2024 Investing Thread

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What are your thoughts about oil taking off?
So much confusion around oil....some people say demand will go down in the short term. Others say America is producing more than enough to make up for any shortages if demand spikes....still others say shale oil lifespans are getting long which without further development means a shortage down the road

......I'm soooo confused by oil

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My mom's family farm in Texas is about an hour SE of San Antonio. About 20 years ago, this Eagle Ford shale oil turned all this area into a money producing machine. For my family's farm, a company drills under their land from like 5 miles away. We are not talking huge money here... but consistently ~$5000 a month. Which is a really big deal to farmers who are used to never having money. My uncle is so old now that he leases all the top soil anyway.

Anywho.... Marathon reached out to us yesterday. They said the currently company is completely screwing us over, they can prove it, they want to use it to break the lease.... and they would like to put 2 rigs directly on the property. :naughty:

Eagle-Ford-Shale-Map-800x6141.jpeg

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
My mom's family farm in Texas is about an hour SE of San Antonio. About 20 years ago, this Eagle Ford shale oil turned all this area into a money producing machine. For my family's farm, a company drills under their land from like 5 miles away. We are not talking huge money here... but consistently ~$5000 a month. Which is a really big deal to farmers who are used to never having money. My uncle is so old now that he leases all the top soil anyway.

Anywho.... Marathon reached out to us yesterday. They said the currently company is completely screwing us over, they can prove it, they want to use it to break the lease.... and they would like to put 2 rigs directly on the property. :naughty:

Definitely consult with legal. Make sure you're not getting screwed.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

We have partial ownership of 8 wells in shale in Texas. Not get rich money, but a smaller than Brad's monthly check. Once built, the wells have been sold from the original driller to a different company. We get monthly reposts on the oil and gas from the wells each month. Its pretty detailed. Our proceeds look to be correct from the company report. We have also checked those reports againsts the reports the state of Texas produces.

Do you get monthy reports from the driller?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have partial ownership of 8 wells in shale in Texas. Not get rich money, but a smaller than Brad's monthly check. Once built, the wells have been sold from the original driller to a different company. We get monthly reposts on the oil and gas from the wells each month. Its pretty detailed. Our proceeds look to be correct from the company report. We have also checked those reports againsts the reports the state of Texas produces.

Do you get monthy reports from the driller?

Well... yes. But it's complicated. My mom owned half and my uncle owned half. When she passed away, we set it up so that her portion went to my uncle. However, everything is setup to fall my sister and me when he passes away. My uncle never married and has no kids. The thought being, it's his farm... he should get any money it produces.

Both my sister and me are numbers people. So if we were "in control", then we'd do everything you are doing. We have suspected it for some time, and we try to delicately give some input when we can. But these old people dont like to "fight the man" and ruffle feathers. He's happy with his $5000 monthly check and doesnt want to disturb the process. They have absolutely zero trust for lawyers.

Marathon is claiming those monthly reports are wrong (as you indicated... by comparing them the Texas reports). So, the cool thing is they already did all the homework. It'll be interesting to see what my uncle does.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Well... yes. But it's complicated. My mom owned half and my uncle owned half. When she passed away, we set it up so that her portion went to my uncle. However, everything is setup to fall my sister and me when he passes away. My uncle never married and has no kids. The thought being, it's his farm... he should get any money it produces.

Both my sister and me are numbers people. So if we were "in control", then we'd do everything you are doing. We have suspected it for some time, and we try to delicately give some input when we can. But these old people dont like to "fight the man" and ruffle feathers. He's happy with his $5000 monthly check and doesnt want to disturb the process. They have absolutely zero trust for lawyers.

Marathon is claiming those monthly reports are wrong (as you indicated... by comparing them the Texas reports). So, the cool thing is they already did all the homework. It'll be interesting to see what my uncle does.
It will be. Please let us know.

My wife' grandfather grew up in texas in bout a patch of land with his cousin. University of Texas owns several hundred acres on the adjacent property. They both died and the land was passed down before any drilling happened. We partnered with UT for the drilling project. The wells are on our property, and the frack lines run mostly on the UT land. We all share the proceeds. ITs amazing how much oil land UT owns.

My MIL set up a LLC and gave us and my BIL a portion of hers. At death is flows to my wife and BIL. So we are owners and have access to the company reports and such. Otherwise, we would be stuck in your position.

Good luck and keep up posted.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Between your daughter and your uncle, it is a damn good thing you have compe

Between your Daughter and your uncle, it is a damn good thing you have competent people managing your money. :fistbump:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I've also done quite a bit of drilling on your mom's property.

And yeah, she was getting screwed.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Just checked AT&T stock to see if outage today caused a sell off...was hoping for more of a drop to scoop up some of that 7.0% divvy....

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Not sure if anyone is interested but I just saw where Costco is now selling 1oz gold bars at $30 over spot...that is less than any dealer is offering, and you can get cash back bringing it below spot price, limit 2....Do not take this as advice but with gold being less than .05% of ALL investments in the US and with it going mainstream and central banks buying it as fast as they can get it loaded into their vaults I think we'll see 5k well before next decade.

There is a formula I came across a couple of weeks back that shows if it becomes even 1.5% of investment assets in this county and factoring in 2030's projected cost(inflation/QE) gold could in fact be well above 10K and even as high as 15k....take it for what it's worth....

Edit....I just saw that they have sold over 100 million dollars worth in their first run and were running out in hours....no wonder gold price is at all time highs even with higher interest rates....wow
Item number...or it didn't happen!

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

When I was kid returning to my birth place in Fort Worth, the saying was, "if you don't have an oil well...get one!"

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dumped my GOOGL. Feels like they are having a Bud Light moment with their racist ass AI launch

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator