Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BLACKCELL;n121561 said:
Its time for facility upgrades and big money tier 1 Coach. Bite the bullet Foley, pay to play!

We offered a coach top 10 money, wouldn't that be tier 1 money?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n121574 said:
If Foley can pull a Stoops or Chip, or someone that blows us away then I will eat my words. But if we end up getting a third tier and he brags about how we got him on the cheap, then this will impress no one-recruits included. We can sugarcoat it all we want, but what is left is the third tier. During normal times we could not even be considering these people, let alone calling them. That is like dating a woman that you are unattracted to convincing yourself that in right light she looks awesome. CSU, lost to every mediocre team on its weak cupcake schedule, Air Force and Boise State. They beast Utah State by 3 pts and Nevada and San Jose State by a TD. This is most unimpressive to me.

Not arguing that point, just saying it is way too early for us to being getting on the ledge and assuming candidates. At least two conferences haven't finished there regular seasons, and a few Championship Games need to happen. Saturday has a few possible candidates that we have to wait until they are done before we can really know who is targeted and not. Losing a guy like Freeze, means only that we didn't get Freeze at this point.

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
Paging Slevin, paging Slevin... He made an excellent post and point over on 24/7, offering up some "perspective" on coaching hires and searches. If he hasn't tried to make the point here, he needs to. If he has, he needs to again.

Basically you can look at all the great coaches across the nation, the "top tier" guys we're talking about, they all came from a mid-level school to the big leagues. Other than Saban, Meyer, and Spurrier, no coaches at elite jobs made lateral moves from one big-time program to another. And obviously, all the big names started small before they got their raise and really earned their prestige.

The point being, it's ok to get a proven head coach from the mid-level, it's even the norm. Mans actually, more than anything, we need someone that 1) knows offense and 2) is hungry to establish themselves as an elite coach.

If we get Stoops, I won't be complaining. I'll love it and have all the high hopes in the world. But, it might be in our best interest not to get a coach who's "burnt out" after 16 years at OU. As long as we can establish the offense and get that part of the ball firing on all cylinders again, we don't need the heavy weights. We have everything else necessary--the decensive personnel, the game atmosphere, the tradition, the fans, the university, the funds, the recruiting base--to be the best again, and make a mid-level guy, "the guy". We've done it before and so have most prestigious football programs across the country.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Most people here said Freeze was not their first choice. Me included. I think they will surprise us with someone really good. Its early yet.

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
we need to forfeit all games next year, there isn't going to be a coach hired because it has been three days since the season ended, way to long for a coaching search

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n121582 said:
Most people here said Freeze was not their first choice. Me included. I think they will surprise us with someone really good. Its early yet.

I can live with whoever is hired but I just done see us getting a big name now unless he changes his tune on a Rich Rod type. It looks like Stoops wasn't interested and Freeze turned us down. I just don't see Briles, Patterson, Kelly, Harbaugh or anyone like that leaving to come here now.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n121582 said:
I have serious doubts we even offered freeze...

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
cornbread;n121593 said:
we need to forfeit all games next year, there isn't going to be a coach hired because it has been three days since the season ended, way to long for a coaching search
Lol yeah seriously. It's way too early for the overreactions like I've seen from some

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I almost get the feeling Foley is floating names out there to see the response from the media and message boards so he'll know if he's making the right choice.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
It's rough around here. I like McElwain, I think he would be a good hire, but his buyout really seems like it will be a problem. Do we really see Florida paying over $13 million to make a coaching change? Hard to believe.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
So, realistically who do we think its going to be now? Hudspeth seems to fit the Slevin theory. Mcelwain just doesnt blow my skirt up

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n121550 said:
I am just listing all of the options. I dont blame him for staying. I am not bitter about this. I am wondering about Foley, however.

Apparently Foley offered 4.2 or 4.3 million and Ole Miss came with 4 and raises for assistants... what more do you want Foley to do on this... offer 5...6...? How much should he offer Freeze... is it at all possible to you that Freeze wasn't going to come at all if Ole Miss paid him... that he wants to stay there and build something?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
kepler;n121605 said:
It's rough around here. I like McElwain, I think he would be a good hire, but his buyout really seems like it will be a problem. Do we really see Florida paying over $13 million to make a coaching change? Hard to believe.

Buyout might not be as big of an issue, due to CSU apparently didn't fulfill some of the things they were contracted to do as well.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n121608 said:
So, realistically who do we think its going to be now? Hudspeth seems to fit the Slevin theory. Mcelwain just doesnt blow my skirt up

Hard to say but my guess would be someone like Hudspeth or Holliday. I think the real big names are mostly off the table now.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Phone conversation between Foley and Bob Stoops, leaked by DCMZ, here's the transcript:

Foley: Bobby, I know you said you were interested but you wanted to wait until after your final game to have serious discussions. I'm fine with that, but just a heads-up, we're going to be vetting Jim McElwain, Hugh Freeze and Josh McDaniels. I'd be irresponsible if I didn't have a plan B, sir. Any reports that we've offered anyone else are not true, you are our only guy. Looking forward to talking to you Sunday, good luck in your game.

Stoops: I understand, we'll talk soon, Go Gators!

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n121618 said:
Phone conversation between Foley and Bob Stoops, leaked by DCMZ, here's the transcript:

Foley: Bobby, I know you said you were interested but you wanted to wait until after your final game to have serious discussions. I'm fine with that, but just a heads-up, we're going to be vetting Jim McElwain, Hugh Freeze and Josh McDaniels. I'd be irresponsible if I didn't have a plan B, sir. Any reports that we've offered anyone else are not true, you are our only guy. Looking forward to talking to you Sunday, good luck in your game.

Stoops: I understand, we'll talk soon, Go Gators!

:lol: We can dream, right?!

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n121617 said:
Hard to say but my guess would be someone like Hudspeth or Holliday. I think the real big names are mostly off the table now.

Freeze stays at Ole Miss and that means all the big names are off the table? :headscratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator