Coaching quality: The Case against Kirby Smart (and for Dan Mullen)

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Cool man. I am the average fan. But even my average behind can see we’re a lot better now than we were 3-11 years ago. I remember the 2006 season we struggled to beat Kentucky. That year turned out pretty decent if memory serves correctly.
In 2006 we beat Kentucky 26-7 and shut them out in the second half. Some struggle.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
@Jaguar45 Funny thing is the “average fan” couldn’t explain anything that most of us bitch about...I’m not being a dumper and most of us aren’t...we’re just not happy with the status quo...if you’re happy being the Stanford of the SEC and enjoy going to the rose bowl instead of the Natty then by all means pump away...I don’t think you understand how much more of a fan most of the people are on this site than even the other messaging boards...have you tried to explain formations and cover scenarios with people on 24/7? Or Swampgas? I’m not putting them down but if they’re more excited about LED lights Uniform combos and WIFI than recruiting you can almost always tell the types of fans they are...I appreciate everyone’s opinion and thanks for posting your thoughts either way...By no means am I saying anything personally about you just that most pumpers are not very well versed in actual football

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Yep, two TO’s didn’t help. Point is, we were in full control of that game. Result wasn’t in doubt once we went up 19-7 early in the 3rd.

Jaguar45

Nov 16, 2017
@Jaguar45 Funny thing is the “average fan” couldn’t explain anything that most of us ***** about...I’m not being a dumper and most of us aren’t...we’re just not happy with the status quo...if you’re happy being the Stanford of the SEC and enjoy going to the rose bowl instead of the Natty then by all means pump away...I don’t think you understand how much more of a fan most of the people are on this site than even the other messaging boards...have you tried to explain formations and cover scenarios with people on 24/7? Or Swampgas? I’m not putting them down but if they’re more excited about LED lights Uniform combos and WIFI than recruiting you can almost always tell the types of fans they are...I appreciate everyone’s opinion and thanks for posting your thoughts either way...By no means am I saying anything personally about you just that most pumpers are not very well versed in actual football
I appreciate your candor. I played football from the time I was 8 until I was old enough to join the military at 18. I didn’t play football past high school. So there’s my playing experience. Am I an ex’s and O’s magician? My wife would tell you I think that I am. Sadly, I don’t know much but I know enough to hold a decent conversation. Regardless, I’ve grown up a Gator fan, and I’ll die a Gator fan. An average Gator fan. I just don’t agree that we’re in a perilous state especially when I’ve seen progression.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I appreciate your candor. I played football from the time I was 8 until I was old enough to join the military at 18. I didn’t play football past high school. So there’s my playing experience. Am I an ex’s and O’s magician? My wife would tell you I think that I am. Sadly, I don’t know much but I know enough to hold a decent conversation. Regardless, I’ve grown up a Gator fan, and I’ll die a Gator fan. An average Gator fan. I just don’t agree that we’re in a perilous state especially when I’ve seen progression.

Being bluntly honest do you think Mullen will win win a natty at UF? Do you feel the progression is in that direction? Or do you think some more progress needs to be made to get to that point?

Jaguar45

Nov 16, 2017
Being bluntly honest do you think Mullen will win win a natty at UF? Do you feel the progression is in that direction? Or do you think some more progress needs to be made to get to that point?
I think when men like Coach Orgeron or Coach Chizik are capable of winning titles then why not? I think Mullen can. I believe it would be easier if he had better/more capable assistants. He certainly hasn’t hurt this program IMO.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I think when men like Coach Orgeron or Coach Chizik are capable of winning titles then why not? I think Mullen can. I believe it would be easier if he had better/more capable assistants. He certainly hasn’t hurt this program IMO.
Who hired those assistants?

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
The recruiting might be second on my list of aggravations...keeping Knox Gonzo and English on the recruiting trail is my biggest concern with him as a coach

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Uh huh. What was the score? If Mullen had that many yards but a close score, you'd be complaining that the simple scheme sucks in the red zone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The recruiting might be second on my list of aggravations...keeping Knox Gonzo and English on the recruiting trail is my biggest concern with him as a coach
You guys always forget the name Robinson when discussing abject failures.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You guys always forget the name Robinson when discussing abject failures.
have to agree. Our LB crootin is the complete abortion that no one ever seems to mention. And the play on the field is nearly as bad. I've consistently griped about how bad our LB situation is for years but it seems to be an afterthought to most. It's so bad that when we see a player like David Reese we think he's all world. Not knocking the kid at all but the truth is he would have had a hard time seeing the field if the position was where it should be and where it has been consistently in the past. It's also another big reason we are :kiffin: against the run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.