Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I see your game. Trying to get me to take my eye off the pick em ball!
Watching I See You GIF

The hell?

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
You can’t just spend a million dollars on an unproven offensive tackle from nowheresburg. You’re not just spending that million. You’re spending much more on all the other lineman on your roster who end up playing better than him or you lose those players. If he turns out to be Matt Patchan, Ruiz will have to pony up to keep the whole line happy. There’s more to this than winning ego battles on twitter with a personality disordered billionaire.

And we’re in uncharted territory now. The old model of recruiting in the top five isn’t reliable anymore either because of the transfer portal. Nobody knows where this is all going or whether x recruiting ranking means this or that coach will fail. Y’all are going to need to develop some big boy coping skills and learn to deal with the uncertainty.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So that will definitely put us outside the top 10. This class could actually be ranked worse than mullen's last 2 classes if I'm looking at correct? I just think we should hold each coach to the same standard, regardless of one being a dick and the other being a nice guy. If we end up with the 12th ranked class off of a 6-6 I'd say that is borderline train wreck. I know we should give a young coach patience. I just want to know, at what point should we start seeing results?
By signing day. That’s when we should judge him.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just to be clear: BN appears to be positioning himself for next year (assuming he is a strategist).

He's kicked the 3 stars and low 4 stars/bad performers to the curb.

He's only going after 4 stars and will not fill out with 3 stars in recruiting. This skews the average and helps the numbers.

So the argument after ESD will be ... but he didn't fill the class with 3 stars. That's why we're out of the top 10.

It's a great stalling strategy. Most fans will buy it 100%. Almost brilliant. (except Mushamp did something similar... remember the almost probation level numbers of scholarship players?)

The next challenge will be fielding a team. Which leads into next year's excuse... but we have no depth and they're young. Great stalling strategy in year 2. 8-4 best case... loss to UGa.

In year 2 recruiting, we may see a complete class. I think he'll have to figure a way to get it in 5-10. There will be grumbling. But he'll win a few against Bamma/Ga and make further in roads into FL highschools.

In year 3, we'll be young, but have quality depth, at every position. We'll win a couple we shouldn't. Still won't compete for the SECE. 9-3 or 10-2. I think UGa is a MUST win. And he'll win it.

Year 3 recruiting, he'll get a top 5 class. We pull most recruits in Fl - FSU and Miami get sloppy seconds.

Year 4 .... we'll compete first the SECE.
Top 3 class.

Year 5 ... we'll compete for the NC.
#1 class.

So, IMO, if he's a brilliant strategist, 23-24 are not going to be fun. Not worth watching if you expect to win. 25 will be fun at times. 26 will be a blast.

(Assuming he gets some coaches that can plan games and make adjustments during games)

It could happen. Holding the wolves at bay AND keeping stakeholder interest and support will be difficult. And fans ARE stakeholders too.

Pfft.

I've seen a Gator woman's bball player that.looks hot. Also, womans Volleyball has some cuties. So we have options. You listening BN?
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN
I think you're on to something there and have a good perspective on what Napier is doing. I've said for a while now that the absolute shyt show he walked in to cannot be turned that easily. My thoughts, Year one you have to survive and install your system. Two, reinforce your new culture while replenishing the talent. Three, taking the talent you're getting (if improved) while young competing against the big ones. Four, your making moves an in the thick of it. Think you opinion warrants some merit and perhaps in line with BN.

Definitely I want to win now. But I also want the program fixed. Where's that balance and what do we do to wait? For now I am willing to see where he's taking this. The last three azzhats couldn't do it and BN approach is different.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Someone better let Kirby know the reason he's dominating college football right now isn't from all his 5 stars and top 3 recruiting classes. It's from his "4 star averages" and "his number of 3 stars he's got less then Miami". I'm sure he'd much rather have the number 12th ranked class then the number 3 ranked class as long as the 12th ranked class has less 3 stars then #3. :facepalm:
And that walk-on QB who beat out & ran off his 5* recruits. Which is crazy unusual. Needle in a haystack.

Guys like him and Trask are rare so be happy when we get them, but generally speaking you will find a higher % of difference makers among the top 100 &/or top 10 by position.

That’s why getting guys like Rashada and Lagway every year is so important. Neither is a sure thing, but you’re likely to hit on one over 3-4 cycles.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Just to be clear: BN appears to be positioning himself for next year (assuming he is a strategist).

He's kicked the 3 stars and low 4 stars/bad performers to the curb.

He's only going after 4 stars and will not fill out with 3 stars in recruiting. This skews the average and helps the numbers.

So the argument after ESD will be ... but he didn't fill the class with 3 stars. That's why we're out of the top 10.

It's a great stalling strategy. Most fans will buy it 100%. Almost brilliant. (except Mushamp did something similar... remember the almost probation level numbers of scholarship players?)

The next challenge will be fielding a team. Which leads into next year's excuse... but we have no depth and they're young. Great stalling strategy in year 2. 8-4 best case... loss to UGa.

In year 2 recruiting, we may see a complete class. I think he'll have to figure a way to get it in 5-10. There will be grumbling. But he'll win a few against Bamma/Ga and make further in roads into FL highschools.

In year 3, we'll be young, but have quality depth, at every position. We'll win a couple we shouldn't. Still won't compete for the SECE. 9-3 or 10-2. I think UGa is a MUST win. And he'll win it.

Year 3 recruiting, he'll get a top 5 class. We pull most recruits in Fl - FSU and Miami get sloppy seconds.

Year 4 .... we'll compete first the SECE.
Top 3 class.

Year 5 ... we'll compete for the NC.
#1 class.

So, IMO, if he's a brilliant strategist, 23-24 are not going to be fun. Not worth watching if you expect to win. 25 will be fun at times. 26 will be a blast.

(Assuming he gets some coaches that can plan games and make adjustments during games)

It could happen. Holding the wolves at bay AND keeping stakeholder interest and support will be difficult. And fans ARE stakeholders too.

Pfft.

I've seen a Gator woman's bball player that.looks hot. Also, womans Volleyball has some cuties. So we have options. You listening BN?
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN
Sounds like a methodical plan similar to Charlie Pell. Yet, with today's "I want it now mentality", player movement thru the portal, obsession over *'s of HS players and the money of NIL. he won't get a five year leash unless the on field product improves dramatically. We just do not know what the staying power will be of the incoming talent with one foot out the door before enrolling for the first class. I hope it works!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Sounds like a methodical plan similar to Charlie Pell. Yet, with today's "I want it now mentality", player movement thru the portal, obsession over *'s of HS players and the money of NIL. he won't get a five year leash unless the on field product improves dramatically. We just do not know what the staying power will be of the incoming talent with one foot out the door before enrolling for the first class. I hope it works!
It appears Jimbo has survived his implosion in year 5 because he’s got promising recruiting classes rolling. BN gets it and has built the organization to do it, but he’s got to close on it. He knows that and I’m hoping he will.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Why would anybody listen to that? Particularly a Gator fan?
Because he's being an anti-Gator, asshat troll right now for reasons I still don't understand. I'm guessing he's getting some kind of personal kick out of it, but I don't recall him ever acting this way before. Many Gator fans are simply broken.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Because he's being an anti-Gator, asshat troll right now for reasons I still don't understand. I'm guessing he's getting some kind of personal kick out of it, but I don't recall him ever acting this way before. Many Gator fans are simply broken.

Other than McClain, I haven’t seen where we’ve really lost on a kid that we were expected to get. In fact, it’s pretty much been the opposite. The only other kid that I’ve seen that was a lean to us that we did not get was Rashada. And we ended up getting him in the end anyway.

I guess maybe you could say Kinsler? But I don’t know if he’s some sort of top end talent or not.

I’m also seeing a lot of hand ringing on Walker. And people are really upset that he has not flipped. A lot of attacking of the kid.. Calling him soft. A mamas boy. Etc…

My son just got accepted to USF on a full academic ride. We live in Tampa. We won’t know whether he gets accepted to UF until February. But even if he does get accepted, we don’t even know whether he will choose to go to UF. He likes being close to home. And he likes USF. He’s familiar with USF.

Sometimes kids go where they want to go. It just is what it is.

Forgetting about in IL for a minute, the portal has completely changed recruiting. High school kids are only half of the equation now.

Half.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I want all of you guys pumping UM to go look at their class and tell me; what about their "Top 5" class screams quality? A few highly rated players with a bunch of filler. You know who else did that? Muschamp.

The approach Billy is taking is trying to not take a bunch of roster fodder and instead take quality. I'm okay with this. Doesn't matter how good Samson or CorMoney is if you don't have a QB or talent around them to win games....

I really don't give a **** about recruiting ranking. We've had top classes with muschamp that were weighted with defensive guys that some never panned out. We have had top 10 classes that never amounted to **** with the last couple of coaches....

If the guys Billy brought in last year are any indication, we are going to get more balanced quality and that's what we need...

Now eventually you need to land the bigger guys but give me our current class over Miami's, UT, etc...

balance > top heavy

Last edited:

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Anti gator ass hat ? That hurts. I honestly don’t care. Broken? Perhaps , I’ve become conditioned To expect mediocrity from our gators. I was just posting a puff piece on UM for everyone’s consideration. If it offended , I apologize.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Other than McClain, I haven’t seen where we’ve really lost on a kid that we were expected to get. In fact, it’s pretty much been the opposite. The only other kid that I’ve seen that was a lean to us that we did not get was Rashada. And we ended up getting him in the end anyway.

I guess maybe you could say Kinsler? But I don’t know if he’s some sort of top end talent or not.

I’m also seeing a lot of hand ringing on Walker. And people are really upset that he has not flipped. A lot of attacking of the kid.. Calling him soft. A mamas boy. Etc…

My son just got accepted to USF on a full academic ride. We live in Tampa. We won’t know whether he gets accepted to UF until February. But even if he does get accepted, we don’t even know whether he will choose to go to UF. He likes being close to home. And he likes USF. He’s familiar with USF.

Sometimes kids go where they want to go. It just is what it is.

Forgetting about in IL for a minute, the portal has compifletely changed recruiting. High school kids are only half of the equation now.

Half.

Why are we recruiting even recruiting these kids if they're " expected " to go elsewhere? If all these guys that we're missing on we're strongly favoring other schools why aren't we recruiting some guys that we can get? Rather than sitting here holding our dicks with only 21 commits? We drug Dan Mullen through the mud because a kid picked ucf over and now Napier gets a pass?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Why are we recruiting even recruiting these kids if they're " expected " to go elsewhere? If all these guys that we're missing on we're strongly favoring other schools why aren't we recruiting some guys that we can get? Rather than sitting here holding our dicks with only 21 commits? We drug Dan Mullen through the mud because a kid picked ucf over and now Napier gets a pass?
Would you rather we fill the class with mediocre 3 stars like Mullen did? There are only so many five stars available.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

Let me get this straight; you'd rather not shoot our shot with elite players and instead take a bunch of low hanging three/four star guys that will never contribute? Look at our transfers, not a single one of them should have been offered a scholarship, the most impactful transfer that we lost was Hopper last year who joined his brother at Mizzou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator