Dinner time

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My apologies for the photo of a partially eaten meal.
Don’t sweat it. Southern Living does that all the time. However, your photo didn’t have the rusty knife and fork and the table wasn’t an old workbench :)

Looked and sounded great btw.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Don’t sweat it. Southern Living does that all the time. However, your photo didn’t have the rusty knife and fork and the table wasn’t an old workbench :)

Looked and sounded great btw.
It was. One to go on repeat for sure.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Grilled bacon wrapped scallops w/ mushroom risotto

That’s a home run right there.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
A recipe. I’m not yet at a level where I can invent stuff. (I have sister who makes the best linguine with clam sauce I’ve ever had, but it’s slightly different every time because she makes it up as she goes along - I’m very envious!)
Once I am comfortable with a recipe, I’ll experiment with changes. This particular one is a Food and Wine recipe, so you should be able to find it on line. If not let me know and I’ll PM a picture of the recipe.

finally got around to looking up this recipe for dinner but I don't have mirin. Usually have most "normal" ingredients on hand. Oh well, I'll settle on fried shrimp and grouper for dinner and try this recipe another time.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
finally got around to looking up this recipe for dinner but I don't have mirin. Usually have most "normal" ingredients on hand. Oh well, I'll settle on fried shrimp and grouper for dinner and try this recipe another time.
That's a helluva backup meal!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If you have dry sherry or Marsala, you can sub it for mirin in a pinch. One warning about that recipe: they claim it will feed four. Four munchkins or oompa loompas maybe, but not four humans with any kind of appetites. Granted I ate more than I should have, but we polished it off with no leftovers.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
@Gator By Marriage Good to know about the substitutes. I’ll try it another time.

This isn’t my “A game dinner” but it’s just Monday. Plenty of time to improve this week. Shrimp and grouper. We still have gallons of blueberries in the freezer from our bush so I made a cobbler.

C2136FBE-210B-4ECE-8EB9-05D912E78ED3.jpeg BA7A84EB-7097-4C54-87D3-3A26896F414F.jpeg

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
IMG_0257.JPG

I was moving things around in the freezer to make room a deer I harvested when I noticed a Florida delicacy that was overlooked for several months. So I fried the package up tonight, softshell turtle. Hats off to Cross Creek Cooter!

Last edited:

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
@Gator By Marriage Good to know about the substitutes. I’ll try it another time.

This isn’t my “A game dinner” but it’s just Monday. Plenty of time to improve this week. Shrimp and grouper. We still have gallons of blueberries in the freezer from our bush so I made a cobbler.

Fried foods and a cobbler?

I'm on my way. Looks fantastic CD.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
To die for
Ingredients
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion , sliced
1 yellow bell pepper , sliced
1 orange bell pepper , sliced
1 red bell pepper , sliced
4 cloves garlic , finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
1 cup white wine
1 cup bottled or frozen clam juice
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in juice
1 bay leaf
1 lime , juiced, plus 2 limes, quartered
2 pounds Chilean sea bass , cut into 2-inch pieces
1 pound medium shrimp , peeled
1 cup whole cilantro leaves , chopped
4 scallions , chopped
Corn or flour tortillas , warmed
Directions
In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over a medium-high flame. Sauté the onions until they begin turning brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Toss in the bell peppers and cook an additional 3 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeño, wine, clam juice, tomatoes, bay leaf, and lime juice (1/4 cup). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the sea bass and the shrimp and continue cooking 5 minutes, until the shrimp are opaque. Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf, and stir in the cilantro and scallions. Serve with lime wedges and tortillas.
I used Black Sea bass and added a pound of scallops to this recipe, very,very good

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator