Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n121474]I think this whole process is just now heating up. Apparently Foley and Freeze didn't speak directly. That doesn't mean there wasn't some sort of contact. There had to have been. Freeze wasn't enough committal for Foley's taste. The reports about Freeze's wishy washiness were, in fact, accurate. Re McElwain, reports are that Foley contacted him Saturday night. That strikes me as kicking tires. This guy isn't a serious candidate, he's a fallback candidate. Doesn't mean he won't happen, just means he's taking a back seat for now.

The heavy wood is coming. Call me pie in the ski or naive, but I still think Stoops is the guy. I think he's let it be known through channels or direct contact that there will be no direct discussions until the regular season is over. I'm looking for something as early as Sunday from Foley. And from everything I've read, Foley DOES want to get this wrapped up ASAP. [/QUOTE]

I'm still confused as to why people think we are getting Stoops... I hope I am wrong, but he has turned us down twice... why is this time different?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Denver Post "confirms" that Foley and McElwain spoke on the phone Saturday and that they (DP) contacted the interim AD who declined to comment on JMs status or if he was asked permission to discuss the opening.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n121479 said:
What you typed had everything to do with what I posted. You have the bizarre opinion that we should just settle for some kind of a 3-year Obi-Wan Jedi type to transition us into the next big coaching hire as he retires. Hell, the only guy I could even think of that would fit that kind of scenario is Spurrier, and we know that isn't happening.

The season just ended - it's amazing how many people think the search is over and UF has struck out on a whole list of people.

Not at all, Law made a statement, which I quoted. It was simply a reminder that the idea of a short term solution had been discussed and knocked by most on here. It wasn't an endorsement. I understand that you feel used by your sources and that you blindly perpetuated a rumor that appears to have little basis. But...just get over it. Not many really believed your Stoops rumor or your Freeze rumor. No need to twist what others say.

I fully understand that I'm in the minority that don't want a big flashy coaching name. I just want someone who can coach and would appreciate what the University of Florida has to offer and stay for a long time. That doesn't mean I'd be upset with a Chip Kelly or a Bob Stoops. I know I said I didn't want Stoops (wanting and being upset are different things), but he's a hell of a lot better than what we've had the past few years. I don't really want a short-term solution like a Cutcliffe or Spurrier scenario, but I certainly wouldn't be upset.

I think Foley will likely go with an up an comer like a Hudspeth, or the Boise St guy. Someone like a Mcelwain (sp). I don't know enough about any of them to be happy or upset if hired. I do think Foley will likely go this route.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also coachingsearch.com says McElwain is in the Nebraska mix as well as Schiano.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Scott frost will be Nebraska's next coach

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Gatoravatara;n121528 said:
He sources were probably right. If the Foley did not want to pony up or the counteroffer was too great, or the person changed their minds as the season progressed, that does not mean that Ox's sources burnt him. Coaching offers are very fluid, just like recruiting commits. How many time has a play de-commited after swearing that he was going to pick a certain school. For the record, I was told by an Ole Miss booster that Freeze was a done deal too. He was a good source. So either Foley messed things up or this was a ploy by Freeze to get a raise, or Freeze looked as his season and thought he probably could win in MS.

Freeze didn't need a "ploy" to get a raise. He won the Egg Bowl. He beat Bama. He kept MS from the playoffs. He earned a raise. And he's the kind of guy who will say a championship at Ole Miss is impossible . . . until it isn't any more. He stuck with the bigger challenge. Hats off to him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n121528 said:
He sources were probably right. If the Foley did not want to pony up or the counteroffer was too great, or the person changed their minds as the season progressed, that does not mean that Ox's sources burnt him. Coaching offers are very fluid, just like recruiting commits. How many time has a play de-commited after swearing that he was going to pick a certain school. For the record, I was told by an Ole Miss booster that Freeze was a done deal too. He was a good source. So either Foley messed things up or this was a ploy by Freeze to get a raise, or Freeze looked as his season and thought he probably could win in MS.

Mississippi and him had agreed to terms of an extension before he was contacted by us. So I don't know how much of a ploy Freeze had to do to get a raise he already agreed to? He also got a raise last December, was that a ploy?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n121530 said:
Foley is probably really scrambling now.

It's too early to scramble. Not all coaches seasons are even done.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n121532 said:
We had someone like that-Muschamp-minus the coaching part.. He would have stayed as long as we would have let him. I am the opposite. I am fine with a hired gun as long as they are not from GA or Criminoles. They can stay 4 years, get us a ring and a few SECCs and move on.

That's pretty much an essential piece. BTW, hired guns like Meyer tend to leave programs in a lurch. If not for Tebow and Harvin, we wouldn't have 2 NC's to show for it. I know most who are fine with Urban's antics because we have 2 NC's to show for it, don't realize that Urban was as lucky as he was good. No Tebow...no NC's....no Harvin....no NC's. Those were the lynchpins

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This is all part of Foley's master plan. What is the plan, maybe this? :surrender:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n121482 said:
I'm still confused as to why people think we are getting Stoops... I hope I am wrong, but he has turned us down twice... why is this time different?

Were your life circumstances different in 2002? Now consider a head coach at a major program, 16 years in and maybe burnt out on the circumstances. Shyt happens. We're banking on the shyt happening now. Gotta explore it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BLACKCELL;n121561 said:
Its time for facility upgrades and big money tier 1 Coach. Bite the bullet Foley, pay to play!

We should be getting an indoor facility soon. From what I've heard is they are trying to find a spot for it. Other facilities are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.