Gators remain on track

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Sorry, you are correct. A thread titled "Gators remain on track" clearly has no implications beyond your intended message (which I acknowledge would be too long of a thread title):

"Gators performance to date this season is where anonymous internet poster & pumper Marine1 expected it to go, though he has no idea, and does not mean to imply, whether this is a positive sign for the future or if losing to UGA in the manner we did, with several indefensible coaching decisions, combined with recruiting stagnation, is a sign of our future limitations."

Again, sorry for me reading too much into your title that was definitely not intended. I see it now.

Or you could have followed the thread title right into literally the first sentence.

Your upset I get it. But that won’t change the fact that nearly all but a few saw us losing 2 or more this year for all the reasons we post 24/7.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Who is this someone else? Taggart, Frost, Kelly...? Those are the names, in reverse order, I saw most frequently. Glad we went with who we did instead of what you Nostradamus’ wanted. Oops - forgot Fedora. Didn’t want Donk’s great choice to be forgotten.

This choice your positing is similar to Mullen's 7 minute fourth quarter drive or the run in the redzone against LSU. In those situations, I would have rather seen us play with urgency, drastically increase the tempo, and keep the ball in the air, even if it totally failed. The reason, is it would give us our best chance to win by preserving more opportunities for us to score and win over the remainder of the game. We may not ultimately win, of course. But, my frustration is we know if we take our damn time and then squib kick it, our chances of victory are substantially less. We knew what that our chances to win bled as we intentionally (or willingly) bled the clock. No options when behind 2 scores in the Fourth are great, but you take the risk as a result to get yourself back to having a 20-25% chance of victory.

Well, that is how I feel about the Mullen hire. Super conservative hire, with only the slimmest of chances of turning us into a truly great team. Since you asked, I would have rather us shot for that potential greatness and thrown everything we had at Frost (even Kelly showed a daringness to it, though perhaps more suspect). Frost may not have resulted in a championship, but it would have been making the effort to try for greatness. Mullen has never felt that way, even if he will get us to "better" and "consistently good". It is a personal difference, but I'd rather that not be the goal of my team. I also wonder how Frost would have done here. Maybe the same as Nebraska, but we don't know.

Since you asked, there were others I thought showed creativity, some program building, and innovativeness: Norvell, Candle, Brown, Brohm & Seth Littrel. Taggart won at USF by mistake. He wanted to be Harbaugh, but had to adjust at the demand of his former HS coach, then OC to maximize the value of his QB. He never had his own style for anything and was never on any list I wanted.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This choice your positing is similar to Mullen's 7 minute fourth quarter drive or the run in the redzone against LSU. In those situations, I would have rather seen us play with urgency, drastically increase the tempo, and keep the ball in the air, even if it totally failed. The reason, is it would give us our best chance to win by preserving more opportunities for us to score and win over the remainder of the game. We may not ultimately win, of course. But, my frustration is we know if we take our damn time and then squib kick it, our chances of victory are substantially less. We knew what that our chances to win bled as we intentionally (or willingly) bled the clock. No options when behind 2 scores in the Fourth are great, but you take the risk as a result to get yourself back to having a 20-25% chance of victory.

Well, that is how I feel about the Mullen hire. Super conservative hire, with only the slimmest of chances of turning us into a truly great team. Since you asked, I would have rather us shot for that potential greatness and thrown everything we had at Frost (even Kelly showed a daringness to it, though perhaps more suspect). Frost may not have resulted in a championship, but it would have been making the effort to try for greatness. Mullen has never felt that way, even if he will get us to "better" and "consistently good". It is a personal difference, but I'd rather that not be the goal of my team. I also wonder how Frost would have done here. Maybe the same as Nebraska, but we don't know.

Since you asked, there were others I thought showed creativity, some program building, and innovativeness: Norvell, Candle, Brown, Brohm & Seth Littrel. Taggart won at USF by mistake. He wanted to be Harbaugh, but had to adjust at the demand of his former HS coach, then OC to maximize the value of his QB. He never had his own style for anything and was never on any list I wanted.

Good post and I understand your coaching names, just not on my radar. Not a fan of guys playing 50-40 games where they are now b/c those turn into 50-20 games in the SEC like Chad Moriss. But I respect your opinions. The one guy I want to follow is Matt Campbell at Iowa State. I want to see what he can do when given upper tier talent. ISU had weekly pockets of competiveness in the past, but never sustained weekly competiveness like they have with Cambpell. I think the kid is organized, attentive and has a plan.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Well, hell. I was all in on Scott Frost too. I hated the Mullen hire and stated so. However, I will admit he has done better than I expected. I despised Chip Kelly for what it’s worth.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

I was happy to stabilize the program as opposed to risk diving into another Chump or Mac gamble. If Mullen doesn’t work out, at least we didn’t further through what Taggart or Frost are putting their fan’s through. Hopefully he leaves a more stable roster for the next guy. Just remember: There were no can’t miss Meyer types in 2017 - just more high risk hires. Don’t go all FF with ridiculous hindsight bias about what you “knew” at the time.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I was happy to stabilize the program as opposed to risk diving into another Chump or Mac gamble. If Mullen doesn’t work out, at least we didn’t further through what Taggart or Frost are putting their fan’s through. Hopefully he leaves a more stable roster for the next guy. Just remember: There were no can’t miss Meyer types in 2017 - just more high risk hires. Don’t go all FF with ridiculous hindsight bias about what you “knew” at the time.

I do understand this perspective, I just prefer a different approach.

Separately, I have not put anything I "knew" into any posts here. But, I would disagree with Meyer being a can't miss talent in 2005 and plenty that were posting at Gatorsports expressed that view repeatedly. Unlike some of the names in my post, Meyer left quickly enough in locations to not really know how he would do long term in any place. Spurrier was an obvious hire due to his UF ties. Meyer, not so much, especially because even then everyone knew he was a Midwesterner in love with two football teams, neither of which were Florida, and had little in-roads yet with Florida recruiting (boy did he address that with his staff hires). Rather, hiring Meyer was taking a chance at the potential for greatness. We struck gold (for a bit).

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I do understand this perspective, I just prefer a different approach.

Separately, I have not put anything I "knew" into any posts here. But, I would disagree with Meyer being a can't miss talent in 2005 and plenty that were posting at Gatorsports expressed that view repeatedly. Unlike some of the names in my post, Meyer left quickly enough in locations to not really know how he would do long term in any place. Spurrier was an obvious hire due to his UF ties. Meyer, not so much, especially because even then everyone knew he was a Midwesterner in love with two football teams, neither of which were Florida, and had little in-roads yet with Florida recruiting (boy did he address that with his staff hires). Rather, hiring Meyer was taking a chance at the potential for greatness. We struck gold (for a bit).
I used to prefer a different approach but I was very afraid of becoming Tennessee. I think another swing and miss would’ve put us there. The time to swing and miss was when Chump was hired and we clearly missed. Should’ve hired a “stabilizer” instead of Mac in 2014 to stop the spiral. At least there were still good players.

I was referring to the “no prospects for championships” comment. No one knew what he’d be like with better players here but I think most agree he’s exceeded initial expectations. He could be a few tweaks from great - like Spurrier (but a whole tier down, if that makes sense). SOS was a great coach in the conference but didn’t turn the corner until he hired Stoops to get an elite defense and tweaked the offense. Feel like Mullen could be at that point but in a tier below - good within the division but won’t get to the top of the conference without recruiting and assistant improvements- including some outside perspectives to freshen up the offense.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Literally a few posts before yours in this thread.

I didn't think anyone both read T's posts and then took him seriously. That's like saying "posters are predicting the Gators will still win the national championship this year", just because JBoss posts.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
uga played their best game of the year against us. ( everybody plays their best game of the year against us) we are the superbowl for uga, fsu, lsu, um, auburn , uk , cocks and ut. we played alot less than perfect, we did not with the intensity of the lsu game. we had 21 friggin rushing yards. they had 100 uncalled holding calls ,and were gifted 2 ridiculous 3rd down conversions. they have 15 5 star players, we have 1 ( cox, who was not suited up) . with all that being said we still only lost by 7 stinkin points. the gap is closing. i was just surpised of the 3rd down gaffes coming off the bye week. we knew we needed to stop swift on 1st downs and did, and they burnt us on the passing game

Last edited:

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
uga played their best game of the year against us. ( everybody plays their best game of the year against us) we are the superbowl for uga, fsu, lsu, um, auburn , uk , cocks and ut. we played alot less than perfect, we did not with the intensity of the lsu game. we had 21 friggin rushing yards. they had 100 uncalled holding calls ,and were gifted 2 ridiculous 3rd down conversions. they have 15 5 star players, we have 1 ( cox, who was not suited up) . with all that being said we still only lost by 7 stinkin points. the gap is closing. i was just surpised of the 3rd down gaffes coming off the bye week. we knew we needed to stop swift on 1st downs and did, and they burnt us on the passing game

We lost the exact way that we were told we would by national media and anyone that’s watched football in their lives...Made Fromm beat us...the only thing like you said that I’m surprised by is the lack of third down efficiency on both sides...and I am hopeful but I’ve taken my Orange and Blue glasses off and I won’t get my hopes up again until we can prove we’re capable of recruiting at a higher level and our coaches don’t coach scared of course

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
If we win out then a team with glaring deficiencies has at least learned to eliminate stupid losses to inferior teams. A small step forward.

In the off season the crap assistants need to go, we know the names.

Grantham has assuredly hit his ceiling and should be gone too. We’re young on defense next year. Might be the right time to install a new defense with new players who can earn their lumps next year along with a new DC.

The damage that Dan is clearing up runs deep. The offensive line still needs another year to develop depth and talent, and the DL will also be going thru growing pains. This is the legacy of the previous coaching regimes that hurts most.

that being the case, I think we take a step back next year in wins and losses with senior departures but grow up a bit, and once AR15 takes the reins after Emory he’s gonna have a veteran team around him and then we’ll see what happens with this team’s aspirations. It sucks balls and absolutely no one wants to wait for returns, but given the roster right now that’s just where we are.

dan can attack this problem by cutting the fat in his staff and getting real closers who can make up for his own deficiencies in the trail. He does that and gets some players in to ball on D and with AR15 on offense and then we can demand anything we want of the team and if dan can’t rebuild the roster by the next two cycles then he’s obviously cooked.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
On track for what? Another 3rd place East finish?

Butters took over the East his first two seasons and Butters wiped the floor with the Butt Sniffers his first 2 seasons.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Bro, I agree with a lot of this, but at some point, we have to show up to big games that aren't at home. Losing winnable games because we can't stop an opposing offense is unacceptable.
Just believing that in year two with our roster playing their roster is a WINNABLE Game is pretty gdddmm good. Talent and depth wise we should not be able to stay on the field with them. Coaching staff is why.

Rick Schulz

Nov 28, 2016
Program is definitely heading in the right direction… Yes recruiting has to pick up. The most positive thing about this season is that we have remained in or around the top 10 the entire season, which makes us relevant in all of the talking heads conversation. It is that kind of publicity that gets recruits to take notice. Of course I wanted us to beat Georgia, like no other. I was at the run Lindsay run game, as a kid and from that moment on I have heated the Georgia Bulldogs. Mullen can develope, now he must recruit

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So everything is great except for recruiting?

"Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just believing that in year two with our roster playing their roster is a WINNABLE Game is pretty gdddmm good. Talent and depth wise we should not be able to stay on the field with them. Coaching staff is why.
Coaching staff is also why the roster continues in the dump.

Cant wait til Butter's WR talent moves on, we graduate to Cowbell level 3 stars who couldn't even beat a CB in HS but are known for their blocking take over.

Should be fun.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Lol, aren't we #10 in recruiting. If we get dumervil ,ej smith and tim smith ......

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I used to prefer a different approach but I was very afraid of becoming Tennessee. I think another swing and miss would’ve put us there.
Whelp... here we are.

Just more of the decade of mediocrity, the Muschimp/McElstain/Mullinz years. Season over in October and hoping for something better than the Independence Bowl.

Rick Schulz

Nov 28, 2016
Not everything...some questionable play calling on both sides of the ball, but I think on the right track. Better depth will fix a lot. Facilities will help...it’s easy to second guess coaching...I know because I have coached for 20 years...and I do it all the time.definitely not perfect, but program is on upswing...I’ve suffered and rejoiced thru Doug Dickey, thru 0-10-1, Years of mediocrity, the greatness of Spurrier, the Zook experiment, Meyers NC’s, MUshchamp (I believed) Mac(I didn’t) and Mullen has us pointed in the right direction...hoping he can take us to the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator