Dan Mullen is...

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
You're over reacting a LOT. It's still September. Even the worst UF coaches are 5-0 or 4-1 after September.

That being said, it was a good month.

Sometimes those that turn out to be the BEST had less than a 5-0 or 4-1 start. In 1992 SOS started out with back-to-back losses at Tennessee and Miss State. Neither were close (14-31 and 6-30). Both were ranked. He was 2-2. Only two of those games were in September, but he turned out okay. I guess.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Was there anyone on this board that was openly excited about the hire? How many had DM as their first choice? I was riding home from Gainesville with a truckload when we heard the announcement on the radio. I yelled out “No effing way!” I was literally pissed off.

But since the day he has arrived I have been impressed in what he has done. The team’s work ethic, culture, camaraderie, buy in. His staff is coaching up the boys. I’m fully on board now. Plus I discovered I genuinely like this guy and how he handles himself in pressers. He really wants to be here. I’m all in no matter what happens the rest of the way.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sometimes those that turn out to be the BEST had less than a 5-0 or 4-1 start. In 1992 SOS started out with back-to-back losses at Tennessee and Miss State. Neither were close (14-31 and 6-30). Both were ranked. He was 2-2. Only two of those games were in September, but he turned out okay. I guess.

Bad analogy. Spurrier was a proven coach w/ an ACC and SEC title (should have been two SEC titles). No one was panicking. We started 2 true freshman OT's in 1992.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I love that this got a facepalm as though @Itraz ‘s position is now nonsense. I’m psyched we won, and it shows hope, but if a guy doesn’t drop a pretty easy TD, how do we feel. Loved the win. Not time to overreact though. Plus, LSU is not great. We could win this week and still not be in a much different place.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tennessee's decisionmaking process actually has little to do with ours. What happened with Schiano is a good example, the inmates running the asylum.

I know you felt we should have vetted 10 or 15 guys, and maybe you're right, but I doubt it. Stricklin obviously knows this guy and probably felt he was 1a or 1b until the Kelly card presented itself. After Frost said no, he had to pounce or risk a sizeable droppoff. Yes, sizeable.

You're going to disagree with that assessment, but Mullen has paid his dues. He knows Florida. Knows the SEC. He's had a No. 1-ranked team. He might not be the sexiest candidate, but he deserved a serious look.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I love that this got a facepalm as though @Itraz ‘s position is now nonsense. I’m psyched we won, and it shows hope, but if a guy doesn’t drop a pretty easy TD, how do we feel. Loved the win. Not time to overreact though. Plus, LSU is not great. We could win this week and still not be in a much different place.
So what's it going to take? Beating Bama in the SECCG? :rolleyes2:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Probably not. Have to beat Urbs in the National title game.
No, if that happened we would hear that it was a down year for OSU and beating them isn't that big of an accomplishment.

Some of us are so beaten down we can't even entertain the possibility that we could have a real team again.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

We are showing progress, and we all see it. I agree with many here that better play game to game is the best indicator of the coaching this year over the win-loss record. I also think our prior two coaches lose that game. So, in some ways we are seeing it starting, but that we can’t judge “improvement over the season” as a done deal only 1/3 of the way into the season. LSU just isn’t good enough to be definitive either. How we compete against LSU, UGA, Missouri and FSU will collectively be most telling. Otherwise, I can show you plenty of Mac and musdawg starts that indicated progress (and did not include a loss to Kentucky)

As for what it will truly take to be great again and Mullen to succeed at the level we want: Recruiting.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We are showing progress, and we all see it. I agree with many here that better play game to game is the best indicator of the coaching this year over the win-loss record. I also think our prior two coaches lose that game. So, in some ways we are seeing it starting, but that we can’t judge “improvement over the season” as a done deal only 1/3 of the way into the season. LSU just isn’t good enough to be definitive either. How we compete against LSU, UGA, Missouri and FSU will collectively be most telling. Otherwise, I can show you plenty of Mac and musdawg starts that indicated progress (and did not include a loss to Kentucky)

As for what it will truly take to be great again and Mullen to succeed at the level we want: Recruiting.
Yeesh. There's no way you can possibly just enjoy the season with this mindset. That's all I'm trying to do is enjoy the season.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeesh. There's no way you can possibly just enjoy the season with this mindset. That's all I'm trying to do is enjoy the season.
Mullen is making that possible right now. Our boys are COMPETING for a change. I cheered more last night than I have in years.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is making that possible right now. Our boys are COMPETING for a change. I cheered more last night than I have in years.
Agreed. I was yelling at the TV, which is something I don't think I've done since 2014 or so. On that final play, I was off the couch and pacing around, and pumped my fist and danced after the sack. Feels great to be a fan again!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

So you'll wait until his career is over until you have an opinion? Yeah maybe this isn't the place for you.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to think with what's been accomplished with player development that the season doesn't end with a more positive feeling about trajectory. Even if Mullen can't sell down blankets to the Eskimos, you have to think we benefit from the buzz over where we're headed.

I for one think we'll finish strong in recruiting for the simple reason that we finally have a message to sell.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Apparently because there ain’t too many teams between LSU and Bama. I would hope that beating LSU would bring some credibility. They’re ranked like #6 in the nation. Seems that all the teams that were supposed to pound us suddenly become cub scouts when they play us. And our worst roster since 1979 suddenly is considered very talented and we’re just beating cupcakes.

I’ll give them Tennessee but MSU and LSU were going to pound us until game week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.