Countdown to the Season Opener, Share your favorite Gator Moments

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Love it… in defense of fans today regarding how loud it was back then, it still gets that loud, plenty. You just can’t tell on TV any more due to upgrades to press box and microphones. I record games I go to (almost every home game) and you have no idea how many times I’ve said to my wife “you can’t tell how loud that was in person” when watching the recording on tv
Yes, I don’t know if the volume is sustained like it used to be, but it definitely still gets loud. Like when this happened:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yes, I don’t know if the volume is sustained like it used to be, but it definitely still gets loud. Like when this happened:

Yup, was at that game too. Pretty much every home game since 2016 when Son #1 was a freshman. Honestly, I’ve been pleasantly surprised over those years by the crowd noise after years (and to this day) of hearing how the crowd sucks. The real problem has been that there have just been far too many games where as a fan you give your all and the product on the field/coaching craps out by the third quarter or is so inconsistent in game that it’s tough to sustain the energy. Case in point, Utah last year. It was loud, it was a great game, but it was an INCREDIBLY frustrating game in person of high highs followed by deflating groans, then back again.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
My brother and my buddy have both said this was the loudest they ever heard the Swamp. I have other great memories, but since this is a rarely cited one, I figure I’ll throw it out there.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yup, was at that game too. Pretty much every home game since 2016 when Son #1 was a freshman. Honestly, I’ve been pleasantly surprised over those years by the crowd noise after years (and to this day) of hearing how the crowd sucks. The real problem has been that there have just been far too many games where as a fan you give your all and the product on the field/coaching craps out by the third quarter or is so inconsistent in game that it’s tough to sustain the energy. Case in point, Utah last year. It was loud, it was a great game, but it was an INCREDIBLY frustrating game in person of high highs followed by deflating groans, then back again.
All through the Spurrier era I never missed a home game. Throughout the ‘00s, I tried to make it to as many games as possible. Since 2010, I’ve only been to 1 or 2 games a year. Some of that is due simply to life changing, having different family activities/priorities, but I think it also has a lot to do with exactly what you described. It takes an emotional toll to get up for a game, only to be let down in the end.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
All through the Spurrier era I never missed a home game. Throughout the ‘00s, I tried to make it to as many games as possible. Since 2010, I’ve only been to 1 or 2 games a year. Some of that is due simply to life changing, having different family activities/priorities, but I think it also has a lot to do with exactly what you described. It takes an emotional toll to get up for a game, only to be let down in the end.
Yup, during those years, there would be what I’m describing in one or two games per season… for the last 10 years, there is frustration in every game, usually repeatedly.

That said, as always, I’m optimistic as fuk for this year!!! We just need Mertz to be our Joe Flacco!!! :lol:

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Took my two son’s to the rain game as well… it was awesome… that rain was crazy. Funniest part was towards end of game, Tebow was sitting alone on the bench and this one drunk, tired/dejected FSU fan kept yelling in a slow, moaning voice, “Tebow has no friends… Tebow has no friends…” we still say it to each other randomly. Other thing about that game was them cheering loudly when Percy went down.
You sure it wasn’t “Here’s to my friends!?”

1689686691824.png

Seriously, what a great game to watch with your kids! Something they’ll never forget, nor you.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Love it… in defense of fans today regarding how loud it was back then, it still gets that loud, plenty. You just can’t tell on TV any more due to upgrades to press box and microphones. I record games I go to (almost every home game) and you have no idea how many times I’ve said to my wife “you can’t tell how loud that was in person” when watching the recording on tv
Too illustrate your point here's two different videos of the same play: Lamical Perines' 88yd TD against the Barn in 2019. The first is how it sounded on TV, the second more like I remember it live. The moment he broke the second tackle was insanely loud. The other thing I love about this particular play is from my vantage point in the south end zone, it felt like he was running right at me!

Edit: Sorry, to watch the first video you'll have to click on "Watch on Youtube."

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Too illustrate your point here's two different videos of the same play: Lamical Perines' 88yd TD against the Barn in 2019. The first is how it sounded on TV, the second more like I remember it live. The moment he broke the second tackle was insanely loud. The other thing I love about this particular play is from my vantage point in the south end zone, it felt like he was running right at me!

Edit: Sorry, to watch the first video you'll have to click on "Watch on Youtube."

Yep... was going to mention that one specifically. We were sitting on the southeast end next to visitors section, up high enough to watch the whole thing unfold. I'll never forget the initial sound of the crowd when he first bounced out, then the absolute wall of sound that happened when he broke free. That lady's video from twitter is one of the best sound clips of all time, any game, any team.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another great moment I had the pleasure of seeing in person…

As loud as the Swamp is, you could hear the hit ring out like a cannon shot. That was a football play!

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My brother and my buddy have both said this was the loudest they ever heard the Swamp. I have other great memories, but since this is a rarely cited one, I figure I’ll throw it out there.

I was at that game and it was insanely loud. I'm pretty sure the, "It's Great! To be! A Florida Gator!" chant as we exited hovered over the stadium the entire following week.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
The best Gator moment occurred four years after I left tally. After catching flack for years from noles, I got a chance to sit among them in 1996 at the Sugar Bowl. The groans and cursing at bowden from their fans made for a monumental and memorable trip. On the way home, I picked up the Times Picayune, the tally mullet wrapper, the Sun and the Tampa Tribune. Still have those papers ads and all.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was a very fun game to attend, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the 10:08 mark in person. There were probably more Gator fans in the stadium than ut fans by the end of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.