Gator Basketball Gators lose at home to bad South Carolina team to start SEC play

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
One can say that UF isn't a lustrous basketball school. But is Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn? All these teams are excelling this season. How about FSU's coach?-- does UF deserve a basketball coach as effective as FSU's coach. Is anyone saying that those schools are more attractive to basketball players than UF? Even if this flopped season is one time and White is a good coach, does UF deserve a better coach?

Yes, yes and yes. You are correct on all counts. My point is quite simple: I don’t know if White is elite or not. My sample size isn’t big enough yet. And I think his upperclassmen suck.

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Billy was 16-17 his last year before heading to OKC. Does that play any role here?
Yes, it was a rebuild to some extent, so you have to take that into account. But White hasn't shown me anything to feel confident he is up to the job. I am not calling for him to be fired, I just don't have confidence in him mainly due to his inability to develop players or a functional offense. I have lost interest in the program which is a bummer.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You are an engineer as well. Show your work. Tell us the positive attributes of our players. I’m happy to change my opinion if I find you opinion logical.
almost every player on the roster has had less time at Florida than white, yet you imply that you have enough on them to determine they aren't good enough, even challenging me to provide evidence to dissuade your belief.

At the same time, you state you don't have enough of a sample size to make a determination on white and when ppl criticize him, you go out of your way to defend whether you're interested in admitting it or not.

Me providing "evidence" to anything of the contrary is a waste of time. Your bias is on full display. Once again, I realize engaging you was a complete waste of time. You can have the last word. I'm done.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I’ll take a shot at defending our players. I’ve said several times in this thread already that the young guys are showing promise. Andrew, Locke and Johnson have shown they belong. Ballard has come a long way as a Soph. Remember when this board was saying he needed to transfer? Okaru has also played well at times. Keep developing these guys and bring in that great class next year and we have the makings of a solid team next year.

Rather than dumping on Hayes, Stone and Allen I’m defending them. They are not elite players and cannot meet our expectations. They would be perfect as role players on a good team. Each brings something to the table but none are consistent scorers.

We need a true big man and some slashers. We cannot continue to live and die by the three ball. White has to develop continuity in the half court offense. That’s on him.

The jury is still out for me whether White himself will develop into an elite coach. But he is most likely here for the next two seasons minimum. I can’t see any scenario other than a scandal that will accelerate that.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
I’ll take a shot at defending our players. I’ve said several times in this thread already that the young guys are showing promise. Andrew, Locke and Johnson have shown they belong. Ballard has come a long way as a Soph. Remember when this board was saying he needed to transfer? Okaru has also played well at times. Keep developing these guys and bring in that great class next year and we have the makings of a solid team next year.

Rather than dumping on Hayes, Stone and Allen I’m defending them. They are not elite players and cannot meet our expectations. They would be perfect as role players on a good team. Each brings something to the table but none are consistent scorers.

We need a true big man and some slashers. We cannot continue to live and die by the three ball. White has to develop continuity in the half court offense. That’s on him.

The jury is still out for me whether White himself will develop into an elite coach. But he is most likely here for the next two seasons minimum. I can’t see any scenario other than a scandal that will accelerate that.

I’m not sure my posts are as clear as yours, you and I are saying the same thing.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How many years do you all need to determine if a coach is elite or not? Just curious. Is it 6 years? 8 years? 12 years?

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
How many years do you all need to determine if a coach is elite or not? Just curious. Is it 6 years? 8 years? 12 years?

With his promising incoming class, a couple more. But I also realize I have no say in the matter and I’m just another brick in the wall. It’s all up to Strickland and Fuchs. And they aren’t getting rid of a White anytime soon. I try and look at the bright side when stuff is beyond my control.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With his promising incoming class, a couple more. But I also realize I have no say in the matter and I’m just another brick in the wall. It’s all up to Strickland and Fuchs. And they aren’t getting rid of a White anytime soon. I try and look at the bright side when stuff is beyond my control.
So 6 years? It takes 6 years to determine if a coach is elite in your mind? 6 years to determine “ELITE” status? Isn’t that kind of an oxymoron?

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
So 6 years? It takes 6 years to determine if a coach is elite in your mind? 6 years to determine “ELITE” status? Isn’t that kind of an oxymoron?

His Elite 8 appearance impressed me. I’d like to see what White can do with some real talent over the next couple of years and if he can sustain the recruiting.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
His Elite 8 appearance impressed me. I’d like to see what White can do with some real talent over the next couple of years and if he can sustain the recruiting.
I guess Butter’s 2 SEC East title games impressed you as well. Enough said.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
No doubt about it. If Eggy wasn't hurt we'd been in the final 4. D was elite that year and that's how we got far, but we needrd that interior defender vs the cocks. Offense wasn't great, and that has been the issue with White's teams here so far. It's the same thing every year.

I am not a fan of the modern dribble drive offense. It drives me nuts. There are coaches who don't run it. Chris Beard at T Tech is a very good coach. Watching us play them last year and the offensive sets they ran was really impressive. We were in the game, because once again our D was very good last year.

D will keep you in games, but you gotta score points to win.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. Was obvious the East sucked.

Pumpers got it tough around here...
And White went to Elite 8 with Billy’s recruits, right? I mean we could go on and on and on.

If he’s not elite now, it’s not coming ove time. There’s a reason it’s called “Elite”.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
And White went to Elite 8 with Billy’s recruits, right? I mean we could go on and on and on.

If he’s not elite now, it’s not coming ove time. There’s a reason it’s called “Elite”.

Ok. Fair enough. As my old boss used to say, “Bring me solutions, not problems”. What’s your plan? Hire another young promising coach like White? Lure away a great coach from a blue blood? Other options?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

I don’t think he is elite. But I think he is growing. Look at his improvement on the trail for example and I think he is young enough to improve.

But none of that is my point. Mine is he is not going to be fired without 2 more seasons and with real elite talent we may well perform well enough that he extends his tenure even longer.

So during that time I prefer to pump rather than dump. Get to as many games as I can....and watch the rest on TV ...cheer as always....and enjoy the experience. If we don’t improve at all he will likely be gone by year 3. Then I get behind the new guy and root for his success.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok. Fair enough. As my old boss used to say, “Bring me solutions, not problems”. What’s your plan? Hire another young promising coach like White? Lure away a great coach from a blue blood? Other options?
White wasn’t a promising coach. He was a bargain bin coach that didn’t pan out. Time to cut the loss and find an actual proven coach.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
White wasn’t a promising coach. He was a bargain bin coach that didn’t pan out. Time to cut the loss and find an actual proven coach.

Do you find what marine is posting equally objectionable?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think he is elite. But I think he is growing. Look at his improvement on the trail for example and I think he is young enough to improve.

And after all the work Billy D did, you’re fine with an OJT Head Coach? Fvwk that and this conversation. We deserve better. There’s nothing left to discuss if that’s your position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.