbelievably shytty - all season long. I've hated FSU much too long to actually feel sorry for that team or their trashy fans. But I can only shake my head in wonder that it's even possible to totally squander THAT MUCH talent.

Good Lord that hit the nail on the head. All those recruiting classes, all that speed....and what? 12-13 past 2 years. It’s almost like that 59-20 ass whuppin they took in the playoffs that year destroyed their psyche and cut out their heart. They’ve never been the same.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Good Lord that hit the nail on the head. All those recruiting classes, all that speed....and what? 12-13 past 2 years. It’s almost like that 59-20 ass whuppin they took in the playoffs that year destroyed their psyche and cut out their heart. They’ve never been the same.
And aint it wonderful to see.........but back to Felipe..............

Feleipe Franks’ Mom Defends Son Against Online Bullies

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fan Buzz making college football moms relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator