Treon's days may be numbered - now cited with driving w/o license

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n134044 said:
Agree, I noticed that too, which is why I said "the only drawback is the level of competition, it truly comes too easy for him at times."

I know. I just wanted to be the first person on Gatorchatter to use the word "Lilliputians" in a post.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n133851 said:
Playing against air
It's hard to have those kind of stats against air. Most QBs couldn't throw that many yards in practice against no DBs. Of course, that's no guarantee it will translate in college.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Floridagator;n133920 said:
Does anyone really believe Harris beat Grier out as back up? Really? Grier was RS this last year that was part of his deal coming here. If treon went down you would've seen Morningman again
That's right. It was all "predestined". WG needed a year to fatten up, if nothing else.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n133867 said:
I'm sure McElwain is not thrilled with Jackson running his mouth. Maybe it'll teach him to be more careful with what he says to recruits. The fact is that Jeff Driskel is history, even if he wanted to stay McElwain could never put him on the field, the pitchforks would instantly come out. I think it's pretty safe to say that Mornhinweg is not going to be the quarterback. That leaves Harris, who beat out Grier, as the only quarterback who has actually played a game. There's no assurance that McElwain will be able to get any quarterback to say yes this late in the game, so he had best not piss of the only quarterback he has that has played, besides Mornhinweg. Maybe he can get someone to flip, like Harris did last year, but there aren't many true freshmen ready to play quarterback. I'd be more careful talking to recruits, that comment does not endear him to Harris. Maybe Jackson is not someone UF would want anyway, it wasn't very smart of him to repeat what the coach said.

I'm not so sure that Treon beat out Grier for the b/u spot. Sure TH did far better than Driskel and was glad that the former HC made the move. But that whole TH beat out WG had more to do with his parents wanting the RS. Not to mention the lack of practice time for an "injury" this fall. And an incompetent HC that hitched his wagon to Driskel. Mac knows what he's doing out there and we'll be fine.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Get Grier and OL, a solid run game, and a coach that can develop him offensively (Coach Mac). Kinda sounds like what Coach Mac is building. Very excited for UF.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
TN G8tr;n134069 said:
I'm not so sure that Treon beat out Grier for the b/u spot. Sure TH did far better than Driskel and was glad that the former HC made the move. But that whole TH beat out WG had more to do with his parents wanting the RS. Not to mention the lack of practice time for an "injury" this fall. And an incompetent HC that hitched his wagon to Driskel. Mac knows what he's doing out there and we'll be fine.

WG and his dad was talking about him redshirting this year when he was still in high school last year.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I'm amazed at everyone who touts Grier. He hasn't played a down and did lose out to Harris for the backup job. As for what he did in "the opening," I'll remind everyone that Jeff Driskel was also great in camps and drills, but sucked in real games. Maybe Grier will be great, but there is zero evidence of that right now. Before proclaiming him leading UF to a National Championship, he needs to at least set foot on the field first. McElwain will certainly earn his money this Spring. The biggest need at UF, the same as the past five years, is to have a decent quarterback. I've seen them, they do exist, just not in Gainesville since Tebow left.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;134074 said:
I'm amazed at everyone who touts Grier. He hasn't played a down and did lose out to Harris for the backup job. As for what he did in "the opening," I'll remind everyone that Jeff Driskel was also great in camps and drills, but sucked in real games. Maybe Grier will be great, but there is zero evidence of that right now. Before proclaiming him leading UF to a National Championship, he needs to at least set foot on the field first. McElwain will certainly earn his money this Spring. The biggest need at UF, the same as the past five years, is to have a decent quarterback. I've seen them, they do exist, just not in Gainesville since Tebow left.

Driskel wasn't great in high school. It was all about camps for him.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n134074 said:

Correct Gator J. And no matter how you spin it.........RS=not going to play. So who knows what the competition or its basis in the fall was. The RS was a tool used by his dad in the recruitment process. Many are touting his skills and ability. Now its up to Mac.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Grier wins the starting job and we have a competent Freshman coming in, Treon may want to reconsider where his NFL future may be. He's got some obvious skills with the ball in his hands. I just don't see him translating as an NFL QB. The Drew Brees's of the world are few and far in between. Some want to compare him to Russell Wilson, but I just don't see it. Similar skill sets but very far apart on ability. We could also see rotating QB's, but if Treon isn't the man at QB, I don't think we want him in a perpetual QB battle. It will split the team, similar to Miami with Jacory Harris. Treon either needs to be the man or switch positions, it's a locker room nightmare if one of these does not occur

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Even if you don't buy that WG's RS was part of his deal and believe there was a fair fight for the backup job, Treon didn't beat WG on pure QB skills. TH got the nod because of his legs. From the earlier posted article, “Will and Treon are both very talented players,” Muschamp explained. “I felt like Harris could provide us some things in short-yardage and red-zone situations.”

WG's dad is a smart guy and good coach. He knows his kid has some bad habits from playing against the
Lilliputians. Many of those 30 yard runs wouldn't got for 3 in the SEC (I've never seen so many bad angles and whiffed tackles in one highlight reel), his tendency to back up from pressure would be disastrous, and several of those throws into coverage would be picks. However, the kid has the right build and throws a very pretty long ball on the money more times than most. To pick up on an earlier post, most guys couldn't hit 10 TDs in practice with no DBs on the field. He did it in a game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't matter who wins the job as long as they are much, much better than what was on the field last season. If Harris is going to be the starter he needs to improve. If it is Grier then hopefully he has taken the year to get better. We don't know what McElwain is looking for, or if either fits what he wants to do. All we know is it has to be better than the product we got last year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I went ahead and looked up Grayson's stats from Colorado State this season. I was interested to see if he did any running to speak of. The answer is no (in fact Grayson has negative rushing yards for the season). While it's cool these days to have "athletic" QB's that run a lot, there's still a lot to be said for a classic dropback pocket passer, which it's probably safe to say McElwain prefers. While Grier can scramble a bit, he's definitely more of a pocket gunslinger, something that Mac probably finds very attractive. I agree that Harris was selected to play this year because of his scrambling abilities.

In short, I'd be stunned if Grier wasn't our starting QB next season.

Grayson's stats:

https://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515528/garrett-grayson

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I will be stunned if the QB position does not produce more than it has the last (seems like) hundred years.........And do not care who is calling signals.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
oxrageous;n134096 said:
I went ahead and looked up Grayson's stats from Colorado State this season. I was interested to see if he did any running to speak of. The answer is no (in fact Grayson has negative rushing yards for the season). While it's cool these days to have "athletic" QB's that run a lot, there's still a lot to be said for a classic dropback pocket passer, which it's probably safe to say McElwain prefers. While Grier can scramble a bit, he's definitely more of a pocket gunslinger, something that Mac probably finds very attractive. I agree that Harris was selected to play this year because of his scrambling abilities.
In short, I'd be stunned if Grier wasn't our starting QB next season.
Grayson's stats:
https://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515528/garrett-grayson

Good analysis. I would be interested to see what Harris would do if he lost the starting job. After tasting the starting job, it would be a tough pill to swallow to be relegated to the bench again. In short, would he transfer?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t-gator;n133941 said:
Why redshirt a kid if he can save your job?
Why would you think Muschamp was smart enough to do anything offensively to save his job? What became obvious to everyone else remained oblivious to him even after the Bama game.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ESPN's mock draft by mcshay has grayson in the top 5 QBs to be selected. Not sure if that really means much because it doesnt say how many total QBs are going to be in the draft, but usually top 5 means something decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.