Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Missouri***

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I read an article somewhere last week where the author lamented UF's KR teams and said when BN called them "gamechangers" he never anticipated it would be a negative game changing scenario. I've been saying since the conclusion of game 3 we should automatically call a fair catch on any kick caught inside the 15 as our probability to reach the 25 or beyond is almost non existent.

I remember one of the tenants that made Meyer's special teams special was he placed a premium on their performance and rewarded their outstanding play. Little things like when the team had steak dinners the special team players were first in line. He had starters play critical roles on those teams, Rainey and Demps blocking kicks, Percy Harvin leading the way for Brandon James PR TD against UT in 07.

The ineffectiveness of the ST's has been my biggest disappointment thru 5 games but not giving up hope.
I agree but I also recognize that the pile that Meyer had to work with compared to what Napier is working with is a lot different. I kinda would be worried about putting my best players out there unless I had a lot of talent behind those players. We dont have a Rainey, Demps, James or Percy. And any player remotely close to them is most likely one deep. We don't have anywhere near the stockpile of talent to load up our special teams with.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I think that's ridiculous. Even Saban, Meyer, etc, had plenty of issues their entire first season.
Whoa, that's lofty company. So you think we may have the next Saban or Meyer in Napier?
Let's hope you're correct. There's only one way we'll ever find out..... keep watching.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I agree but I also recognize that the pile that Meyer had to work with compared to what Napier is working with is a lot different. I kinda would be worried about putting my best players out there unless I had a lot of talent behind those players. We dont have a Rainey, Demps, James or Percy. And any player remotely close to them is most likely one deep. We don't have anywhere near the stockpile of talent to load up our special teams with.
OK, let's remember that the four mentioned players were all recruited by Meyer and were not available in 2005. I don't remember how good the ST's were in 2005 just know it was a fanatical focus and obsession for Meyer and it showed throughout his tenure. I only hope BN has the same focus and obsession on "game changers" or change the name of the unit to "don't fcck it up"

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Has Jon had a paternity test?
View attachment 49524
One of these are not like the others.

Great looking family, imo. I’ve become a huge Kitna fan after Saturday and think he could definitely be a nice bridge to the next great QB, which means we wouldn’t have to force it with a bad take over the next few classes. If I see any issue at all with the pic it’s the classic, almost weirdly apologetic head-tilt from mom. That became popular in the 80s and I never understood it. Still a fan of them though.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
If youre saying "new coaches" "New system" excuses meaning the best players should be playing then I agree. If you instead mean the team should be performing at a high level now, then I disagree.
I am saying, for this year, we should know what we have...we will be half way through.

For the record, I like what we have seen for the most part. I know it is a project that will take a few years to build and there will be hiccups along the way...and I didn't expect miracles with the roster or from a coaching staff learning a new level of performance expectations. I am simply saying we only have 12 games. After six, we are who we are for the year and can set reasonable expectations from the first half.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
OK, let's remember that the four mentioned players were all recruited by Meyer and were not available in 2005. I don't remember how good the ST's were in 2005 just know it was a fanatical focus and obsession for Meyer and it showed throughout his tenure. I only hope BN has the same focus and obsession on "game changers" or change the name of the unit to "don't fcck it up"
And lets remember its game 5 of Napier's term and he didn't have zOoK recruiting for him before he got here like Meyer did. And lets also note that you can't remember how good STs were in 2005 yet you know it was a fanatical focus of Meyer throughout his tenure. We had 1 TD all season in 2005 on punt returns and none on kick off returns. Marcus Manson was our main kick returner and Vernell Brown was our main punt returner. There was nothing special at all about our special teams in 2005. So when you reference about how great our STs were during Meyer's tenure lets keep it a bit in the realm of reality and recognize that it didnt happen until he got his players. And can we stop comparing everything to Meyer? He burned out.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Fenley Graham, my insider buddies who are long time Dreadnaught boosters hint that Graham and Bowman both have an affection for maryjane and were warned to knock it off and did not listen, hence Graham is at FAMU and Bowman at UCF. I don't know first hand but trust the source.
Thats funny...I basically hinted at that when they were released and you had a temper tantrum. And it wasn't an affection to just smoke it as it was selling it.

LurkingGator

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2016
job_takers_2022-10-05.png
Fail. If you let interns slide on quality control issues like this, you end up with things like "OFFCIAL OFFER" letters, and worse.

On Kitna parentage question, I had the same thought. I liked what I saw Saturday, which was a relief after some of comments I have read about him since he has been on campus. But I still wanted to know if we were sold a bill of goods on the football genes. Some random blurb on the Internet says Jennifer Kitna's paternal grandmother's ancestors were from the Tikar Tribe of Cameroon.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So far I do like in what I see with the team. Some head scratchers for sure, but it is to be expected from new program and the shyt show that Mullentham left behind. I am hoping that the switch has "flipped" some with the offense. The defense we knew that we'd have issues but just didn't know to what extent. I do not think it is so much the new scheme. I will give the growing pains that come with that scheme. But Napier and Toney are having to transform a Defense that reeked of the stench of Grantham, the lack of recruiting, and playing under sized players in positions they shouldn't. All to accommodate Grantham's inept defense. I think the total was 77 players got in the game last weekend, that's huge and helps them from top to bottom.

We saw it in the game Saturday and also in postgame locker room videos. Napier pretty much knows what he has at this point. He knows that he needs to start fast and not take the foot off the gas. With Mizzou this is even important. Get two to three scores on them and they will definitely have to abandon any game plan. I am really hoping for a curb stomping this weekend and hope they can put one on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.