Gators entering draft; Cleveland, Jefferson, Perine, Zuniga staying

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'll shed no tears over Joseph. If he even gets drafted it'll be really late. He's horiffic in pass coverage and honestly, not much better at the run. Only thing he does well is blitz the QB. The amount of busted plays that went for huge yardage as a direct result of him being out of position, taking bad angles, or just grossly over running the play were too numerous to count. Wish him the best but won't miss him at all.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Joseph make that wonderful hit on the lsu QB? And I don't think it was his only one.
try counting how many epic fails he had. The reason he had a couple of big hits is bc every single play he tried to make, he tried turning into a sports center highlight, except the majority ended up being more like the "cmon man edition." The fsu game would have been 41-7 if not for Joseph's horrific sack attempt on frenchy and that's just 1 play.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I think Joseph should probably come back a year because his game definitely has significant flaws (especially in pass protection) and with the NFL being a passing league and LBers needing more coverage skills than ever: he won't be a high draft pick on that basis alone; and another year could easily see him get into the first 1-3 rounds if he shows improvement.

The talent is there and he's shown the ability to dominate games at times (we don't win the LSU game this year without his 14 tackles, 2 sacks, and 3.5 TFLs)...but the flaws make me question the decision a bit. Best of luck to him--but sincerely hope he's doing the right thing.

All of the other Gators who've declared make sense and while I'd selfishly like them to stay and make a run at the SEC East next year: I understand why they'd want to aim for the NFL payday with many projected to go in the first rounds and Scarlett probably needing to cash in while he can.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
That stinks for him if true. I just always think of the monster year Gilly has in 2012 and slipped and he was a 5th round pick. I would put Scarlet between there and the 7th right now. He improved his vision last half of the season so who knows.

Good recollection on Gilly.
He ended up doing ok - actually pretty well.
Scarlett may not be drafted but...
Philip Lindsay with the Broncos was undrafted yet:

On December 18, 2018 Lindsay was voted to his first Pro Bowl making him the first undrafted offensive rookie in NFL history to be voted to a Pro Bowl.

Lindsay is the third undrafted rookie with 1,000 yards in a season, joining Dominic Rhodes (1,104 in 2001) and LeGarrette Blount (1,007 in 2010).

So - there’s hope for Scarlett if he can make a roster.
Lots of NFL RBs got injured this year so teams are always on the lookout.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I agree that Joseph is probably the least likely to be drafted early. In theory, he should stay. But honestly, I’m not sure how much he improves his stock at this point. He’s undersized and doesn’t have the best instincts in pass coverage. I don’t know that those flaws get any better if he stays one more year. If anything, he could have a bad Sr season, or worse, get passed up by a younger player. He had numerous bad plays this year, but at least had some highlights as well to offset them. Take a few of those away and he may be in even worse shape at this point next year. And even his pass rush ability could be hindered if teams don’t have Polite/Zuniga type harassment to contend with, opening things up for the blitzers.

So as much as I do think he’s gambling, it may be the best scenario for him.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wish them all the best. Not sure if Joseph is making a good decision, but w/e... Kids don't listen so it don't do any good to tell them. He could be a really good special teams player maybe at the next level.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So as much as I do think he’s gambling, it may be the best scenario for him.
I think there is a significant chance he is at the tailgate parties next fall. There is a decent chance he loses his job next year, but even splitting time or playing STs beats drinking beer and wishing he had one more year to hone his skills.

Maybe he has a monster combine and some how lands a job. Is he really any worse in coverage than Jalen Watkins? Can't be.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Just to offer a counter view from all the "experts" here, this site:

WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Mock Draft: Second Round

has Joseph going in the 2nd round the 59th pick. That site was ranked 2nd in first round accuracy for last years draft:

Who had the Most Accurate NFL Mock Draft in 2018?

Clearly picks outside the 1st round have more variability.

Just to see what such a rating means, last year the 59th pick got just under $2.5 milllion in guaranteed money:

Derrius Guice Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
Just to offer a counter view from all the "experts" here, this site:

WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Mock Draft: Second Round

has Joseph going in the 2nd round the 59th pick. That site was ranked 2nd in first round accuracy for last years draft:

Who had the Most Accurate NFL Mock Draft in 2018?

Clearly picks outside the 1st round have more variability.

Just to see what such a rating means, last year the 59th pick got just under $2.5 milllion in guaranteed money:

Derrius Guice Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

The same site ranks him 5th among OLBs, and projects him to run a 4.8 40.

I’m not sure how Walter Football ranks him that high, while expecting only a 4.8 40 out of a 227 lbs 6’1’’ OLB. If he runs a 4.8 40 at the combine and only measures at 6’1’’ and 227 lbs, I’m not sure he gets drafted.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The same site ranks him 5th among OLBs, and projects him to run a 4.8 40.

I’m not sure how Walter Football ranks him that high, while expecting only a 4.8 40 out of a 227 lbs 6’1’’ OLB. If he runs a 4.8 40 at the combine and only measures at 6’1’’ and 227 lbs, I’m not sure he gets drafted.

Yeah, I looked around after that and found a site with a two round draft that does not mention him and another site with a four round draft that has him going #45. So it is not like I cherry picked the mock draft that had him the highest rated.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember all the OLmen we have had get drafted... there are a number of teams that don't
No, not all. Who was that transfer tub of lard that left early to go to the arena league? (EDIT: Mary Tyler Moore)

Sometimes teams draft on size or speed, but Joseph has neither. In fact, I noticed in pics Chauncey and Sean are the same (ish) size when they are standing side by side.

Last edited:

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
No, not all. Who was that transfer tub of lard that left early to go to the arena league?

Sometimes teams draft on size or speed, but Joseph has neither. In fact, I noticed in pics Chauncey and Sean are the same (ish) size when they are standing side by side.

Jason Licht loves him some OLBs with safety size and DL speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.