Florida's starting lineup

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever said:
Concrete Helmet;n40166 said:
The real question is would you feel the same way if KT went down with a knee or hip injury in the 5th game after averaging 25 carries a game. Every good team with a strong running game has at least 3 quality backs splitting reps. See UGA, Bama, LSU and so on.

Those teams let their top backs get the most carries by far over the others unless its a real close call like Bama has this season with their RB situation and have had a few seasons recently. Taylor and Jones is not a close call I would think and we have some other backs that should take some carries from Jones to give Taylor relief.
Did you watch the Bama or LSU games ? Of course UGA will run Gurley more than the other 2 and I'll bet you right now he gets hobbled by mid season.
It wouldn't bother me at all if Taylor got 50% or so of the carries but let's at least give Jones and Brown some work to keep Kelvin fresh and hopefully injury free. Mack Brown has spent 3 years running behind an awful line and still managed to turn in some decent runs along with not turning the ball over so I think he has earned some reps also.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
Concrete Helmet;n40166 said:
The real question is would you feel the same way if KT went down with a knee or hip injury in the 5th game after averaging 25 carries a game. Every good team with a strong running game has at least 3 quality backs splitting reps. See UGA, Bama, LSU and so on.

Those teams let their top backs get the most carries by far over the others unless its a real close call like Bama has this season with their RB situation and have had a few seasons recently. Taylor and Jones is not a close call I would think and we have some other backs that should take some carries from Jones to give Taylor relief.
Don't forget, we also have Lane as a backup. I really want to see how well he runs once he gets the ball.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n40197 said:
Have we seen Jones run healthy? I think Taylor is our best back, but the talent level might be to the point were it is in our best interest to run multiple backs. Spurrier did the same thing in the 1990's when he had three backs who did different things and kept them all fresh.

OK but what does Jones do great running wise ? He has good hands for a back I will give him that but unless its different this season he doesn't really even punish a defense with his size. Most of his big runs late were from the O line starting to create real big holes where he could get his speed up before contact.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
oxrageous;n40070 said:
I think many people are of the opinion that they shouldn't be splitting reps, at least not evenly. I'd be in favor of a 95/5 split KT/MJ.

Great workhorse backs have been getting 20 carries a game without being injured for 100 years now. You make it sound rare.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n40239 said:
OK but what does Jones do great running wise ? He has good hands for a back I will give him that but unless its different this season he doesn't really even punish a defense with his size. Most of his big runs late were from the O line starting to create real big holes where he could get his speed up before contact.

He is supposed to have good speed and good power. But also haven't truly seen him healthy or behind a line that can block. I don't think he is as talented as Taylor, but doesn't mean it can't help to have him split carries. We are not at practice, and do not see what the coaches see. At this point until the offense actually has a couple of games in we have to trust what the coaches are seeing.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fever, neither you nor I have seen him run this year. The people who have including Thomas, Zach and others from the Nat'l media who have seen both of them have said that they are even. Yes they are different runners, yes KT has a faster first step, however MJ has consistently turned in faster 40's.And later in the 2012 season I can remember him pushing the pile a number of times. Players mature and they get better. You can call me a pumper all you want but I prefer to take the opinion of people who have seen them both. It's also not like the same backs at all, on Saturday it didn't make sense on a slick wet field to use a cutting back but to rather go with a north/south type guy.And all coaches go by who is hot, in practice all week and by who performs better in games.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n40266 said:
Fever, neither you nor I have seen him run this year. The people who have including Thomas, Zach and others from the Nat'l media who have seen both of them have said that they are even. Yes they are different runners, yes KT has a faster first step, however MJ has consistently turned in faster 40's.And later in the 2012 season I can remember him pushing the pile a number of times. Players mature and they get better. You can call me a pumper all you want but I prefer to take the opinion of people who have seen them both. It's also not like the same backs at all, on Saturday it didn't make sense on a slick wet field to use a cutting back but to rather go with a north/south type guy.And all coaches go by who is hot, in practice all week and by who performs better in games.

Well people like you can continue to think that but in a game situation he is not even in the ballpark of someone like Taylor and as far as his 40 time that doesn't mean squat when you don't have quick instincts to know where you are heading and start like your shoes have concrete in them despite any 40 times. You keep taking the opinion of Muschamp,Thomas, Zach and others from the Nat'l media who say they are even. My guess is once we get into the heart of the schedule starting with the Bama game people are going to be going crazy if he is getting anywhere near the carries Taylor gets.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Gator Fever;n40239 said:

He is supposed to have good speed and good power. But also haven't truly seen him healthy or behind a line that can block. I don't think he is as talented as Taylor, but doesn't mean it can't help to have him split carries. We are not at practice, and do not see what the coaches see. At this point until the offense actually has a couple of games in we have to trust what the coaches are seeing.
We saw who Muschamp wanted in there until he was basically forced to play Taylor.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Gator Fever;n40239 said:

I wasn't aware our offense ran a play Saturday night.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
People like me? In the first place I don't take Muschamps opinion for anything in this discussion nor have I taken his opinion generally into account. I do quote him and use his quotes to illustrate his thinking. And yes I will take Thomas' opinion or Zach's over yours anyday considering they have seen him recently in person, you can think he he has concrete in his shoes and that's fine, but the limited film I've seen on him this off season he's been hitting the hole and line quickly, just as reported. I know you believe that's there some kind of conspiracy by Foley and the media to make WM look good as you've stated repeatedly, but there isn't. And yes in open field a 40 time does mean something, that's why you generally get faster players as Rb's.As far as you're guess, try going back and looking at Roper's offense, this is going to be a running back by committee he likes to spread it around. Oh and by the way, in 2012 jones (in the season he was healthy) averaged 5.3 yds a carry which isn't bad, KT avg 4.6. Both will have improved in strength speed and knowledge of the playbook which no matter what you say does matter. Not to mention an improved OL.Which with 2 main backs who run differently will increase boths yaredage.

Swampy

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n40109 said:
Tough crowd.

I remember a game against Georgia in the slop. Wet, muddy, messy. It was 1993. Danny Wuerffel struggled with the wet ball in the first quarter. The HBC noticed in warm-ups that back-up Terry Dean's throws were crisper. Dean's hands were stronger that Wuerffel's and he threw a wet ball better. With Georgia leading by a touchdown in the second quarter, Coach Steve Spurrier benched Danny Wueurffel. Let that sink in kids.

Terry Dean tossed a TD pass to Harrison Houston to tie it up at halftime, then Spurrier unleashed Errict Rhett. He ran like a man possessed, around, over, and through the Georgia defense. Place kicker Judd Davis was perfect scoring 15 points (4 FG and 3 XP) that day, and that performance helped him win the 1993 Lou Groza Award. Most remember the game because of a game-saving time out called by Anthone Lott in the closing seconds of the game.

The take home message? Sometimes the elements determine what happens on the field. A good coach, like the HBC, isn't married to his gameplan. He understands the conditions, he adapts, and he overcomes. Spurrier wanted Danny to throw the ball around and beat Georgia by 30. Spurrier doesn't like kicking field goals. He doesn't like handing it off 40 times a game. But he really, really hates losing. When Danny wasn't connecting through the air, Spurrier adapted to the conditions and prevailed against his bitterest rival.

Is that what we were doing on Saturday? Adapting to the conditions? Oh, I dunno for sure, but I HOPE so. It's hard to by a cut-back, slashing runner in slop. It's hard to throw and catch in a monsoon. Ultimately, the game wasn't played so we don't know for sure. Time will tell. In the interim, let's not judge an entire season based on a tiny sliver of evidence.

Alex.
Alex, please don't come in here ruining this perfectly good thread with sound reasoning and logic.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Swampy said:
AlexDaGator;n40109 said:
Tough crowd.

I remember a game against Georgia in the slop. Wet, muddy, messy. It was 1993. Danny Wuerffel struggled with the wet ball in the first quarter. The HBC noticed in warm-ups that back-up Terry Dean's throws were crisper. Dean's hands were stronger that Wuerffel's and he threw a wet ball better. With Georgia leading by a touchdown in the second quarter, Coach Steve Spurrier benched Danny Wueurffel. Let that sink in kids.

Terry Dean tossed a TD pass to Harrison Houston to tie it up at halftime, then Spurrier unleashed Errict Rhett. He ran like a man possessed, around, over, and through the Georgia defense. Place kicker Judd Davis was perfect scoring 15 points (4 FG and 3 XP) that day, and that performance helped him win the 1993 Lou Groza Award. Most remember the game because of a game-saving time out called by Anthone Lott in the closing seconds of the game.

The take home message? Sometimes the elements determine what happens on the field. A good coach, like the HBC, isn't married to his gameplan. He understands the conditions, he adapts, and he overcomes. Spurrier wanted Danny to throw the ball around and beat Georgia by 30. Spurrier doesn't like kicking field goals. He doesn't like handing it off 40 times a game. But he really, really hates losing. When Danny wasn't connecting through the air, Spurrier adapted to the conditions and prevailed against his bitterest rival.

Is that what we were doing on Saturday? Adapting to the conditions? Oh, I dunno for sure, but I HOPE so. It's hard to by a cut-back, slashing runner in slop. It's hard to throw and catch in a monsoon. Ultimately, the game wasn't played so we don't know for sure. Time will tell. In the interim, let's not judge an entire season based on a tiny sliver of evidence.

Alex.
Alex, please don't come in here ruining this perfectly good thread with sound reasoning and logic.
He's good at that and it's infuriating.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
People like me? In the first place I don't take Muschamps opinion for anything in this discussion nor have I taken his opinion generally into account. I do quote him and use his quotes to illustrate his thinking. And yes I will take Thomas' opinion or Zach's over yours anyday considering they have seen him recently in person, you can think he he has concrete in his shoes and that's fine, but the limited film I've seen on him this off season he's been hitting the hole and line quickly, just as reported. I know you believe that's there some kind of conspiracy by Foley and the media to make WM look good as you've stated repeatedly, but there isn't. And yes in open field a 40 time does mean something, that's why you generally get faster players as Rb's.As far as you're guess, try going back and looking at Roper's offense, this is going to be a running back by committee he likes to spread it around. Oh and by the way, in 2012 jones (in the season he was healthy) averaged 5.3 yds a carry which isn't bad, KT avg 4.6. Both will have improved in strength speed and knowledge of the playbook which no matter what you say does matter. Not to mention an improved OL.Which with 2 main backs who run differently will increase boths yaredage.
Well take their opinions over mine and believe Taylor and Jones are even at RB in reality. I don't even know what to say about that. At least the media has the excuse they have to tow the line some in their reporting to keep a little access.

You do know Jones got much of that when our Jumbo package created huge holes late in games that anyone could have ran through..

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Concrete Helmet said:
oxrageous;n40070 said:
I think many people are of the opinion that they shouldn't be splitting reps, at least not evenly. I'd be in favor of a 95/5 split KT/MJ.

It's getting rarer because of the level of play over the last 5 years or so.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n40285 said:
Well people like you can continue to think that but in a game situation he is not even in the ballpark of someone like Taylor and as far as his 40 time that doesn't mean squat when you don't have quick instincts to know where you are heading and start like your shoes have concrete in them despite any 40 times. You keep taking the opinion of Muschamp,Thomas, Zach and others from the Nat'l media who say they are even. My guess is once we get into the heart of the schedule starting with the Bama game people are going to be going crazy if he is getting anywhere near the carries Taylor gets.

Gator fever be like :nutswinger:on KT!

:dance:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'll kick you guys asses if you mess with gator fever

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n40581 said:
I'll kick you guys asses if you mess with gator fever

you :nutswinger:gator Fever?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've gotta look out for fever he's slower than Matt Jones first step

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n40109 said:
A good coach, like the HBC, isn't married to his gameplan. He understands the conditions, he adapts, and he overcomes.
You have basically and accurately described the antithesis of the current HC. At no point in the last three years has he done that. Therefore you can probably understand why people are skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.