***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs South Carolina***

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Need @Concrete Helmet to validate this theory.
Gladly...I think it is pretty obvious that our strength right now lends itself to passing more frequently, depending on the pace of the game and number of plays probably 35-45 passes wouldn't be too many.
One thing we will have to be aware of though is their pass rush looked pretty decent against UGA so it wouldn't bother me to see a lot of check downs, screens and such.....BUT if getting "cute" in the running game means running option I just don't think we have a way around it right now....there is just NOTHING between the Tackles at this point....

Game plan should be to come out and pass often even if a lot of WR screens and such and maybe get Perine and Davis involved in the passing game(check downs) if their coverage is decent....if we run get outside the tackles, throw in a reverse or 2 then maybe go to some mis direction on the inside(I keep yelling for that knowing I will never see it from a Mullen offense) AND for the love of God would it kill us to run a conventional middle screen if they start pinning their ears back in a pass rush....hell maybe even a draw play or 2 might work.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
rain likely will bother us as we want to pass primarily. rain favors running teams, which we are not. if crete actually knew anything about the run game (other than the fact that it gets him erect) he'd know this :lol:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Gladly...I think it is pretty obvious that our strength right now lends itself to passing more frequently, depending on the pace of the game and number of plays probably 35-45 passes wouldn't be too many.
One thing we will have to be aware of though is their pass rush looked pretty decent against UGA so it wouldn't bother me to see a lot of check downs, screens and such.....BUT if getting "cute" in the running game means running option I just don't think we have a way around it right now....there is just NOTHING between the Tackles at this point....

Game plan should be to come out and pass often even if a lot of WR screens and such and maybe get Perine and Davis involved in the passing game(check downs) if their coverage is decent....if we run get outside the tackles, throw in a reverse or 2 then maybe go to some mis direction on the inside(I keep yelling for that knowing I will never see it from a Mullen offense) AND for the love of God would it kill us to run a conventional middle screen if they start pinning their ears back in a pass rush....hell maybe even a draw play or 2 might work.
I’m guessing Pierce is back this week and I can’t think of a better environment for a guy like him to thrive in. Low center of gravity, powerful, and great burst - this game is ideal for him to break tackles and make runs. Dancin’ Perine needs his carries reduced if Pierce is healthy.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m guessing Pierce is back this week and I can’t think of a better environment for a guy like him to thrive in. Low center of gravity, powerful, and great burst - this game is ideal for him to break tackles and make runs. Dancin’ Perine needs his carries reduced if Pierce is healthy.

If the weather is in fact nasty, I agree we'll need to run a lot more, especially if it shows any impact on Trask's ability to throw or even hang on to the football. Poor guy has been handed down 11 in the 4th on the road, has a couple of easy games, then has to play with a bad knee against Aub, then at night in BR, now a slopfest on the road against WM. Outside of the two easier tasks, that's a brutal stretch to begin a career.

And totally agree on Pierce. If Perine plays like he did as a freshman against Lsu, so be it. But we need north and south in those types of conditions. I think Pierce's style is more geared to that. This baby loves the slop. Eats it up. Eats the slop. Born to slop.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
If the weather is in fact nasty, I agree we'll need to run a lot more, especially if it shows any impact on Trask's ability to throw or even hang on to the football. Poor guy has been handed down 11 in the 4th on the road, has a couple of easy games, then has to play with a bad knee against Aub, then at night in BR, now a slopfest on the road against WM. Outside of the two easier tasks, that's a brutal stretch to begin a career.

And totally agree on Pierce. If Perine plays like he did as a freshman against Lsu, so be it. But we need north and south in those types of conditions. I think Pierce's style is more geared to that. This baby loves the slop. Eats it up. Eats the slop. Born to slop.
Hope his concussion symptoms have faded. Dude was a beast but its not worth damaging his brain. Felt like he was finally starting to insert himself into a more prominent role in the offense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
rain likely will bother us as we want to pass primarily. rain favors running teams, which we are not. if crete actually knew anything about the run game (other than the fact that it gets him erect) he'd know this :lol:
I don't think we can afford to try and pound the ball and it hurts me deeply to say that :lol:....The short passing game can work in the rain and I'd be more than content to watch us throw 8-15 yard darts all game long. I think that's Trask strong point.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not to worry about the weather this weekend, I have it on good authority that it's going to hit Tennessee and Kentucky instead.

storm.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I like Pierce but I think the reason Mullen goes with Perine is he's damned good in pass protection and has good hands out of the backfield. I agree that Pierce is a stronger runner between the tackles.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
USCe defense this season has given up the following yards Rush / Pass / TurnOver_Margin

Code:
UNC    238 / 245 / -1
CharSo    72 / 195 / 1
ALA   76 / 495 / -2
@MIZZ    194 / 227 / -1
UK  115 / 97 / 1
@UGA  173 / 295 / 4

They are averaging giving up 145 / 259, and that's including a UK team that is down to it's 2nd or 3rd QB at this point. They CAN be run on, and they CAN be thrown against. Knowing our offense, I'll say we still can't run unless we use short passes that ARE the run game; and we CAN win with passing given how we did against LSU whom I see as being better than USCe. For comparison, here's LSU (avg 92 / 224):

Code:
GaSou    74 / 24 / 2
@TX    121 / 409 / -1
NWSt    145 / 229 / -1
@VAN    145 / 229 / 0
UTSt   19 / 140 / 1
FL   146 / 311 / 1

USCe beat UGA because of the +4 TO margin. I'm more worried about weather than I am about us being able to win with our passing attack (and whatever substitute we can muster for a running game). We need to NOT lose the ball.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not to worry about the weather this weekend, I have it on good authority that it's going to hit Tennessee and Kentucky instead.

Looks like that thing is gonna hit Alabama.....:bwahaha:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
USCe defense this season has given up the following yards Rush / Pass / TurnOver_Margin

Code:
UNC    142 / 245 / -1
CharSo    282 / 195 / 1
ALA   324 / 495 / -2
@MIZZ    256 / 227 / -1
UK  140 / 97 / 1
@UGA  255 / 295 / 4

They are averaging giving up 233 / 259, and that's including a UK team that is down to it's 2nd or 3rd QB at this point. They CAN be run on, and they CAN be thrown against. Knowing our offense, I'll say we still can't run unless we use short passes that ARE the run game; and we CAN win with passing given how we did against LSU whom I see as being better than USCe. For comparison, here's LSU (avg 92 / 224):

Code:
GaSou    74 / 24 / 2
@TX    121 / 409 / -1
NWSt    145 / 229 / -1
@VAN    145 / 229 / 0
UTSt   19 / 140 / 1
FL   146 / 311 / 1

USCe beat UGA because of the +4 TO margin. I'm more worried about weather than I am about us being able to win with our passing attack (and whatever substitute we can muster for a running game). We need to NOT lose the ball.
Pretty sure those Charleston So. stats are not correct. Didn't USCe hang like 70 something on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.