Will a close loss to Alabama satisfy you?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're right, a 6-5 or 7-4 record is not acceptable and I didn't mean to imply that. Probably a better way to say it is I'd like to see an improvement in our coaching and the overall product on the field. It would be nice to switch from underachieving to normal achievement with the possibility of even over achieving on the radar somewhere. I'll never be happy with that kind of W-L record, ever. We have too much talent on our team and too much talent to recruit from to be satisfied with that.

Regardless, I don't care if the lord almighty was coaching this team right now, nobody is taking this squad into AL expecting to win. They are just too deep and too well coached and too experienced at winning to have that kind of swagger. I'll settle for a chance of winning at this point and I think we do have a chance. Is anyone seriously thinking we are going undefeated this year? If so, out yourself. If not, this is certainly one of the games that is in major doubt. Playing this game on the road and looking like a disciplined football team that is on the road to bigger and better things would be a massive improvement from last year's abortion. Call it a moral victory if y'all want but playing a hard fought game in this environment and not embarrassing ourselves is still a positive stepping stone from where we were on the way to where we need to be.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9 said:
If we beat bama, which will be larger? The number of spots we move up in the polls, Or the number of spots they drop?
drop, due to questions about their qb position.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Am I the only one who likes our chances in this game? Our defense should hold them in check. Our turnover margin is fantastic. We have the best offense since Meyer was here. We actually throw the ball down field. Kicking is improved. I think if we play a smart mistake free game we have a great chance to win. Simms is going to struggle against our defense. If we contain the run Bama is in trouble.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
If we stay in this game, execute well, compete for the win, but come up short that will be a damn sight better than getting blown out. Satisfying? Not at all. But, with a close loss you can have some confidence looking down the schedule. A blowout? Break out the pencils and fill in the rest of your "L"s.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
No way will I ever spin a loss as a good thing, but I'm not sure how losing to bama in Tuscaloosa will make anything worst than it is. People already want to fire WM and bench Driskel. So no I will not be happy with a close loss, but I will not be looking to start a riot with a bad loss either.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd;n53146 said:
No way will I ever spin a loss as a good thing, but I'm not sure how losing to bama in Tuscaloosa will make anything worst than it is. People already want to fire WM and bench Driskel. So no I will not be happy with a close loss, but I will not be looking to start a riot with a bad loss either.

So you don't think a home OT win over lowly KY and a real bad loss at Bama would mean things clearly aren't getting any better.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Gator Fever;n53148 said:
So you don't think a home OT win over lowly KY and a real bad loss at Bama would mean things clearly aren't getting any better.

No, I think we have nothing to loss and everything to gain in this game this week. The whole world thinks we loss, even 90% of this board. An L is a L, no moral Victories.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
Mudd;n53146 said:

Can't say that I agree with him. A bad loss at Bama would mean there has been no real improvement. Problem is, how do you define a "bad loss"? I'm sure everyone has a different set of specifics on that.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that so many people penciled it in as a loss a year ago doesn't make it satisfying. In fact, it's the reason so many people aren't satisfied with the fact that we retained our coach. No game should ever be penciled in as a loss a year in advance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n53136 said:
Regardless, I don't care if the lord almighty was coaching this team right now, nobody is taking this squad into AL expecting to win.
That's silly. This Bammer team is pitiful in pass defense. aTm will throw for 600 yards and pound them (assuming no QB injury). They have less talent than us. Spurrier regularly destroyed the SEC while using guys that no one else recruited and even two walkons starting at QB.

It's really time to stop making excuses for the Head Dawg. He owns it at this point. If he can't compete, it's on him.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Swamped Gator said:
Am I the only one who likes our chances in this game? Our defense should hold them in check. Our turnover margin is fantastic. We have the best offense since Meyer was here. We actually throw the ball down field. Kicking is improved. I think if we play a smart mistake free game we have a great chance to win. Simms is going to struggle against our defense. If we contain the run Bama is in trouble.
Don't know if I like our chances, but it's a game we can win. It won't be pretty if Driskel is off like the 1st half against KY and the defense is blowing assignments like in the 2nd half of the KY game. But we can trade punches with bama when we bring our A game.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n53223 said:
That's silly. This Bammer team is pitiful in pass defense. aTm will throw for 600 yards and pound them (assuming no QB injury). They have less talent than us. Spurrier regularly destroyed the SEC while using guys that no one else recruited and even two walkons starting at QB.

It's really time to stop making excuses for the Head Dawg. He owns it at this point. If he can't compete, it's on him.

Just for the sake of clarity, you are saying Alabama has less talent than UF, right now?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n53227 said:
Just for the sake of clarity, you are saying Alabama has less talent than UF, right now?

Just for sake of clarity, I'm saying that Mushchimp owns it.

It's Creyer's Fault expired two years ago.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n53227 said:
Yes, that's exactly what he's saying. Man for man, we are a better team than Bama. The disparity is so huge that it would be a colossal upset if they were to squeak out a win against us. It would make the GSU game last year pale in comparison.

dphgator96

Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
TheDouglas78 said:
Depends on the reasoning for the close loss, if it is because both teams are playing horrible then no. But if both teams are playing good and it just a back and forth game. A close loss is still a loss, but it would show that their has been growth.
I agree with 78. If they get a big lead and we come back against their second team........not so good. If we blow a lead (thinking positive) I will be pissed

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n53231 said:
Just for sake of clarity, I'm saying that Mushchimp owns it.

It's Creyer's Fault expired two years ago.

I really only asked you a simple, honest question. Why didn't/couldn't you answer it?
No one is attacking you here hoss, step back from the ledge.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I'm easy to satisfy. Just win, baby.
If the Gators get blown out, I'm going to be pissed.
If the Gators lose by 7-10 pts, I'm going to be pissed.
If the Gators lose by a last minute field goal, I'm going to be pissed.

Last year, Auburn escaped with a win.
The year before, T A&M beat them at home.
The year before, LSU beat them at home.
The year before that, Auburn beat them at home and they lost on the road to South Carolina and LSU.

In every one of those games, the winners were underdogs. So history shows us over the last 4 years, Bama has lost to a dog at home. It has only been recently that Gators fans have come to believe that dog ain't us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.