Coaching quality: The Case against Kirby Smart (and for Dan Mullen)

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Well when all ur LBs are 215 it’s kind of hard not to get pushed all over the field

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's also another big reason we are :kiffin: against the run.
keep that in mind this year. As bad as Reese was at everything else, he was pretty good vs run between the tackles.

We are going to look soft as Rosie ODonnell vs the run this year.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
keep that in mind this year. As bad as Reese was at everything else, he was pretty good vs run between the tackles.

We are going to look soft as Rosie ODonnell vs the run this year.

We’re gonna look as soft as the d*** on a man having to see her nude

Jaguar45

Nov 16, 2017
You aren't getting different results any time soon. Probably year 4 of the next coach at the earliest.
I take it you’re incapable of answering direct questions. I disagree with you. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe you’re wrong. But I’ll tell you this, and I hope it registers just a little: I’d rather be optimistic and wrong than pessimistic and right.

Perhaps there’s some self delusion in that? At least I can keep some semblance of hope and faith in our team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’d rather be optimistic and wrong than pessimistic and right.
Yes Corch, we know.

Im a realist. I don't do delusional.

Actually I do on gameday but no other time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nah. You’re not a realist. You’re just predictable.
Smile and wave, boys.

10154054.jpg

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I figured you just chalked up the positives (moving the ball) to Meyer's influence and the negatives (poor red zone performance) to Mullen's influence.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Jaguar needs to post more. You've been around 3 years man, now you suddenly pipe up? Even if I don't agree with you I admire the way you've made your points in a well-written manner. Keep posting.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This back and forth banter cracks me up. I read this and laugh. I don’t consider myself a pumper, but for everyone who dumps on Mullen constantly leaves me questioning your loyalties to the program. Ask anyone outside of the 5 dumpers on this site about Mullen and they give you rave reviews. I haven’t spoken to a friend I know yet who doesn’t like Mullen or who believes he can’t succeed.

I appreciate calling out deficiencies. I’m big on pointing out when someone makes a mistake because that’s always an opportunity for someone to learn but holy cow, boys... There comes a point when your constant incessant rhetoric becomes bytching just to bytch. Who do you think listens to that? Who do you think cares? I certainly don’t care for it. And what’s your creative fix? Nothing. Crickets. More bytching I suppose...

There’s definite recruiting issues. I get it. Mullen hasn’t beaten UGA yet, I get that too. We have assistant coaching problems and I get that. Do I think we are the only ones who see it? I don’t believe in the ‘trust the coaches’ mantra and eventually if things get bad enough my faith will fade too. The thing is: Things aren’t bad at all. You think good results should happen at the push of a button without exercising any sort of tactical patience. Like we should be perfect constantly. It’s astounding, honestly.

I hope the dumpers on here can provide constructive criticism toward the programs staff or university in a manner that generates something positive. Offer solutions and ideas instead of uselessly wasting other people’s time by how unhappy you are. That would be refreshing.

Uh oh. Those 5 people that you mentioned have had nothing to do for months. You just gave them something.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I think Kirby built a lot of relationships while he was at Bama that allowed him to recruit; plus, he's a great recruiter and a great recruiter knows how to hire great recruiters.
I think Mullen is better with Xs and Os, and is the better coach insofar as getting the most from his players, but Mullen's weakness is recruiting and building a competent, championship-level staff.
At this point, it appears that the comparison is more of a "stale mate" in theory; but the reality is in winning, and ultimately that will be decided by the talent on the field.
And I don't want to hear about the Spurrier analogies; Spurrier was a genius and really didn't have to lift a finger to recruit, that was a different time and SOS ran a scheme that invited top talent in those days.
The game has changed, and the same level of talent that was flocking to us back then are now looking elsewhere--to programs that offer them an opportunity to compete for a championship and a free ride to the NFL.
Recruiting to UF is a much different game these days, things have changed so much--even since the Meyer era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator